Author Topic: Fluke 289/287/233/101 battery lock replacement ?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Ivan_s_LabTopic starter

Fluke 289/287/233/101 battery lock replacement ?
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:16:38 pm »
Greetings, I recently purchased some equipment from an electronics lab that was closing down. And one of the items I got is a Fluke 233  :-DMM . However I noticed that the battery lock is missing.
It's this black piece with a flathead slot that looks like this:

I believe its the same as the one on my Fluke 287(289) as well as on the Fluke 101. But I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. Any ideas ?

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 289/287/233/101 battery lock replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 01:32:41 pm »
Good Mornin' Ivan,
     My Fluke 189 has 2 of them on the battery door, and one is mangled a tad as they tend to get hung up, and requiring some force to get them in just the right position.  I can't tell for sure, but mine look smaller.  Poor design.  I would much rather have had a captive screw into a brass insert,
but being Fluke, they probably thought that would compromize their Cat rating.
      I don't know where you would find a replacement, but if you do, please post your find here.
Good luck. :-/O

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »
Fluke manual  says (page 19)

https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/233_____cieng0000.pdf

MP22 FLUKE-233-2005,BATTERY DOOR, MAIN 3383762

Battery door can be found on ebay, but if you have access to 3D printer or can get someone who can print just the battery lock, see

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4090588

The thingiverse site takes a long time to load for some reason.

If it that site doesn't load, I just searched for

fluke 289 battery lock 3d print

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:54:22 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 02:28:22 am »
Even though this is an older post, it may be relevant for a long time to come,
as this issue won't be going away anytime soon with all the Fluke meters out there for over 10 years, and still being manufactured..

I've had the same issue with my Fluke 289 for years,
praying the broken and crumbling silly plastic lock would hold,
which was always half turned to lock/unlock with my thumbnail carefully whilst 'meter whispering'  :-*  close up,
and not forced with a screw driver.

Otherwise once that silly part got totally disintegrated (update:yesterday) with no (cough..r!poff priced) Fluke part available
without buying a  (cough..r!poff priced)  complete back replacement,
I was planning to resort to eyesore duct tape,
and as a twofer, kill the resale value of the meter sometime in the  -very distant future-   = I still like this meter  :-+

Anyways, I got to thinking and came across this post here about it, so time for some 'homework'. 

For starters:

the Fluke 289, 233, and 1507 all share the same half turn lock knob arrangement. Most likely the 287 too, if any others I don't know   :-//

So for now, because the 1507 gets used less, already has an extremely tight back,
and has it's yellow holster as well to hide my duct tape handiwork,
I put (carefully sliding and nudging) its lock on to the 289
and now, no more crossed fingers or popped back for the batteries to fly everywhere,
and or the plastic back dropped/damaged/shattered.

Mini Rant:  >:(  These Fluking parts should be readily available for these EXPENSIVE meters,

and seriously folks, how is CAT 111 and CAT 4 supposed to work if the back of these meters is wonky and or pops out,
the batteries fall onto live electronics/electrics,
or during a 'meter death arc', due to poor choice of probe/selector switch combo and -idiot prodding-  :-/O  :-BROKE
it all blows out into the users face because the silly plastic lock decides to FAIL ?!! 

All that aside, I will follow through with member retiredcaps link above, and hopefully score a couple of these silly items
and restore my 1507's lock function and future resale value

Lastly, the Fluke 101 meter has the same style of half turn lock/unlock knob come battery cover latch,
but it is a smaller size,
and not compatible with the bigger bro meters, or vice versa.

Watch out for that one, and save yourself cash, disappointment or lab rage on delivery day.. 

If I get lucky with getting these plastic thingies, I will be back to report.

Cheers   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf