Author Topic: Christmas time: focus on one single instrument!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline RBBVNL9Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Christmas time: focus on one single instrument!
« on: December 27, 2023, 11:50:10 am »
Electronics is my hobby, and because of my regular job and other activities, the time I can spend on it is limited.

Every year, we travel for the festive season to family abroad, and I allow myself to take along one single measurement instrument on that trip. One that I want to get to know better, one that can use more love, one that still has untapped potential for me. 

For a couple of days, I approach that device in a holistic way, read the full manual (yes, it’s quite rewarding as it often shows the designer’s philosophy and leads you to unknown facts), read how other use it on the internet, and check out new software/ firmware as well – especially PC-based instruments can gain a lot of functionality over time.

Are there more people that do this? If you could choose one, which instrument would you take, and why?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Christmas time: focus on one single instrument!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 12:04:19 pm »
SHA852A
Compact and fully portable.
Very capable and featured.

Not yet got to grips with its GPS capabilities…..
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 12:37:47 pm »
tbh, I'm not sure that you can learn much from a single physical instrument in isolation, without additional kit to create some representative use/demo cases for it.  Although a good read of the manual is never a bad thing (assuming the vendor provides a decent one, which is a whole other topic/rant).

Personally, being in a similar position with electronics as a hobby rather than paid employment, I always try to find time to revisit a chapter of Horowitz and Hill (or your preferred equivalent) over the holiday period. 

Offline RBBVNL9Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:54:38 pm »
I'm not sure that you can learn much from a single physical instrument in isolation, without additional kit to create some representative use/demo cases for it.

I usually take a bag with other stuff: some electronics with a breadboard, Arduino with A/D and D/A boards, some displays and UI stuff, some SPI and I2C things, Leo Bodnar pulser, cables, and often a PicoScope. But it’s a small bag, really. Can hide it under a car seat!

But it's surprising how many experiments just present themselves at the right moment: an old CD or DVD player, a disposed DAB+ radio or an unused wireless digital phone set. Poor power adapters. And much more!

Actually, these experiments, which do not NEED to be done but CAN be done, are often the most fun for me! Often do them together with my son, so we together learn from it. And while explaining things to him, I sometimes discover the solution to something I did not yet find (like I did yesterday ;-)

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 02:42:45 pm »
Sounds like great fun.  Enjoy!

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 03:28:44 pm »
Often do them together with my son, so we together learn from it. And while explaining things to him, I sometimes discover the solution to something I did not yet find (like I did yesterday ;-)

A real Xmas night!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: RBBVNL9

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 04:22:22 pm »
And while explaining things to him, I sometimes discover the solution to something I did not yet find

Reading something, understanding something, doing something yourself are one thing - but making it understandable to others helps you almost more, at least that's how I feel.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, Kean, fhw72

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 04:41:26 pm »
Reading something, understanding something, doing something yourself are one thing - but making it understandable to others helps you almost more, at least that's how I feel.

Agree, specially when others are not on the same pace as you.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, fhw72

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 08:36:09 pm »
One time I brought a hardware hacking book with me. Did not lead to much interactions with others (kids in particular).
Last time I brought one of these nearly free spectrometers that attaches to a cell phone with the great app that is free. That was a hit with the kids looking at fluorescent lights, reflection of the sun, clouds, street lights, laser pointers, etc....  while introducing the optical principles.
This year I was planning bringing my IR camera (also a phone attachment) but we stayed home (kids had the nasty flu that is going around).
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
  • I kinda suck at the art of electronics tbh
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 08:39:18 pm »
I'd say my Tek 2230. I've had it for quite some time, but every now and then I discover a new amazing feature I never knew existed. And when I read the manual, sure enough, the manual mentions it.
Hehe, spooked my friends with an exploding electrolytic capacitor the other day 😁.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2023, 08:51:23 pm »
As far as books are concerned I have them all on the memory card on my tablet. Since I bring it with me whenever I travel I always have good reading with me.
I also have the Linear application notes and a compendium from the ARRL there.
Useful to learn more about your instruments. The full user, calibration and service manuals for the HP 8561E SA comes to mind here.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 02:38:37 am »
i never out my "hopes" in one instrument

when 1 component of it fail ............ youre in the ditch or not if it a main problem  or secodary problem

lesson learned with experience,  just organize your workspace

an analog discovery 2  like the one in the sell thread can do scope to some extent, logic analyser  etc ....   

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 03:06:21 am »
For me it was my SDL-1020X. Having time during the holidays allowed me to learn how to use it to

* Measure LiPo battery capacity
* Measure LiPo battery internal resistance
* Develop a charging model for a LiPo battery (with a PSU)
* Characterize a LiPo charging circuit using a CC/CV load
* Characterize the same LiPo charging circuit using the battery model

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 05:11:06 am »
For me it was my SDL-1020X.

Might take up his entire carry-on limit.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tv84

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf