Author Topic: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?  (Read 167992 times)

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
Re: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:31 am »
Thank You!

I'm using a B one, that I borrow from a friend of mine, but I must to buy one..  :-+
If someone have one genuine, good working and cheap, please contact me.

Manuel

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »
Didn't see this mentioned: There is a way to tell if you're dealing with a fake or genuine 82357B without having to do anything intrusive to the unit.
The inner metal shielding extends outside of the case, but only where the screws are at the back. This is only on the genuine unit, the fake unit is exclusively plastic. So if you see one for sale, this would be an easy way to tell if it's fake or not.

A picture of a genuine unit (notice the metal inner shield ).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:16:46 am by Signal32 »

The following users thanked this post: MarkL, Kean

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:16 am »

Are these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122047211852   Counterfeit??

Someone know the seller??

Thanks!
Manuel

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #253 on: July 21, 2016, 12:11:51 am »

Are these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122047211852   Counterfeit??

Someone know the seller??

Thanks!
Manuel

It's hard to say with the low quality pictures, one had the cable replaced with the black USB cable, others look like they don't even have knurling on the finger screws and some even show some rust in that stack. It's a typical eBay auction of chance. The price alone says they probably are, but then again you would think that these should be dropping in price as people move to the new keysight meter as they discontinue the 34401A.
No way to confirm without better pictures, sorry.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2016, 12:22:26 am »
It's hard to say with the low quality pictures, one had the cable replaced with the black USB cable, others look like they don't even have knurling on the finger screws and some even show some rust in that stack. It's a typical eBay auction of chance. The price alone says they probably are, but then again you would think that these should be dropping in price as people move to the new keysight meter as they discontinue the 34401A.

Most likely fake because:
- I msg'ed the seller requesting more info / pictures and she replied with a nonsense response that would make you think that she doesn't understand English.
- 2nd picture having lower resolution than the 1st makes me think that the pictures are fake ( she does not have access to the items in the first two pictures ). I do think that the items in the first two pictures are genuine.
- The 3rd picture shows a single unit. This one looks different than the others. Notice that all the others have their cable tied with a zip tie. This one does not, it's cable it's tied with the same as the fake ones from other sellers. Also it's cable is folded neatly ( factory-packaged style ) vs the ones from the previous pictures where the cable is somewhat messy.

IMO the seller is posting pictures of used genuine units(to make buyers think that they are used but genuine) which she doesn't have and probably shipping out new fake units, as used.
But, you can make an offer asking specifically for the black cable one and only that one. If the seller accepts it's a high chance that you'll get a genuine one
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:25:16 am by Signal32 »

The following users thanked this post: msraya

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2016, 07:08:03 am »

Most likely fake because:
- I msg'ed the seller requesting more info / pictures and she replied with a nonsense response that would make you think that she doesn't understand English.
- 2nd picture having lower resolution than the 1st makes me think that the pictures are fake ( she does not have access to the items in the first two pictures ). I do think that the items in the first two pictures are genuine.
- The 3rd picture shows a single unit. This one looks different than the others. Notice that all the others have their cable tied with a zip tie. This one does not, it's cable it's tied with the same as the fake ones from other sellers. Also it's cable is folded neatly ( factory-packaged style ) vs the ones from the previous pictures where the cable is somewhat messy.

IMO the seller is posting pictures of used genuine units(to make buyers think that they are used but genuine) which she doesn't have and probably shipping out new fake units, as used.
But, you can make an offer asking specifically for the black cable one and only that one. If the seller accepts it's a high chance that you'll get a genuine one

All good points, but if you read the whole 11 pages of posts you will also see that the fake ones come with the zip tie wrap also. Even the one I originally received. It was a good %95 fake. From the packaging to the item case. A few mistakes with the included cert, a scratched CD with the wrong software on it, sealed box. It wasn't until a few of us took them apart to see the big differences are on the inside. And eBay sellers are not willing to take pictures of the inside especially if they claim they are new.
But the wire tie is a common item on the good fakes.

It looks like the word about the fakes are spreading, stores are loosing the ads from being reported to Ebay. They are being returned, and now the opened returned fakes are being sold cheaper from other sellers. They will just keep trying to sell them until they are all gone.

FYI, all the adapters in the last few years say KeySight, not Agilent on them. So when people start updating the meters they will sell the real ones eventually but look for the ones labeled keysight. I have not seen a keysight fake one yet, but it might happen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:10:25 am by Scottjd »
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »
Any advantage to one of these vs. just buying a Prologix new for $150 direct from Prologix?

I want to get a GPIB to USB, but have no experience with them.

Thoughts?

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2016, 02:46:15 am »
Any advantage to one of these vs. just buying a Prologix new for $150 direct from Prologix?

I want to get a GPIB to USB, but have no experience with them.

Thoughts?

A new, and real, Keysight 82357B USB/GPIB Interface is $731 (Canadian dollars) according to Keysight website.

It seems that all "Agilent 82357B" from China are fake. Fake unit, in a fake box with fake manual and fake CD.

At least Prologix appears to be a legit company. On their About page, they list some of their customers: http://prologix.biz/about.html

:)

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:02 am »
I know the new ones are very pricey, but price != quality or utility.

I am thinking of getting a Prologix, and wondered if there was any reason to choose the Agilent or NI model instead???

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2016, 07:26:44 am »
I know the new ones are very pricey, but price != quality or utility.

I am thinking of getting a Prologix, and wondered if there was any reason to choose the Agilent or NI model instead???

It depends on the usage. If you want to program your own application, Prologix is OK. But if you want to use Labview and applications like BenchVue and etc. buy rather NI GPIB HS ( lot of fakes are also on eBay).
Also consider Agilent E5810, they are LAN-GPIB gateways. Which you can buy cheap on eBay.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2016, 07:59:30 am »
I have 3 Beiming's , an Agilent "lookalike" (prob. a clone) , a Agilent E5810 , and a Prologic Lan.

My Agilent works fine with linux-gpib , same does my Beimings.
I really dont understand all the fuzz ... About the Agilent. Well aside from the "IP theft".

I'd go for a NI HS if i was to use Labwiev, then you don't have to rely on the (Win Only) NI-Compatibility layer from Agilent/KS.

I'm linux-only , so i use linux-gpib. With own logging mostly in python. That does the job for me

I almost never use my Prologic-lan (slow) , and haven't gotten around to the Agilent E5810 yet (but @ 125$) i just grabbed it for future use.

/Bingo

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2016, 06:12:12 pm »
I would be writing my own software either in C or Python. Since this is a hobby I doubt I would ever spend the money on LabView. I am mainly playing with this stuff at this point.

The Prologix USB with EZGPIB looks pretty slick.

I see some NI USB-HS units can be had on eBay for around $180. I guess these are fakes, but probably work fine.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2016, 07:17:04 pm »
As you might have read earlier in this tread, I used to have a fake one and sold it.
No worries whatsoever, it was working perfectly alright.
And the buyer also was happy with it.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2016, 12:35:22 am »
Well, as expected, my 82357B from eBay was a fake and I got a full refund - Keysight Connection Manager would not see it on my Windows 10 64 bit PC.

So I just bought an Agilent E5810A LAN / GBIP unit used on eBay - pretty sure it's genuine - and I also just won an auction for a used NI GPIB-USB-HS that looks genuine for $100 with my last few seconds sniper bid :D
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2016, 01:42:34 am »
Well, as expected, my 82357B from eBay was a fake and I got a full refund - Keysight Connection Manager would not see it on my Windows 10 64 bit PC.

So I just bought an Agilent E5810A LAN / GBIP unit used on eBay - pretty sure it's genuine - and I also just won an auction for a used NI GPIB-USB-HS that looks genuine for $100 with my last few seconds sniper bid :D

Good luck in both. I hope they are both real. Just so you know their is fake NI adapters also. I haven't seen one and don't know how to identify one as fake. But I called NI and they said they know of fakes on the market. That's the difference, NI will admit it, keysight plays dumb if you ask them. And keysight knows about it, trust me.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2016, 07:22:28 am »

Fake NI GPIB-USB-HS had different type of screws, but now it seems they fixed it.
There are also covers available on ebay.
Make fake E5810A is much more difficult, because it is more complex  (PPC inside). And I was not sure if E5810A is Agilent product, it looks more like http://www.icselect.com/ product.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2016, 08:51:20 am »
And I was not sure if E5810A is Agilent product, it looks more like http://www.icselect.com/ product.
That is an interesting thought.
I have a Keysight branded E5810B and will open it up to check the markings on the PCB.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2016, 09:22:01 am »
And I was not sure if E5810A is Agilent product, it looks more like http://www.icselect.com/ product.
That is an interesting thought.
I have a Keysight branded E5810B and will open it up to check the markings on the PCB.

I'm not sure about E5810B, but both E5810A has on PCB Agilent marking.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: October 10, 2016, 09:29:32 am »
plesa
Have you successfully integrated the E5810A in to the Keysight connection expert?
Somehow I have trouble getting the E5810B recognized inside of the I/O Libraries (Connection Expert)
The web interface to the E5810B works very well.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2016, 03:26:43 pm »
Keysight did rebadge one of the ICS boxes, but its ok, ICS made good gpib stuff. I use a ics gpib<>ethernet box that works flawlessly.

I believe the ics rebadge was the N4865A, but also maybe other sku.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2016, 08:26:53 pm »
plesa
Have you successfully integrated the E5810A in to the Keysight connection expert?
Somehow I have trouble getting the E5810B recognized inside of the I/O Libraries (Connection Expert)
The web interface to the E5810B works very well.

Just go to the "Manual configuration" and select "Remote GPIB interface" and "Find interface". This should find your 5810 within 30 seconds.
Or I will needs more detailed issue description.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »
My E5810A was plug and play for Keysight Connection Expert (KCE) under Windows 10 64 bit.  My (genuine) NI GPIB-USB-HS did not find a driver and I went to the NI site to download and almost 1 GByte package which I gave up on when it told me it was going to rename the Keysight VISA drivers.  Any advice on how I should proceed? I'm thinking I just need a few kBytes of driver.inf stuff for the USB device to work with KCE; any throughts?

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #272 on: October 14, 2016, 04:40:14 pm »
My E5810A was plug and play for Keysight Connection Expert (KCE) under Windows 10 64 bit.  My (genuine) NI GPIB-USB-HS did not find a driver and I went to the NI site to download and almost 1 GByte package which I gave up on when it told me it was going to rename the Keysight VISA drivers.  Any advice on how I should proceed? I'm thinking I just need a few kBytes of driver.inf stuff for the USB device to work with KCE; any throughts?

Do you still have a Keysight adapter?  If not, there should be no need for the Keysight drivers and everything should work with the NI drivers.  Even if the NI install renames the Keysight drivers, they are still available.  I have both installed on my machines and NI Visa can see devices found by the Keysight drivers.  Any software that was accessing the Keysight Visa should be able to talk to NI Visa just fine... So I'd just let the NI install do its thing.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:34 pm »
Orin, thanks, I will consider that but why do I need a 1 GByte install just for a USB driver, do I get a load of extra stuff with the NI install?  Is so any idea what it is?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »
My problem was similar
I had installed the software for a keithley DMM and it screwed up my Keysight VISA settings and more.
After I removed an re-installed the Keysight Connection expert and I/O libraries all worked perfectly with the E5810B

When I downloaded the latest Keithley drivers, it was also huge and took forever to install.
May be better to keep only Keysight VISA on one computer exclusively.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf