Author Topic: Power Supply Decision/Question (Uni-T v Siglent)  (Read 1270 times)

Offline cmndr brainTopic starter

Power Supply Decision/Question (Uni-T v Siglent)
« on: December 26, 2023, 06:33:37 pm »
In an ever changing world, new products come out and seem to challenge old tried and true.  I'm new to the forum and just a hobbyist.  I like to fixed circuit boards for myself, friends and family and find that with more time on my hands, I'm in want of some new equipment.  I've already had my decision down to 2 power supplies, or so I thought.  Like most, it was narrowed down to the typical Rigol DP832 and Siglent SPD3303x-e.  I've found that the Rigol is way to big for my bench (16+" deep) although I really like having a number pad, despite it's weird circular configuration and better "features".  So, that left the Siglent as my first choice even w/o the numpad.  I have a Siglent O-scope and absolutely love it.  There are many videos on maintaining the PS and best of all it will fit on my bench.

Now enter the Uni-T UDP3305s-e, which despite all my research has never came up in my searches until last week.  To me, it seems like the best of both worlds.  It's smaller than the Rigol (although bigger than the Siglent, I can still squeak it on my bench w/ tweaking), has a number pad and dial, 3rd channel is variable, higher output current, an interface that seems really enjoyable to use (zoom feature) and others. 

But... from what I've read, Uni-T is a little lacking on the support side.  There is very little information on the inter-web.
A member of this forum, thephil, did a very good review on his blog
  - (https://techbotch.org/blog/lab-power-supply/index_en.html)
There are only 2 threads about this unit
  - (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-udb3000s-series-udp3305s-udp3000s-e/)
  - (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/anyone-have-experience-with-uni-t-power-supplys/)

and Tony Albus did 2 very good videos on this unit as an overview

What I would love to see is a typical Dave Jones teardown honest review (hint... hint... If he's taking requests)

Because it's a newer product, compared to the Rigol and Siglent and with Uni-T having a less than steller support, I'm a little shy about pulling the trigger on the Uni-T, despite it having all the features that I want/need.  One of the other eevblog threads mentions Siglent was going to release a new model this year, hopefully a with a keypad.  I'm not interested in any other power supplies.  I've looked at multitudes of reviews, specs and prices and have decided these are the ones that fit my needs/wants.

So, simply put, is there any reason NOT to buy the Uni-T?  I'm in no hurry.  Is there still plans for Siglent to release a new model, maybe with a keypad?  I would love to have the Dave Jones review of approval.

Thank you in advance.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Power Supply Decision/Question (Uni-T v Siglent)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 12:24:56 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Certainly we are spoilt for choice with the flurry of affordable products.
All we can do is study and make informed choices.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-siglent-spd4000x-series-power-supply/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Brad808

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 05:29:10 pm »
"But... from what I've read, Uni-T is a little lacking on the support side"

Currently dealing with Uni-T support I can confirm. Even putting it that way is being generous truthfully. It seems this is where the "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

Offline cmndr brainTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 10:13:47 pm »

Currently dealing with Uni-T support I can confirm. Even putting it that way is being generous truthfully. It seems this is where the "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

Thank you for the responses.
That is why I started this post.  Not to beat a dead horse :horse:, but to hopefully get information from a community that has experience.  It's a shame because the Uni-T UDP3305s-e has exactly what I'm looking for.  Reading the blog from thephil and watching the video from Tony Albus, the interface, to me, seems very well thought out and easy to use (almost perfect) as are the controls, which is why I was really hoping someone in this community would chime in with a positive view.  Then again, sometimes there is a diamond in the rough and the chance is worth it. 
I see that tautech linked the new Siglents and they "look" promising.  Not so keen on black, but that's just being picky.  Once they are released in the USA, I will certainly give them a look, price depending of course.  Hopefully someone with experience with the Uni-T power supply chimes in.  I'm not in a hurry and still in the research phase.  I have a really good multimeter (Fluke 87V) and want a bench meter, which from this community, I have already decided on a Siglent, so I'll need to pay that off first.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 03:12:14 am »

True, but if it works it works. Buying a piece of test equipment and then hoping the manufacturer fixes bugs later on is never a good idea. Same for adding new features. Just assume it is not going to happen. Or put differently: if a piece of equipment doesn't do what you need it to do out of the box, return it.

Siglent SPD4000 is going to be a significant price step up and is similar to GW Instek GPP4030 series both in features and price.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:14:54 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf