Author Topic: Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)  (Read 160970 times)

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
Just got mine back too. Same thing, back cover replaced, calibrated, they even put fresh batteries. Haven't looked inside yet, but now these stories about replacing PCBs and all are tempting me to peel the seal... Very good experience over all!

Offline malgailany

I'm interested in knowing the differences between board ID1 and board ID3. I took some photos to my old board (ID1) before I send it to service.
I don't want to peel my sticker to look inside. It would be nice if someones share photos for board ID3.
M. AlGailani

The following users thanked this post: bc888

Offline erazor

I have an issue with the clock drifting in my Fluke 289, see here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-289-clock-drift/
User retiredcaps suggested this might be related to this capacitor issue. To see if this is in fact the case, maybe a user could check behaviour before and after capacitor replacement. Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Crazyasianskillz

Re: Fluke 189 with leaking surface mount supercap (also Fluke 287, Fluke 289)
« Reply #203 on: December 25, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
Sorry to start up an old thread, but I'm considering purchasing a new fluke 287 from an authorized dealer. Does anyone know if fluke has resolved the leaky cap issue in 2014 builds?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2014, 10:35:34 pm »
Does anyone know if fluke has resolved the leaky cap issue in 2014 builds?

No change or resolution has been reported.

Offline Crazyasianskillz

« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
I gave fluke tech support a call this morning inquiring about this issue. They claimed that this issue had been handled and that newer meters should not have this issue. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. Im planning to use this for microcontroller development and msic tasks around the house and garage.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2014, 04:36:33 pm »
I gave fluke tech support a call this morning inquiring about this issue. They claimed that this issue had been handled and that newer meters should not have this issue. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. Im planning to use this for microcontroller development and msic tasks around the house and garage.
What did Fluke mean by "newer meters".  Call them back and ask for the serial number that the fix was put in.
Then when you buy a meter, ask them for the serial number of the meter. 
There is no other way to guarantee that you will receive a "fixed" meter unless you do this.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline Crazyasianskillz

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2014, 05:56:42 pm »
I asked when the changed was implemented but couldn't get any additional information. The only description that was given was that it was "handled and should not be an issue anymore". However I received a follow up email from info-fluke@fluke.com claiming it was the first time the tech had heard of the leaking capacitor issue and had no database record. The disparity in the responses is a little concerting.

I'll do a check to see what the current draw is when the unit is powered down.From what I've seen it appears the nominal draw should be in the micro amp range, if it's in the milli range then the unit would most likely be affected. I'm ordering the unit off of amazon prime so hopefully they stock newer built units.

I'm hoping my incoming unit isn't affected, but they do come with a lifetime warranty just in case. I've got a 189 unit on my bench at work and doesn't appear to have symptoms. I'd just like my personal meter to be flawless as well.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2014, 06:42:45 pm »
However I received a follow up email from info-fluke@fluke.com claiming it was the first time the tech had heard of the leaking capacitor issue and had no database record. The disparity in the responses is a little concerting.
It is not surprising to hear that Fluke support personnel don't know about the issue or that you are getting conflicting answers.

I'm hoping my incoming unit isn't affected, but they do come with a lifetime warranty just in case.
You should check to make sure Amazon is an authorized Fluke dealer because there was controversy about that in the past.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/amazon-con-is-not-a-fluke-authorized-reseller/

You should read the fineprint regarding lifetime warranty in the 289 manual.  The word lifetime doesn't mean lifetime in the way an ordinary person would interpret it.

In addition, Danaher needs to make money long term in order to actually be around to provide "lifetime" warranty.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2014, 10:13:15 pm »
My story with the meter.
After I’ve read the forum, I opened mine and found the capacitor leaking. I desoldered it and ordered this one, http://www.digikey.com/productsearch/en?vendor=0&keywords=EDLRD224   
as per Reply #38 on this forum.

When it came I didn’t have time to change it so I left it over. The meter hadn’t the capacitor in as people around here, claimed it is only for time and date so I didn’t care. But when I needed it I powered it up, a very short message notified me about memory- time, something like that (it was fast to make a notice) and then died.

It never started up again. Because I had to continue I left it, and continued with another meter. After 3-5 days I had time to look at the meter, the meter was dead, I measured the batteries to find out that they were also completely dead.
Wow I said I found the problem so I changed the batteries, nothing at all, the meter was dead even the power switch did not respond, turning itself green. Again I left it, Next day, searched for the problem to find that the new batteries were completely dead at 0,5 volts. Something was draining them completely.

So I soldered the capacitor back and as it has a limited lifetime guarantee I sent it to my local distributor mentioning that the meter is completely dead, he took it and sent it the fluke service agent. 2 months later the meter arrived back full functional, calibrated and stickers around the meter.

No charge, meter has a limited lifetime guarantee, so why try it yourselves? Just send it back.

IMG_9835 by sotron100, on Flickr

IMG_0591 by sotron100, on Flickr

IMG_0407 by sotron100, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:14:52 pm by sotos »

Offline kitaismith

Just opened my Fluke 287 as well, lo and behold I have it too..:

I called the service center 01603256620, they told me they are not aware such a problem existed and further more, since the capacitor
is corroded it is not longer under warranty. To add salt to the wound, the lady on the phone added that it'll take about £240 for it to be repaired..... :-DD

I asked her to repeat that like about 5 times..
I've fired off an email to the UKServiceDesk@fluke.com explaining the situation and what I've just been told, still waiting for reply.
So we'll see how it goes...

Offline Ericho

• Regular Contributor
I called the service center 01603256620, they told me they are not aware such a problem existed and further more, since the capacitor
is corroded it is not longer under warranty. To add salt to the wound, the lady on the phone added that it'll take about £240 for it to be repaired..... :-DD

I asked her to repeat that like about 5 times..
I've fired off an email to the UKServiceDesk@fluke.com explaining the situation and what I've just been told, still waiting for reply.
So we'll see how it goes...

There goes the extra money you pay for warranty, service and quality. Fluke  :--

I'm not gonna bother with them, Its takes less time to fix it myself then 1 Phone call with them of a visit to the local shop.

Offline kitaismith

Yeah...I know it would've been easy to repair it myself but since it should be under warranty and doing it myself will void the warranty , I might as well use it (in theory at least).
Anyways, I got a reply back from the email I sent out..:

We have forwarded this information to the higher management and our Manager has agreed to bring the unit in under Warranty.
Can you kindly fill out the attached RMA form so we can create an Returns number for you.

Hope to hear from you.

I filled out the attached RMA form, emailed it back to them and they've emailed a Service Order Form to me. That'll be included with the multimeter
when I send it back.

All in all, looks like they've decided to do the right thing and to be honest, apart from the lady I spoke to earlier on the phone, the guys I emailed about it got everything sorted
real quick so I'm gonna reserve my judgement till everything's sorted.
 I'll send it back tomorrow and keep you guys posted.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:37:43 pm by kitaismith »

Offline mjlorton

• Contributor
  • www.YouTube.com/mjlorton
    • Solar Power and Electronic Measurement Equipment
Fluke respond to the issue of corrosion of the capacitor on the  Fluke 287/289:

Original video (2 January 2014) - T4D #88 - Fluke multimeters with leaking / corroded surface mount supercap:

On Forum: http://mjlorton.com/forum/index.php?topic=531.30

Fluke email:
On 4/16/2015 11:22 AM, Wright, Dan wrote: Hello Martin
 I’ve done some investigating on the issue of the Fluke 287/289 and the corrosion of the capacitor.  Our team has looked in to this at length and arrived at the following:
#   Yes, there are instances where the capacitor is showing visible sign of discoloration, corrosion and what may be described as “leakage.”
#   Yes, this is an issue that will be addressed in the next design and production update taking place next month.
#   Despite the visual signs, there is no degradation to the performance of the meter.  The component in question provides backup power to the internal clock and should it fail, the only thing affected will be time and date settings after a battery change.
#   If a user finds that the component has made the meter unusable, the user should contact a Fluke Service Center so the product can be evaluated.
Best regards
Dan
www.YouTube.com/mjlorton
Solar Power and Electronic Measurement Equipment

Offline shane124

Just replaced the bad cap in my 289. Not very difficult and works great! :)
Used the one from Digikey 338-3477-ND. MFG# EDLRD224H3R6C 220MF
3.6V.

Bought it used. Est. Around 2009 Model. (The meter).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:55:46 am by shane124 »

Offline Gonzakpo

Any news about this issue? I'm considering buying the 287 but this is kind of a showstopper. I mean, the only reason I want to buy a Fluke it's because its reliability. But if that is gone... then maybe I should be looking somewhere else.

The following users thanked this post: Chris56000

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Has anyone had this actually affect the performance of their meter?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
If Fluke says it doesn't affect the meter, I would tend to believe it. Does it look good that they won't replace the thousands of bad looking components? I think it hurts their reputation a bit but I wouldn't worry about it. Leave it until/if it causes a problem and they will fix it then.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Has anyone had this actually affect the performance of their meter?

I had the problem on two meters. It did not effect the measurement accuracy. It impact the life of the AA batteries. I posted my experience in this message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-189-with-leaking-surface-mount-coin-cell/msg443374/#msg443374

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
My guess is the supercap is used for the Real Time Clock. It allows the RTC to survive the battery change. I am assuming RTC is important for the data logging feature.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Martin's latest video has some of the feedback and discussions he had with Fluke at the 26 to 30 minute mark regarding the IR and super capacitor.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
One of my co-workers back on the late 90s used to work for Boing (unmanned vehicle Dark Star) he told me that they used to get rain inside their buildings  :scared:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
One of my co-workers back on the late 90s used to work for Boing (unmanned vehicle Dark Star) he told me that they used to get rain inside their buildings  :scared:

Reminds me when I was in training, and the only room available was the one with the big half roof skylight. Good thing was it was the dry season, and I put in a fan heater on a time switch, to heat the room for 2 hours before we came back, and to turn off when we left in the morning. Was interesting to be able to do astronomy from my bed at night. Was not fun though that the showers invariably had no hot water, especially as it was winter in Pretoria. Used to wake up at 2AM to go to a shower and have that hot shower luxury. Plus was the mains was always between 250 and 265V, due to the area having legacy 250VAC mains transformers, dating from the early days of electrification in South Africa, in the supply, and harmonising the area to 220V was considered too expensive in replacing all of them simultaneously. Great for heating, though lights had a really short but brilliant life.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
I have a fluke 289 with the rusty looking cap, it wont hold time or date when you pull the batteries. so what should I do? replace it myself or send it in..

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
replace it myself or send it in..
If you are the original owner and bought it from an authorized Fluke dealer, I suggest sending it in for the following reasons:

1) you might get a complete new pcb with the latest modifications and firmware
2) you are likely to have the 289 (either repaired or new pcb) with its calibration checked for "free"
3) shipping within the USA even with a tracking number should be a reasonable $10 to Fluke

The calibration check normally costs between $50 to $100 and you get it back knowing it is within its accuracy specifications across all ranges.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:07:52 pm by retiredcaps »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf