Author Topic: Multimeter help?  (Read 13677 times)

Offline live2fish88Topic starter

• Contributor
Multimeter help?
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
Hey guys, new to the forums. Hope I posted in the correct area! I'm looking to buy a digital multimeter. I've been using my grandfathers fluke 88, and want to buy my own. My price point is 200$. I've found two meters that I can afford but don't know which one to get, they've both been suggested to me. I do a lot if auto repair. Testing sensors, grounds, fuses, install amplifiers, subwoofers and head units. I do computer work so testin components would be something I'd need to learn. I'll list the two here in hopes that someone can look at the specs and give an opinion. Keep in mind they aren't a fluke or Agilent, I just can't afford them a don't want to buy used, but that's just me lol. The ESI was recommended to me due to the loadpro leads, but they can be had later if need be for 40$. The package retails for 360$, but I'm wondering if most of that price is based upon the loadpro leads, book and DVD. The TPI meter was recommended to me actually as the 183A model, but I found the higher up 194 model in my price range after some digging. If you were REALLY bored, 183A, 192 and 194 model are all in my range. Without further ado, here they are.

http://www.esitest.com/589.html

http://testproductsintl.com/194.html

Thank you guys very much, I'm going to go explore the rest of the forums now!

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: Multimeter help?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:33:58 pm »
The first package is expensive, considering that the Chinese CEM 4,000 count meter is probably not worth more than USD80.00. The training aids may be interesting, but I would buy that separately, as required.
I'm not familiar with the second one, but it is probably a rebranded Chinese meter too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:37:50 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »
live2fish88

First: Where do you live? Why does everyone come on to an international forum and ask for advice without saying what country they live in?

Second: How can we guess what you want to spend and what your needs are?

If you provide this information first you will get relevant answers.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:09:41 pm »
The meter links point to a likely USA address and USD200.00 is the limit.
For that price, you can get a decent second-hand Fluke, but you said that you prefer a new meter.
Have a look at Amprobe or Greenlee meters for something reliable that doesn't bust your budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenlee-DM-210A-DMM-AUTORANGING-FREQ-CAP-/290893089583?pt=US_Measuring_Layout_Tools&hash=item43ba944b2f
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:21:39 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:19 pm »
imo, neither.

watch these, make a decision based on your need. at 1/2 your price point, save some money or buy 2.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »
Hey sorry guys. Yes, i live in the US. $200 is my maximum price point. I want to use the meter mostly in the automotive field, but also bits and pieces around the house. If anybody is famaliar with Snap on branded tools, their multi meters are made by TPI (Test products international). I found that kit from ESI for 197$ online, and the TPI online at 199$. I want to test sensors, read voltages on car amplifiers, amps, etc. Temperatures. basically everything the TPI meter does. I would like to learn to use it all lol getting into DIY electronics. I dont know too much about meters, which brought me here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:37:50 pm by live2fish88 »

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
anything snap-on branded is notoriously overpriced. the only thing close to a saving grace for them is the fact that your local rep comes by your garage every few days to week to replace all of their shitty tools youve broken in that time (and, more importantly, to pimp all their new over priced "must have" items).

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:42 pm »
i agree. since i worked in the shop i've only aquired two snap on tools. But yeah, i can't afford the best, and some of you may be opinionated towards fluke, but those were the best ones i could find. I thought that the TPI one was a good meter, what makes it bad? I was really weary of the ESI one, that one looked cheap, so i figured most of the price was in the accessories and not the meter itself.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
I don't think I have ever seen a review on TPI meters. Without any kind of independent review it is difficult to say anything about them.

For your uses I would recommend an Amprobe AM-270:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/amprobe/multimeters/am-270.htm

or a Brymen BM257, $135 shipped to your door:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-BM257-Digital-Multimeter-6000-count-Brand-New-Fluke-alternative-/200922627340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec7ebfd0c
can be had a bit cheaper if you PM iloveelectronics here on the forum.

The BM257 is a nicer meter but costs quite a bit more.

These are both known quality meters but the back light on the Amprobe is horrible. This could be a deciding factor.

For under $200 it is hard to beat the BM257 for build, accuracy, features, and safety.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:55 am »
as was said, nothing makes it "bad", but it is not a really known brand. there are quite a few brands out there that are tried and true and decent units to get that imo, its kind of not worth messing with off-brands. and secondly, it probably IS a meter from one of the usual players just rebranded and sold by them at their markup, so even if it is a decent meter, its probably still overpriced for what it is.

and believe me, im not a fluke fanboy at all. they do make great products, and are priced accordingly. as far as im concerned, you can get a perfectly servicable unit for much less cost. id love to have a fluke, or 2, but i doubt that will ever happen unless i hit the lottery.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:19:19 am by deth502 »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 04:00:45 am »
I've been using my grandfathers fluke 88, and want to buy my own.
Do you use any of the Fluke 88 automotive features like RPM, trigger, ms-pulse, etc?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:48 am »
The TPI meter has some interesting features:
http://www.tequipment.net/pdf/TPI/190series.pdf

Apart from the usual fare, it also measures inductance (300mH), conductance, dB and pulse width. I think it may also have the auto hold feature.
The fuses are HRC, but they look a little flimsy. At least they are rated for 1000 volts on the 194.
It does data-logging (100 readings), but the RS232 interface, like the temp probe, is optional extra.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:13:09 am by Wytnucls »

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:04 am »
I've been using my grandfathers fluke 88, and want to buy my own.
Do you use any of the Fluke 88 automotive features like RPM, trigger, ms-pulse, etc?

No, I do not use these features. But I would like to learn how to use trigger. What do you mean by flimsy fuses? Are these upgrade able?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:59:12 am »
The 10 amp one is a bit skinny compared to a Fluke fuse. Upgrade would be difficult as the fuses are in their own tight compartments. Might still be within specs for Cat IV 600V.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:00:43 am by Wytnucls »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »
I doubt about usefulness of that LOADpro thingy. It is so big that you won't be able to access what you want to measure in many cases. Cheap resistor and switch, pretty sure that nothing more inside it. This ad almost made me to vomit .

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:28 pm »
With 50 hrs battery life, I don't think anyone will be happy with the TPI. You will spend more for batteries in a year than the difference in price for a Fluke 87V.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »
Lol I haven't seen that one yet. I can't find a fluke 88v on eBay for under 200, but the 87 I saw for a tiny bit over. What's the difference?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
50 hours would mean an alkaline 9V 560mAH battery current flow of about 10mA, with an assumed cut-off of 7 volts.
10 mA sounds a bit high as an average for any meter.
Have you ever measured battery consumption on your Brymens on the different ranges?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »
Brymen gives an average current of 6.5mA for the BM829, which means a battery life of about 90 hours, with a cut-off at 7 volt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:32:09 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »
The specs stated by TPI for the 194 say 50hrs for the batteries.  Yes, the BM82X, BM52X, and BM86X are pretty hard on batteries too. They chew up batteries in about 100hrs which twice as long as the TPI.  The BM257 has much lower draw and uses AAA batteries so it will last much longer but I forget the values right now. I will be doing a bunch of videos next week.

No, I don't hold battery life as the most important spec but when the TPI is an unknown, plus it has horrible battery life, it is just another thing in the list of reasons to buy something else.

Found it: 3.5ma typical. This makes the BM257 pretty good on batteries.

More:  Based on my quick calculations the BM257 should last around 400 hrs on a set of 2 AAAs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:43:23 pm by Lightages »

Offline nathon

• Contributor
    • Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 06:41:12 pm »
I've got a TPI Scope Plus 440 DMM + Oscilloscope. I'm not sure if the model you have will be the same, but it only tests capacitors up 470uF and the audible continuity test is outrageously slow, both of which irritate the heck out of me for a $300 meter at the time. Measurement only goes to 3 digits and defaults to 2. Seriously though. I could go get and coffee and sandwich and be back before the audio tone sounds for continuity. Also after not much use but a couple of years my battery is also toast. The one I have didn't come with a rubber boot (a must for automotive work) and none of the aftermarket test lead attachments (alligator clips, hooks, etc) work with the leads. Given that I would not recommend the TPI meter. It was okay for my uses for a while, but definitely get a better brand.
Nathon Dalton

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 07:07:46 pm »
Here it is:
The DMM side of these portable oscilloscopes is seldom stellar. Difficult to say if their top of the range 50,000 meter would behave in a similar fashion. A proper review and teardown would be required before I'd buy a relatively unknown and expensive meter like the TPI 194.
Extra features like inductance measurement may clinch the deal for some buyers.
The form factor and color scheme do nothing for me though...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:09:39 pm by Wytnucls »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:23 pm »
That TPI scopemeter more likely resembles a brick game rather than a portable oscilloscope.

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 10:34:56 pm »
I wouldn't buy either - why not check out Dave's multimeter reviews and pick one of those?

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 02:22:42 am »
I've got a TPI Scope Plus 440 DMM + Oscilloscope. I'm not sure if the model you have will be the same, but it only tests capacitors up 470uF and the audible continuity test is outrageously slow, both of which irritate the heck out of me for a $300 meter at the time. Measurement only goes to 3 digits and defaults to 2. Seriously though. I could go get and coffee and sandwich and be back before the audio tone sounds for continuity. Also after not much use but a couple of years my battery is also toast. The one I have didn't come with a rubber boot (a must for automotive work) and none of the aftermarket test lead attachments (alligator clips, hooks, etc) work with the leads. Given that I would not recommend the TPI meter. It was okay for my uses for a while, but definitely get a better brand.

wow, watching the video, the measurements look about the same. it seemed like it took almost 2 seconds after he touched the battery until he got the reading on the meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf