Author Topic: Fluke 376 True-rms AC/DC Clamp Meter with iFlex  (Read 3574 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
Fluke 376 True-rms AC/DC Clamp Meter with iFlex
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:27:59 am »
Howdy guys,

I haven't been very active the last couple of months. And I re-arrive with one of those dead horse questions...

I've been thinking about getting a clamp meter for quite a while now, and I'm ready to put my money where my words are.

No special requirements, but a handy general purpose meter that's also useful for electronics.

Have you guys got opinions about the Fluke 376 before I buy it?

Actually, since I'm asking, and I have totally forgotten to look, do Brymen do clamp meters? They must, surely...

Offline noidea

• Supporter
Re: Fluke 376 True-rms AC/DC Clamp Meter with iFlex
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:35 am »
I would not consider one of these as a meter that's useful for electronics by any means, more a tool for an electrician working with motors etc. I used to use a Fluke 335 which had a very similar specs but no iflex current clamp and as an A/C tech work on a lot of inverter air conditioners. Things it could do well were inrush current measurement for direct online start motors and measure frequency via the clamp to work out how fast inverter compressors were running but for general electronics troubleshooting I used to fall back to an old Fluke 12 or 116 meter.

I'm not sure about Brymen and clamp meters, currently I'm using a Cabac T9005 which is a rebranded CHY firemate meter. It can do DC as well as AC Amps and, Inrush current, Min Max, frequency, Temp, capacitance and diode but has a pretty limited resistance range 9999K. I had to give the 335 back when I left a previous employer and haven't really missed it.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:14:04 am »
Cant say anything about the Fluke 376. But I have the Fluke 375 and it really is more a electricians clamp meter. The resolution on volts and amps is poor, resistance doesnt really go high. So its only good for larger currents and inrush current measurments.
But there should be a Fluke clamp meter that is more suited for electronics use. I forgot the model number, I want one too.

Edit: typo
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:35:58 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

You're right. It's a bit much to ask for a clamp meter to be useful for electronics. They're crap. And we have better options for our low-current stuff. I rushed my first post. maybe I meant to say "not totally shit for electronics" But they're going to be, really. Unless you dump > 1K on a process meter.

But check this bad boy out:
0-32V DC,  160 amps, 3 phase - https://www.bidbud.co.nz/1389565220

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:34 pm »
Hi

Have you considered the UT210E?

It may not have the Fluke caliber but many here on the forum have given it a thumbs up for electronics work,  it can measure down to 1mA reasonably well.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:23 pm »
I have not. And would not have, had you not mentioned it. No time now, but I'll search the forum tomorrow and see what falls out.

Thanks mate.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:06:28 am »
I've got the bigger bro similar spec Fluke 381 and while both it and 376 are great for electrical and some car troubleshoots, (the iFlex thingie is very handy sometimes) you won't get a lot of useful action for electronics

I second the Uni-T UT210E has a good rep with users here, and cheap!   :clap:   I keep forgetting to snag one   :-[
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:50:19 am by Electro Detective »

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:45:33 am »
I have not. And would not have, had you not mentioned it. No time now, but I'll search the forum tomorrow and see what falls out.

Thanks mate.

Also recommend the UT210E. This should get you started (and quite possibly finished) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:56 am »
This should get you started (and quite possibly finished) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/
OK. Bought one. Why wouldn't you, for the price?

Thanks guys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf