Author Topic: Fluke 179 missing segments on the diplay  (Read 856 times)

Offline woofTopic starter

Fluke 179 missing segments on the diplay
« on: September 06, 2024, 05:21:34 pm »
I bought this multimeter used here in Germany a few months ago. It was sold to me as new, and I have not used it much, it even still has the protective film. Today while measuring a resistor in Mega Ohms I noticed the "M" symbol on the display missing. I was confused. I researched and found out that holding the Hold button and turning the selector to VAC displays all the segments. The M symbol does indeed not light up... In addition, I found out that many other segments don't light up either! Fairly disappointed in this finding. I'm a first-time Fluke owner and I am wondering if this is a common issue with Fluke multimeters? Is there a way to repair it without sending it to Fluke service?

I have attached some photos.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Fluke 179 missing segments on the diplay
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 05:42:02 pm »
It is most likely a problem with the connection between the display and the circuit board and that is done with a zebra stripe. You may be able to clean the contacts between the stripe and the circuit board/display with some alcohol.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 10:32:30 pm »
Unfortunately cleaning the zebra strips and the contacts did not resolve the issue. All the mentioned segments are still dead... :(

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 11:49:14 pm »
Unfortunately cleaning the zebra strips and the contacts did not resolve the issue. All the mentioned segments are still dead... :(
When disassembled, if you press on the connections, do the segments show up?

Also, try flipping/rotating the zebra strip to see if different LCD segments start/stop working.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2024, 04:03:35 am »
carefully examine the pins of the IC that is driving the LCD, using a magnifying glass. likely you will find that one of the pins is unsoldered. a technique i've used in the past is to drag the sharp end of a needle across each of the four rows of pins with light tension on the needle so you can hear a series of 'pings'; there will be a distinctly dull ping on any unsoldered pin.

apply a little liquid flux to the unsoldered pin, reheat with an iron, and remove any bridges with solderwick. you should not need any additional solder.

cheers,
rob   :-)

The following users thanked this post: woof

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2024, 05:10:18 am »
Some good photos here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-77iv-and-179-differences-with-teardown-photos/
LCD is driven by the larger, square IC.
Solder carefully!

The following users thanked this post: robert.rozee, woof

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2024, 02:55:09 pm »
When disassembled, if you press on the connections, do the segments show up?

Also, try flipping/rotating the zebra strip to see if different LCD segments start/stop working.

Rotating the zebra strips made no difference. I could not see anything by pressing on the LCD...

carefully examine the pins of the IC that is driving the LCD, using a magnifying glass. likely you will find that one of the pins is unsoldered. a technique i've used in the past is to drag the sharp end of a needle across each of the four rows of pins with light tension on the needle so you can hear a series of 'pings'; there will be a distinctly dull ping on any unsoldered pin.

apply a little liquid flux to the unsoldered pin, reheat with an iron, and remove any bridges with solderwick. you should not need any additional solder.

cheers,

I disassembled it and tried finding any unsoldered pins with a needle. I couldn't find any that way; perhaps it was just my inexperience with super small electronics. Should I perhaps try retouching them all with a soldering iron anyway?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 03:00:04 pm by woof »

Offline robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2024, 05:17:51 pm »
I disassembled it and tried finding any unsoldered pins with a needle. I couldn't find any that way; perhaps it was just my inexperience with super small electronics. Should I perhaps try retouching them all with a soldering iron anyway?

no, blanket re-soldering usually ends in tears. you are better off trying to figure out which ONE connection is missing, and at the same time testing the LCD.

you can 'activate' individual segments on an LCD using a 9v battery and a 470k resistor wired in series. i've found that, generally, segments will only flash briefly (they really don't like DC), but it is enough to confirm they are working. do this with the LCD separated from the meter PCB, but preferably still sitting in the plastic holding frame and with the zebra strips in place.

you need to probe pairs of pins on the LCD (via the zebra strips) until you can find the ONE pin that is common to all the missing segments. IF you can make some segments light up, but NOT any of the missing ones, then the problem may well be with the LCD itself.

cheers,
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 05:19:25 pm by robert.rozee »

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2024, 06:47:52 pm »
I see some LCDs on eBay, might be worth trying that next before performing any surgery.

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 07:04:03 pm »
179 carries a lifetime warranty.  If you bought it new through the proper channel, Fluke will repair or replace it for you.  Don't try to troubleshoot it unless it is not covered by the warranty.  The reason is if you cannot fix it on your own, Fluke could refuse warranty on a tempered unit. 

You mentioned both used and new in your original post, so I am not sure whether it is new or used. 

I have a 179 for a few years, never had any issues with it.  It is a solid meter.  And the same goes for all the other Fluke DMMs and clamp meters I own.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 07:13:12 pm by NoisyBoy »

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2024, 07:10:42 pm »
If you bought it new through the proper channel...

It's worth contacting them regardless.  My understanding is that they don't always ask for documentation on the purchase.

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy, woof

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2024, 07:15:08 pm »
That is good to know, agree it is worth a try regardless.

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2024, 08:13:06 pm »
In Photo #3, it displays "OL" ->Meaning in that case you are out of range. Normal Error message here.
Might it have occurred that you are on a manual range in that case?

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2024, 08:20:29 pm »
The Fluke warranty typically only applies to the original owner, and this was purchase used, although maybe listed as "new, open box"?

I think whether you can get away with this path will depend on whether Fluke has any previous owner registered in their systems for that serial number.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2024, 08:31:49 pm »
Inspect LCD under magnification to verify there is no tiny barely visible crack in the glass on the area where conductive film traces go to the contact pads.

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2024, 11:39:28 pm »
Hi everyone! Thank you for your help. If it applies, I will try contacting Fluke and see if they will repair my unit under the lifetime warranty. I will report back once I have some information.

In Photo #3, it displays "OL" ->Meaning in that case you are out of range. Normal Error message here.
Might it have occurred that you are on a manual range in that case?

I showed that photo because when you're not measuring anything and the "OL" is displayed, there should also be the "M" symbol on the right.

The Fluke warranty typically only applies to the original owner, and this was purchase used, although maybe listed as "new, open box"?

I think whether you can get away with this path will depend on whether Fluke has any previous owner registered in their systems for that serial number.

I purchased this Fluke "as new" on eBay and I did not get any receipt. I got it at a pretty good price and the seller has not mentioned any problems with it... which I haven't looked for or expected when I received it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 11:41:22 pm by woof »

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2024, 12:01:44 am »

I don't know how it is in Germany but here in the USA I have sent several Fluke DMM's for repair under warranty and all they wanted to know was the serial number. They never asked for proof of purchase, receipt or anything like that.

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2024, 11:36:00 am »
Hi everyone!

A quick update: I contacted Fluke and sent in my multimeter for repair. They quickly got back to me and told me they would do a repair by replacement under the limited lifetime warranty. Yesterday I received a brand new Fluke 179.

I’ll definitely be recommending Fluke to everyone—Fluke is awesome!

Thanks for all your help!

The following users thanked this post: robert.rozee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf