Author Topic: Fluke 101 selloff?  (Read 22145 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 101 selloff?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 06:59:07 pm »
You can still pick up Fluke 112 secondhand, not the best value though as they aren't commonly sold. A secondhand Fluke 117 is probably the wisest choice if you can wait for one at the right price and aren't worried about form factor. At the time I paid $55 USD for my Fluke 117 which was in new condition with carry case (easy decision) and $40 for the Fluke 112 which was a fairly grubby but cleaned up ok.

The Fluke 12 is another cool looking little meter that seems to have held it's price.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 07:02:56 pm »
Fungus, I'm hoping you get a commission:-) I'm in for 2 here.

" it'll only arrive at that price if they mark up the customs declaration wrong :(" Shipping from South Korea to USA probably not an issue. The estimated del. date is way out there.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 07:31:16 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »
The 12E+, a model I wasn't aware of  ::) looks a better option for a compact DMM

It's massive compared to the 101.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 08:57:01 pm »
Did some research on the 101 and I’m not buying one. Continuity is shit!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »
You'll actually have trouble buying one in the USA, Fluke's "USA!" models are all expensive.

Rest assured though, the 101 is 100% fluke. It's actually one of their hardest-to-kill models. Plus it fits in a shurt pocket, who doesn't want that?

Very easy to get here is the US.  I bought mine and a hard case off of Amazon.  Right now, one seller is selling at $40.50 with free Prime 2 day delivery.  Worth paying $4 more for 2 day delivery.  Paid $45 I think earlier this year plus another $17 for the Aenllosi hard case for it as it sits in my work toolbag. I swapped out the OEM leads for some Brymen leads I bought from Frankie's store and it works perfectly for my needs.  I have no need for current measurement and continuity testing is not something I will be using.  Mostly resistance pass/fail on a FRU and maybe verifying mains occasionally.  I should have bought this first instead of the Aneng AN 8008 and 8009 I bought for fun.  Size was also important to me as I carry a lot of tools in a not so large toolbag, otherwise I would carry my Fluke 27 F/M.  I really don't want to carry anything larger than what I have. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 09:33:52 pm »
That is why I said the Fluke 101 makes a great gift, there is obviously better meters but it's cheap so you can't expect a lot. It is well built, simple to use and mains safe.

Under the Fluke 117 ($150 new or whatever secondhand) it's a fairly lackluster choice in Chinese Fluke, they just seem to be missing a subset of features. Even asking for temp measurement seems like a special request. Still I like the Fluke 117 despite it not being the perfect electronics multimeter, it has got LoZ which is nice. Mine is a US made one but I can't tell any obvious differences.

Most of the cheap low end Chinese made models don't have True RMS. A deliberate move by Fluke of course, China don't deserve free True RMS. ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 07:54:08 am »
Under the Fluke 117 ($150 new or whatever secondhand) it's a fairly lackluster choice in Chinese Fluke, they just seem to be missing a subset of features. Even asking for temp measurement seems like a special request. Still I like the Fluke 117 despite it not being the perfect electronics multimeter, it has got LoZ which is nice. Mine is a US made one but I can't tell any obvious differences.

Most of the cheap low end Chinese made models don't have True RMS. A deliberate move by Fluke of course, China don't deserve free True RMS. ;D

The lack of temperature, amps, etc., is also a deliberate move., Fluke has been all about money for a long time now.

(I bet it's the reason they don't make that awesome little 112 shown above any more - too many features for too little money, not enough profit margin!)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:00:38 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 09:29:12 am »

Did some research on the 101 and I’m not buying one. Continuity is shit!

It's not that bad mate, you can't do drum triplets or get a Buddy Rich vibe going with the probes as well and on cue like with an 87V, 189, 289 etc

but with clean probe tips the 101 does better than many other brand big dollar multimeters that are a disappointing FAIL in this regard

I roll with Fluke meters ONLY because they are THE fastest Continuity/Buzzer game in town, and the MIX MAX AVE PEAK capture function rocks  :-+

as these are the features I really need for serious troubleshooting, especially intermittent ball breakers  |O |O

All the other functions many other meters can do well enough or same, and at a much cheaper price  :phew:

I'd go with a feature starved 101 before considering an Aneng bells and whistles car wheel chock any day

unless the 101 is a MIC rebadged orange Aneng we aren't supposed to know about..  :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 09:52:15 am »
Wow, from South Korea. Think they may be real? Ebays getting better on that stuff.

To my knowledge there has never been an actual Fluke ripoff that looks like the real thing. There is the "Fuke" brand, and ones the copy the general look'n'feel, but no identical "fakes".

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 10:21:31 am »
Wow, from South Korea. Think they may be real? Ebays getting better on that stuff.

To my knowledge there has never been an actual Fluke ripoff that looks like the real thing. There is the "Fuke" brand, and ones the copy the general look'n'feel, but no identical "fakes".
So are you saying you think those cheap Flukes are really made by Fluke Dave?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »

Fluke 101 are made in China for Fluke. There are also models such as 117C and 17B which seem to be local only models, you are likely to only see these emanate from Asia. The 110 series on the other hand were made in the US then moved to China for manufacture but still sold worldwide.

There have been no obvious fakes and the Fluke 101 have been sold for about $50 with free shipping for years. Still there is a first time for everything, but I think people are fairly wary of buying fake multimeters due to safety concerns.

I don't mind buying secondhand and have managed to avoid lemons. Once you have a semi decent multimeter there is little incentive to shop at all for Chinese low end meters and even models like the Fluke 101 aren't that appealing.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 01:40:57 pm »

Fluke 101 are made in China for Fluke. There are also models such as 117C and 17B which seem to be local only models, you are likely to only see these emanate from Asia. The 110 series on the other hand were made in the US then moved to China for manufacture but still sold worldwide.

There have been no obvious fakes and the Fluke 101 have been sold for about $50 with free shipping for years. Still there is a first time for everything, but I think people are fairly wary of buying fake multimeters due to safety concerns.

I don't mind buying secondhand and have managed to avoid lemons. Once you have a semi decent multimeter there is little incentive to shop at all for Chinese low end meters and even models like the Fluke 101 aren't that appealing.

Although remember than the warranty of models only available in China is only valid in China, not for export. I think it also applies (not 100% sure) to the models with C on the end (not the Colour Scopemeters) like the 117C, 87VC and 287C/289C for example.

Exactly like the grey market of Nikon/Canon being sold in this part of the world, specially Hong Kong (Nikon US is different from Nikon International for example, even in the serial numbers who start with US) They are cheaper, but Nikon/Canon/Etc will not provide warranty because most models are imported from Japan. Same with most of the Watch Shops selling Seiko, Citizen, Casio, etc. If they have 20% to 40% discount over the original prices then they have been imported and in warranty claims are handle by the shop who sold them, not the manufacturer.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 06:33:37 pm »
I'll pass. Me and my 22 year old 87 Series 1 have been through some tough scrapes and it still works perfectly. Why should I down grade?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:14 pm »
I grabbed two - figure one to put in the glove box of the Jeep, and one to lose here in the house...  (Or maybe it will find and lead me to my also missing 27FM..)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »
I'll pass. Me and my 22 year old 87 Series 1 have been through some tough scrapes and it still works perfectly. Why should I down grade?  :-//

You only ever need one meter??  :bullshit:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:18 pm »

You only ever need one meter??  :bullshit:

No....I have nearly a dozen assorted DMM's.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 10:04:14 pm »

Yes. These are made in China specifically for the Chinese market.
Fluke have a long history of this which started with the (ill-fated) Fluke 19, it was only ever sold in the asia-pacific market (including Australia)

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 11:01:10 pm »
There have been no obvious fakes and the Fluke 101 have been sold for about $50 with free shipping for years.

Less.

This $37 price tag is only about $6 or $7 less than they normally go for.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 11:25:46 pm »

The 101 is a toy in size, spec and features compared to 87 Series 1,
but a cheap/er sacrificial or surviver meter in suspect/unknown scenarios, where an unsuspecting 87 may end up a zapped hero  :'(

Also I'll bet 'most' 87 Series 1 screw posts are cracked and wonky from battery and or fuse changes,
so don't expect any serious  handheld CAT 111+ bangs to be contained by the meter body.  :scared:

or you can resort to taping up the sides and tops to hold the meter together, with a decent electrical or duct tape that won't run, slide or get gooey,
use two stacked layers if thin.   

Yes, it's bugly and won't be strutting any meter fashion CAT walks  (  :palm: ) but it gets the job done keeping the meter intact,
especially on a toned down Fluke 28-11 DJ style drop  :o

A small quantity of good quality electrical or duct tape is cheap,

and saves on stuffing about with epoxy glues etc, which may fail or work loose from the meter body/chassis anyway  :-// 

A tape up job like this no one sees once the amber/yellow holster in on  :-DMM

Pictured example is an 87V photo taken to show a member here at another post a fast easy 'keep it together' option,
my Series 1 87  got the treatment first, as have some other meters with suss posts

Taiwan made meters  :-+ have metal posts, not sure about MIJ and Europe ones  :-//

yet Fluke somehow misses the boat on this constantly   :=\
whilst flogging serious -BANG- videos on Youtube with new multimeters with one time screwed posts,
containing the sparks and fun flames 

Probe safe folks, and don't trust any multimeter (especially with current sockets) at higher voltages/amps
or brand rep.

Coffeeholic marketing teams and corporats they work for are not known for picking up medical bills or funeral costs,
especially on older gear or products past the 'Limited Conditions' Warranty date    :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:49 pm »
I got a beater 87 from eBay earlier this year. It’s now my main meter.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/long-term-reliability-of-some-cheap-multimeters/msg2577435/#msg2577435

Honestly I’d I’m going to kill myself with a meter it’s not going to be with it blowing up in my face but me becoming part of a circuit somewhere because of a procedural error. Thus I don’t really give a fuck about the CAT marketing. If i was poking around bus bars I may worry. What I care about is usability and fluke are a winner there. Well they were - the 87V was a regression.

I’ve owned keysight, Brymen, Uni-T and at least 15 fluke meters and this one is just right.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:53:57 pm by bd139 »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 12:53:47 am »
I got a beater 87 from eBay earlier this year. It’s now my main meter.

I ended up with a beater 87 last year for $40. The holster is crusty and could do with new buttons and LCD bezel, but otherwise fine. I have two Fluke 87V in good condition now so decided I'll probably not spend more money on the 87. But yeah secondhand is the way to go for bang for buck.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 03:54:17 am »
Honestly I’d I’m going to kill myself with a meter it’s not going to be with it blowing up in my face but me becoming part of a circuit somewhere because of a procedural error. Thus I don’t really give a fuck about the CAT marketing. If i was poking around bus bars I may worry.

Yes, a high end CAT rated meter isn't going to matter for most users.
You just have to make sure it's basically safe for mains and other high powered stuff. i.e proper HRC and voltage rated fuses, and some basic surge protection.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 03:57:43 am »
There have been no obvious fakes and the Fluke 101 have been sold for about $50 with free shipping for years.
Less.
This $37 price tag is only about $6 or $7 less than they normally go for.

Same price on Aliexpress: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ni5zAcKM
You can also get the Fluke Voltstick (but Chinese marked) for $15: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/CkDQcEKU

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 04:01:28 am »
This store here calls itself the "FLUKE-Multimeters Authenticate Store" and has several models.

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/oZYKWqp2

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf