Author Topic: Fluke 287 Connectivity  (Read 6504 times)

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 287 Connectivity
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 04:16:29 am »
You can get a display like the attached to this post (from a Fluke 189 - but the 287's protocol and software support is nearly identical) using Fluke's "Fluke View Basic".  You'll need the Fluke IR189USB USB interface cable or a clone.  eBay proabably has some and clones can be found via google.

You can use Fluke's software to display the data, but it's expensive and is really geared toward capturing the data into forms for adding to reports (though it does have the window to just display the reading).  I think it's generally around $200 or more depending on the level.  That should include the cable.  You'd probably need/want only the "basic" level.

You can also use open source software like sigrok along with a GUI for sigrok like SmuView (or you could just have the sigrok-cli scroll the value on a command line terminal window).  I'm sure there are other free or inexpensive viewers.

You could roll your own.  The protocol is pretty simple: https://www.uniteng.com/neildocs/facilities/Fluke289_remote_spec28X.pdf

So there are lots of options once you have the IR interface.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:18:33 am by mwb1100 »

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 12:01:14 pm »
Just FYI. The Fluke 287 and 289 are sold without the IRUSB cable nor the Fluke View software unless you buy it as a kit. Trend Capture is the feature of the Fluke 287/289 but you can only view on the meter not the PC. I have the 189, 287 and 289 plus the serial to IR as well as USB to IR cables and also the Fluke View Form software. I also have the adapter so that I can log data from them via Fluke Connect running on a smartphone. I don't know about a DIY cable but the protocol of the Fluke 189 or 289 (while they are difference) are not that complicated so I could write a progam on the PC to communicate with them.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 03:00:01 pm »
Just FYI. The Fluke 287 and 289 are sold without the IRUSB cable nor the Fluke View software unless you buy it as a kit. ... I don't know about a DIY cable but the protocol of the Fluke 189 or 289 (while they are difference) are not that complicated so I could write a program on the PC to communicate with them.

You can get IR189USB cables from reputable dealers (Mouser, Digikey, etc.) for $80-90.  Cheaper on eBay at times. If you have a 187/189 you also need a clip to hold the IR interface - a cable you buy might not include that, but 3D print versions can be found on the internet.  The 287/289 have the clip integrated into the multimeter's case.

You can get clones IR interfaces too, but they can be harder to find:

- https://sandboxelectronics.com/?product=opto-isolated-usb-ir-adapter-for-fluke  (note: I have not tried this clone)

And there's a thread here on EEVblog about a DIY IR interface: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/fluke-187-ir-cable

There are also instructions on the web for cracking the FlukeView demo into a full version.  But it's a pretty complicated procedure, and there are free open source alternatives.  And as mentioned, the protocol is simple to roll your own.

The following users thanked this post: rernexy

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 10:32:30 pm »
The clip for the 189 came with the cable and even with the IR3000FC module.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf