Author Topic: Buy FLUKE 101 or HIOKI 3244-60 POCKET MULTIMETERS ??  (Read 707 times)

Offline jeffkfTopic starter

Buy FLUKE 101 or HIOKI 3244-60 POCKET MULTIMETERS ??
« on: May 31, 2024, 05:56:53 am »
Good Day friends.

I want to buy a pocket multimeter, and my choices have boiled down to either the FLUKE 101 or the  HIOKI 3244-60

Have you bought any, or both, of them?

I appreciate any feedback on your experience with these handy meters.

Thanks a lot

Offline Demon Xanth

• Contributor
Re: Buy FLUKE 101 or HIOKI 3244-60 POCKET MULTIMETERS ??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 06:31:15 pm »
I have a Fluke 101 and UT123, both are solid basic meters. I DD'ed the 101 for a while before settling into a BM235. The only real complaints I have is the lack of manual range settings and a slow update time. But the small size was nice since it didn't take up a large amount of space like the 87V and UT181 did. I keep the UT123 in my glovebox and the 101 on my desk at home.

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 09:16:24 pm »
I have both. Between the two, the Hioki is the more “pocketable” one (with its much smaller size, permanently attached leads and slim hard plastic carrying case).

As you know, unlike Fluke, it cannot measure capacitance and voltage drops across diodes (not directly, of course - you can still check diodes by measuring the resistance in both directions). It also beeps a lot (at power on and every time it changes ranges in autorange)…

Fluke 101 seems better built, it uses regular sized leads and feels more like a regular meter. Probably more robust, too.

Both nice, overall. If you have specific questions, I might be able to answer.

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 11:41:23 pm »
I'm not sure what your requirements are for a pocket DMM, but also check out the Brymen BM27s if you haven't already.  Advantages are small size, high and low Z, uA, and non-contact voltage.  Main disadvantages are no mV range and somewhat short probe tips.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 11:51:01 pm »
I personally had quality control issues with two Fluke 101 DMMs coming from different retailers and series (one was basic and the other was the kit), thus I usually alert people interested in purchasing this model.

Since you are considering the 101, for a bit more functions (and cash) you could also consider the more complete Sanwa CD800A with Hz, mA, Rel mode, etc. I have/had Sanwas and their build quality is on par with the Hioki.

Good luck in your quest!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 11:06:50 pm »
I have a Fluke 101 and UT123, both are solid basic meters. I DD'ed the 101 for a while before settling into a BM235. The only real complaints I have is the lack of manual range settings and a slow update time. But the small size was nice since it didn't take up a large amount of space like the 87V and UT181 did. I keep the UT123 in my glovebox and the 101 on my desk at home.

Thank you for your reply.

Which one do you think is more rugged and can be thrown around more? I already have a multimeter for general work; I'm only looking for a pocket one to throw it in the car and around the garage.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 11:08:34 pm »
I personally had quality control issues with two Fluke 101 DMMs coming from different retailers and series (one was basic and the other was the kit), thus I usually alert people interested in purchasing this model.

Since you are considering the 101, for a bit more functions (and cash) you could also consider the more complete Sanwa CD800A with Hz, mA, Rel mode, etc. I have/had Sanwas and their build quality is on par with the Hioki.

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks a lot man; I'm not looking for functionality since I will be throwing it in the car and around the garage for emergency troubleshooting. I'm looking for something that would last for a long time. Do you think the Fluke is rugged enough?

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 11:10:06 pm »
I'm not sure what your requirements are for a pocket DMM, but also check out the Brymen BM27s if you haven't already.  Advantages are small size, high and low Z, uA, and non-contact voltage.  Main disadvantages are no mV range and somewhat short probe tips.

Durability is the utmost priority, since I already have a decent meter for the bench. This one I'll be throwing in the car, garage, toolbox, etc. So it's gonna face some physical wrath during its lifetime it better be able to withstand it  ;D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 12:19:12 am »

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks a lot man; I'm not looking for functionality since I will be throwing it in the car and around the garage for emergency troubleshooting. I'm looking for something that would last for a long time. Do you think the Fluke is rugged enough?
I am glad to help. The Fluke a chubby and sturdy meter. However, it is built to a price and therefore don't expect it to be as tough as a 179 or 87V (the most rugged meters still in production that I know). Also, having no front protection like some of other small/portable meters, it will be scratched.

I don't think you can go wrong with it, provided that you get one with better QC than I.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Demon Xanth

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2024, 02:48:32 pm »
The UT123T felt more rugged (not by much), had a couple extra features, and an easier to read display under low light. Also was only $21. Which is why it got tossed in the glove box and the 101 got tossed in the desk drawer. The 101 is a bit smoother and a little smaller though.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2024, 09:46:12 pm »
I want to buy a pocket multimeter, and my choices have boiled down to either the FLUKE 101 or the  HIOKI 3244-60

I own the Fluke, it's a good meter but a very basic one.

It's famous for being very tough but it's not as nsealed against water/dust as some other meters.

It doesn't measure current and the continuity isn't the fastest. Also no backlight.

If that's not a problem then get one.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2024, 10:13:23 pm »
Uni-T UT121, UT123 and others are their usual scam - they leave out the protection components like MOV's/2nd PTC to save a few pennies.
Look at DMM reviews: UT123 UK

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2024, 10:27:31 pm »

I own the Fluke, it's a good meter but a very basic one.

It's famous for being very tough but it's not as nsealed against water/dust as some other meters.

It doesn't measure current and the continuity isn't the fastest. Also no backlight.

If that's not a problem then get one.

In general Fluke are tough but I am not sure how tough is the low end 101. I am OK for the limited functionality and no current measurement.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2024, 10:49:15 pm »
In general Fluke are tough but I am not sure how tough is the low end 101.

https://youtu.be/ymJc5oxthlw?t=791

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2024, 11:19:49 pm »
Another issue to consider is the battery used - Hioki 3244-60 and several other pocket DMM's use lithium coin cells which are nice and compact but have very little energy about 1/5 of an AAA alkaline pair. CR2032 Energizer sells for $6 here ouch.

Fluke 101 is not true-RMS and no idea of its AC frequency response, if it goes over a couple kHz.

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2024, 07:17:53 pm »
Perhaps some wear and tear can't be avoided, but for a toolbox get a hard case or for a glovebox go with a soft carry pouch.  Why abuse equipment unnecessarily?

If you actually don't need pocket-sized, then there are some other options like the BM235 or the Un-T UT-210 series.

I've not had any concerns with coin cell powered units.  Battery life is fine, but even then, due to their small size, it's easy to place a spare battery or two in the carry case.  Shelf life is frequently 10-20 years.  I can typically buy 10 CR2032 on eBay for the same price as one at a local store.  Also, a lithium coin cell is far less leak prone than AA/AAA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf