Author Topic: Is this a good price for a HP 54645D?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline poot36Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is this a good price for a HP 54645D?
« on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:27 am »
I can get this scope LA combo for $100 but it does not work correctly and does not come with probes  (I do have probes from a Tektronics 465 scope so that is no problem).  It does power on but does not operate correctly according to the ad.  Would bad caps or a dead Dallas ram module be the most likely fault in this model?  I have sent the seller a message about what the self test reports.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:13:32 am by poot36 »

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is this a good price for a HP 54645D?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:08:51 pm »
There is very limited service information available on these.  Service was basically by board swap.  If you are very good, you might be able to troubleshoot it.

Does it have the logic pod?  You can spend up to a couple hundred on that if it doesn't come with the scope.

There were also piggyback modules for that scope that added fft and gpib or serial comm.  Does it come with any?  Those can be $50-150

I have one that's all tricked out and I like it.  But I would probably go for one that doesn't have any problems or more likely a 54622d.  The 54622d is around the same price but is the 54645d replacement and the firmware can be updated.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:57 am »
I don't know if it has the logic pod but if it is like the HP 1660 series pods I would just use a floppy drive cable to my existing pod from my HP 1661C logic analyser.  I have no clue as to what modules it comes with.  Because I am in Calgary in Canada getting a scope here is fairly hard and the cheapest 54622d that I can find on eBay would cost over $400 once it gets here a 54645d on the other hand that is working but cosmetically beat up costs around $300 to $350.  The seller has gotten back to me and says that the display is garbled.  Would a bad rom chip cause this or could the video chip of the system be bad?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:21:04 am »
Bargain if you can fix it.
Did Free_Electron mention on here that these models suffer from bad caps or some other PSU issue?

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:23:39 am »
I don't know if it has the logic pod but if it is like the HP 1660 series pods I would just use a floppy drive cable to my existing pod from my HP 1661C logic analyser.  I have no clue as to what modules it comes with.  Because I am in Calgary in Canada getting a scope here is fairly hard and the cheapest 54622d that I can find on eBay would cost over $400 once it gets here a 54645d on the other hand that is working but cosmetically beat up costs around $300 to $350.  The seller has gotten back to me and says that the display is garbled.  Would a bad rom chip cause this or could the video chip of the system be bad?

Garbled could be logic garbled, random characters or it could be hardware in the monitor assembly. A picture of the garbled display would help.

(In your first post you offered to send the seller a 'mAssage' I think you mean mEssage. Anybody who sent me a massage may get a discount)  :D

Fixing a bad scope can be more exciting than buying a good one. Plenty of examples on the forum.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:22:16 am »
Ok, typo in original post has been fixed.  As far as I can tell the place that is selling the scope + LA is a surplus re-seller for other companys.  The website is www.allsold.ca if you want to check it out.  I am not sure if bargaining would be on the table in this case.  I guess I could wait a few weeks and then try offering them a lower price to see how desperate they are to move old product.  I will ask for a picture of the screen but I don't have high hopes of getting one due to the aforementioned case.  If I can get it for around $50 or so I may go for it.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:43:30 am »
Just a quick thought: these pods container RC Networks tobwork properly. Using a floppy cable is not the same.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »
I have some pods from a HP 1661C Logic analyser that have the termination network in them.  I just realised that a floppy drive cable does not have enough pins for the connector so I will have to use a IDE cable and remove some of the extra holes on the plug side.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf