Author Topic: Fluke 177 failed and need support to repair  (Read 4115 times)

Offline ChinhdcTopic starter

• Contributor
Fluke 177 failed and need support to repair
« on: December 26, 2021, 03:52:23 pm »
Hi Gentlements,

As you know, Fluke measurement equipments are always be the first technician choice, and me too. I have been using the Fluke Digital Multimeter model 177 for some years after putting the 8 years used Kyoritsu 1009 to the store due to some malfunctions and the unstable results.
In a beautiful day, i took the Fluke 177 to measure its inside battery (9VDC), i turned the knob to right function and the probes is in right positions. Of course the measure result was nothing and i turned off and turned on (the purpose is checking the voltage of the inside battery whether it was good or bad because i often used continuity function that the buzzer used much energy that the battery exhausted quickly after a short time of replacing).
After the measure, the Multimeter became failure. When turned on, changed into any function, the LCD display as attacted pictures with buzzer (Of course without probes) as picture from 1 to 3.

I have browsed on Web to find help but hopeless.

So, I would hope and highly appreciate any idea to solve the problem of my Digital Multimeter to be back normally.
(Attracted pictures from 4 to 7 are inside of the multimeter for more details).

Thank you so much for reading and giving support.

(Due to the side of post limited, i will post more pictures on comments!)

• Contributor
Re: Fluke 177 failed and need support to repair
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 03:58:32 pm »
More pictures about my case with inside PCB

I'm looking forwards hearing supports soon.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 04:00:25 pm »
More pictures about my case

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 04:13:20 pm »
I'm confused; the Fluke 177 has a low battery indicator, so there's no need to perform a test on the battery, the meter will tell you when it's necessary to replace it.

Are you saying you measured the battery by removing the battery cover and probing it with the meter while it was powering the meter?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 04:20:54 pm »
To AVGresponding;

Yes,i did it, because some other models of Kyoritsu can measure like this.
Now, what can i do? Can you help me more?
Thank you!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 04:29:49 pm »
Without a schematic (I haven't been able to find one) I'd just be guessing.

There's a possibility that the battery is too low for proper functioning, if you have a new battery to try in it, that would be the first thing to do.

If the battery is good, it would look like the function selection on the ASIC (the brain of the meter) has been damaged; if that is true, the only way to repair it would be to replace the chip.

If someone can supply a schematic we'd have a much better chance of making a correct diagnosis.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Chinhdc

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 04:40:42 pm »
To AVGresponding,

I changed another battery, the problem is still.
If the problem on the ASIC, it's the worst thing that i cant image. :palm:
I have asked some technicians, they though there's some malfunctioned or the device maybe shorted circuit inside.

So, i hope some one experienced to this problem can help me or give me the fluke 177 schematics

BTW, many thanks to you to give me ideas about this. Have a nice X-Mas seasoning.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »
Typical DMMs are not designed to measure their own battery voltage with probes! It can damage the meter. This is why most DMM instructions say to disconnect leads before changing battery. Special internal circuitry is used to show battery status (or use another DMM to measure battery). More info on this topic dmm-reading-it_s-own-battery-voltage-low-voltage-detection

OP measured internal battery with probes, actual damage is possible. Exactly what happens to Fluke 177 I don't know, schematic is needed.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 04:46:29 pm »
Can't you send it to Fluke under warranty?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 04:55:43 pm »
To: electr_peter,

So, i would like to receive the schematics, can you send me?

thank you.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 04:58:37 pm »
To: Fungus,

This case is impossible, it is the used DMM that i have bought. Anyway, with the wrong using, i'm afraid of requiring charge from warranty center. In VN the Fluke service center still unavailable.
Thank you.

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 05:29:12 pm »
Just buy another meter and thats it.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 07:01:02 pm »
The 177 has a limited lifetime warranty. All you have to do is to call Fluke and tell them the serial number and they would give you an RMA form to send it back. It doesn't matter if you buy it used.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2021, 07:41:50 pm »
To: electr_peter,
So, i would like to receive the schematics, can you send me?
thank you.
I don't have schematics for 177.

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 10:18:44 pm »
fluke 177 is on average price so just buy the new one or buy kyoritsu instead  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:21:57 pm by e0ne199 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 12:01:24 am »
The 177 has a limited lifetime warranty. All you have to do is to call Fluke and tell them the serial number and they would give you an RMA form to send it back. It doesn't matter if you buy it used.

The coverage this provides varies quite a lot depending on country; still, it won't cost anything to ask them.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 01:58:05 am »
To BeBuLamar,

Sorry, but i'm not clear about RMA, can you tell me?
Thank you.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 03:34:19 am »
To BeBuLamar,

Sorry, but i'm not clear about RMA, can you tell me?
Thank you.

I am sorry. I thought you are in the USA. You're in Vietnam and I know now. I don't know how the warranty policy in Vietnam. By the way I was born in Vietnam. If you live in the USA and the meter was bought in the USA even if you're not the original owner you can still have Fluke fixes it for free. I have done it many times. I just call them and they would email me an RMA form (RMS stands for Return Material Authorization) then you can send it in with the meter. They only asked for serial number. They didn't aske for the receipt or anything like that.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 04:13:13 am »
To BeBuLamar,
It's so great to hear that you were born in VietNam, You are welcomed to visit VietNam. Let me know if you have a chance to go to VietNam, especially to HaNoi.
It is the used fluke that i bought, but its original made in USA, with its serials
In case we have to send it to USA, i think the express fee as the new one price.
How can i do?
Thank you

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 06:53:23 pm »
I think all the 177 are made in the USA but the Fluke may have different policy for meters sold in different countries. There is no service center in Vietnam. If they repair it you will have to send it to Singapore. However, by all mean contact them and see what they say. It doesn't hurt.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 07:04:44 pm »
However, by all mean contact them and see what they say. It doesn't hurt.

There's no need to mention that it's second hand or what happened to it. Model number, serial number, symptoms.

If they say "no" then it only cost you an email or phone call.

Be sure to let us know how it went.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:07 am »
Yesterday, the SGP Fluke Center contacted me and quote ~USD200 not include carrier.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2021, 01:55:25 am »
Without a schematic this might be tough, but I suppose we could do a bit of guessing that it may be similar to other meters that we have schematics for, like the 87V.  If it uses the same floating ground configuration where the input ground is 2.5V above the battery negative, shorting the COM lead to the battery negative might blow the 2.5V regulator.  The controller would still have it's 5 volts, but anything relying on that ground would not work.  The 87V uses an LT1790-2.5, which according to the datasheet is a 6-lead SOT-23 package and may have a marking of "LTPZ".  So look for that.

Beyond that, you probably need to try and identify as many of the smaller ICs as possible so as to try and reverse engineer it a bit to see where the damage may have been done.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 02:09:07 am »
In Vietnam, I know there is a company called EMIN that distributes electronic equipment. In addition, they also have calibration and repair services for many types of electronic equipment including Fluke. I think you should try contacting them in this case.
https://emin.vn/sua-chua-dong-ho-van-nang-fluke-91342/pr.html

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
Without a schematic this might be tough, but I suppose we could do a bit of guessing that it may be similar to other meters that we have schematics for, like the 87V.  If it uses the same floating ground configuration where the input ground is 2.5V above the battery negative, shorting the COM lead to the battery negative might blow the 2.5V regulator.  The controller would still have it's 5 volts, but anything relying on that ground would not work.  The 87V uses an LT1790-2.5, which according to the datasheet is a 6-lead SOT-23 package and may have a marking of "LTPZ".  So look for that.

Beyond that, you probably need to try and identify as many of the smaller ICs as possible so as to try and reverse engineer it a bit to see where the damage may have been done.

Definitely worth a look, as both the microprocessor and front end ASIC need that -2.5V to function correctly, at least on the 87V, and power rails are easy to check.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf