Author Topic: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?  (Read 169662 times)

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:53 pm »
Do not affraid. I expect that ebay will provide you full refund in case you will receive fake. In this thread you can find documentation of almost all fakes.
Notice the difference in screws  it is first noticeable difference between genuine and fake adapters.

Offline t3chiman

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2015, 02:51:28 pm »
Another data point in the nettcy168 saga:  I ordered one, and it was delivered promptly. Upon initial, cursory, examination, it was legitimate. A closer inspection, though, revealed discrepancies when compared with the authentic Agilent part. My request for a refund was approved within minutes. The return process was painless. Paypal shows that the refund was credited without delay.
Thanks to EEVblog members for alerting me to the fraud.
Some oddities:
  • nettcy168 has a photobucket page showing a vast array of electronic control items. I would be shocked to find that all of them are counterfeits.
  • The return address is to an addressee "huchirong udf-krgiox". Pretty cryptic. But huchirong is a user in github. In fact, huchirong/gpibusb-documentation was forked 3 years ago from Galvant/gpibusb-documentation. And Galvant is a perfectly honorable professional (in fact was an active poster on eevblog, as scasagrande), making and selling, of all things, GPIB-USB adapters. Small world, after all.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2015, 03:25:49 pm »
I tested my 51$ unit. I replaced a genuine one with it. I logged 6 thermopair readings per second for a while. It worked as well as the original one in that setup.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2015, 10:38:22 am »

Any thoughts about this item ?
No idea, but at least it looks genuine aftermarket.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2015, 11:55:13 am »
What's making me curious is where they're getting the Agilent custom GPIB controller chips... surely there aren't that many broken 82537Bs kicking around with working chips they can salvage?

It seems to be readily available:
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/quote.php?action=search&pn=1822-0639

I think it was used in other Agilent equipment as well.

It's in the 34970A, 34401A, and 8753ES/ET. From the description in the 34401A it's:
IC-GPIB Controller IEEE-488 1975/78 01295 TMS9914AFNL

It's a TI part.

Interesting that Keysight find-a-part lists it:
NFTS IC ASIC HPIB CONTROLLER, KEYSIGHT TRADE RESTRICTED.   
Item Status:      Not orderable, Contact Keysight for repair service

Looks like it's obsolete...

Jay
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »
Just purchased th $51 special  :-DD

Any thoughts about this item ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UGSimple-USB-to-GPIB-Controller/171631337518?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32933%26meid%3De549fb8648b14c60850c30a218eb9cb7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D251692772284

The seller states:
The maximum length of a GPIB command send or a data read is 60bytes.
Binary data transferring is not supported on UGSimple USB to GPIB Controller.

Both of these, each on their own, are crippling limitations.

The seller says the binary issue will be fixed "soon".  Personally, I don't buy future features or promised bug fixes.  (Had to learn that lesson several times...)

Plus, no idea what kind of GPIB line drivers (if any) you'll find inside.

I wouldn't buy this adapter.

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2015, 02:52:55 pm »
Mark, I saw the "future features" part but missed the length of data it can handle  :palm:

TNX 4 the heads up !

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2015, 06:08:55 am »
So far so good with the 82357B GPIB USB Interface-Compatible that cost me $51 DELIVERED in 5 days from China !

Had no problems when I hooked up my 53131 but had change the "Agilent 488 properties" in order to use the programs from KE5FX for my old 8591E.

I opened it up and was surprised how well it looked, no complaints from me  :-+

In my opinion it was well worth the $51

Offline neopticus

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »
I also purchased the "new" version of 82357B from nettcy168: http://www.ebay.com/itm/82357B-GPIB-USB-Interface-Compatible-AGILENT-82357B-new-version-/251692772284

It arrived to Finland quite fast (in less than a week) via DHL.

It seems to work just fine with BenchVue (detects my instruments, can send and receive commands/data) but I haven't done any fast data retrieval or  long-term testing.

Dadler already posted some pictures of the tear-down so I won't repeat that here, but I did open it up to check the construction and it seems to be hand-soldered. Few slightly kinked components and few pieces of stray solder on the PCB but nothing weird otherwise. I scraped the extra solder away to make sure they don't get loose later and cause short circuiting,  and I suggest you do that too if you buy the same adaptor.

Anyway, for 52 USD it wasn't a bad deal. On his eBay page he states that it's "compatible with 82357B" and not authentic device, so I guess there's no complaining that they are not genuine Agilent devices  (even though the sticker on the back side states otherwise) :)

Offline Noise Floor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
FWIW I ordered one early, appears to work well.  Not sure if I'll keep it or scrap it.
Thanks to High Voltage for the images of real vs. fake.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2015, 07:08:48 pm »
So far so good with the 82357B GPIB USB Interface-Compatible that cost me $51 DELIVERED in 5 days from China !

Had no problems when I hooked up my 53131 but had change the "Agilent 488 properties" in order to use the programs from KE5FX for my old 8591E.

I opened it up and was surprised how well it looked, no complaints from me  :-+

In my opinion it was well worth the $51

I have been trying one out and my labview program that used the VISA trigger function failed whereas the "Agilent" version from the same seller had been working fine.  I changed the trigger method and the program worked again.

The instrument is an HP 3456A and it is initialized with T4.  A gpib trigger should cause it to take a reading which I then read with the VISA read function.  The read times out with this clone adapter.  The alternative trigger is to write "T3" to the instrument.  In this case, the instrument does take a reading and the VISA read succeeds.

The Agilent(Keysight) IO monitor shows the VISA trigger command succeeding and the VISA read command timing out.  Given that the Agilent branded adapter does work, it is probably a firmware bug in the adapter.

I noted that when the Agilent branded adapter is plugged in, it comes up as vid:pid 0957:0518.  The firmware is loaded by the driver and the adapter disconnects/reconnects as 0957:0718 with product string "82357B".

When the so called clone is plugged in, it immediately comes up as 0957:0718 and has product string "H82357"... so its firmware is built in.

Is it worth the $51?  Perhaps if you are writing your programs from scratch.  If not, I'd say all bets are off.  I will communicate this problem to the ebay seller.

I have not managed to make either of these adapters work at all on Windows 10 (cannot find instruments) and just don't ask about mixing Agilent IO libraries with NI Visa...

Edit: clone and IO libraries 17 seem to work on 2012 Server R2 - at least it finds an instrument and Keysight Interactive IO can communicate with a 3456A.  Interactive IO can't do trigger command so that problem hasn't been tested yet.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:49:50 pm by orin »

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »
orin,
Sorry to hear that the "$51 special" isn't working out for you. The seller does allow returns but I wonder how much that would cost ?
Do you have any other devices you can hook up and try ?
Wish I knew more about this subject but these gizmos weren't around back in the vacuum tube days when I was in school so I am trying to learn LOL
Good luck !

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2015, 12:58:56 am »
orin,
Sorry to hear that the "$51 special" isn't working out for you. The seller does allow returns but I wonder how much that would cost ?
Do you have any other devices you can hook up and try ?
Wish I knew more about this subject but these gizmos weren't around back in the vacuum tube days when I was in school so I am trying to learn LOL
Good luck !

Oh, I'm not concerned about returning the device.  This problem was easy enough to work around.  I will try a different instrument... Mr 5335A, your turn!

I did reproduce the problem with a different computer, OS (2012 Server R2) and different 3456A.  (The log file from Keysight IO Monitor is attached as a .txt file; it's actually xml if the forum lets it through.  It shows the assert trigger succeeding, but the following read failing.)

Edit (9/28/15):  Message sent to seller on eBay on 9/26) about the trigger problem.  No response as yet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:12:06 pm by orin »

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2015, 07:15:44 am »
Did anyone try the $51 clone with linux-gpib ?

I have an "Agilent" (prob a clone) , and 2 Beimings , that both work excellent with linux-gpib.

I worked with Beiming, to get their versions to work with linux-gpib.
So i know they had to change something in their firmware to make it compatible with the way the "Agilent" behaved under linux-gpib.

A non working linux-usb would be a 100% showstopper for me.

/Bingo

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:35 pm »

Oh, I'm not concerned about returning the device.  This problem was easy enough to work around.  I will try a different instrument... Mr 5335A, your turn!

Well, I never got to trying the 5335A due to the general incompatibilities of the Keysight IO Libraries.  The 5335A does not send an EOI with its output; you have to either read exactly 21 bytes, or terminate a read on '\n'.  No way I've found of configuring this that I've found to work - there is an EOS setting for the adapter in Keysights configuration, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Then NI VISA decided not to see any devices from Keysight VISA, even though I had the correct passport selected.  Solution: change the interface name from GPI0 to GPIB1 in the Keysight configuration.  There was a hidden configuration for a GPIB0 somewhere in NI VISA that prevented it looking for a GPIB0 from Keysight VISA.

Next, make the remote Keysight VISA work again since it's now seeing a ghost instrument that is different from that shown on the remote machine and only showing.  Solution summary:

1. Install the latest Keysight IO Libraries.  2. Keysight's remote VISA connects to the SICL gpib name, not the VISA gpib name and yes, they can be different.  So I made them the same for the 82357B and reconfigured on the remote machine.

Now it was only seeing one of two instruments on the remote machine.  Autoscan is failing due to the timeout reading from the 5335A and not going on to query the 3456A.  No way of telling the autoscan to continue on the remote machine, though you can on the local machine.  Solution: manually configure the instruments on the remote machine.

Now I can see both instruments locally and remotely, both with Keysight's "Connection Expert" and NI's MAX.  NI's test panel actually configures the line termination character properly and can read data from the 5335A correctly without timeouts.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2015, 03:29:58 pm »
So I just purchased one of these. Looked authentic, sealed, new in box, yada yada, yada.

I posted about this in another thread I started and was posted to this thread of fake or not.

Anyway, I'm far from rich, this is a home hobby. So I just called keysight. Customer service was friendly and had no problem looking up the serial number. She said it was from the Malaysia plant, shipped from the plant on November 29, 2009. This matches the certification date of November 10 being tested. And the label on the box of November 02. Box is made first, then item is tested, then it's shipped and logged. The date in their system is just the shipping date it left the plant to a reseller.

They are going to email me a copy of the testing certificate and it should match the unique number on mine that's looks like a photo copy.

Well of the test cert matches what the plant emails me next week I'm good to call mine authentic despite the little changes. It's just old stock from 2009, but the warranty should still be good and it was only $130, not the $550 listed on keysight web site. 

I'll try to get pictures up. Keysight may also chime in, she mentioned she would pass on the concern of fakes to the public relations department. They may be able to provide us some pictures showing the changes with this hardware over the years (I hope).

Scott
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:59:01 am by Scottjd »
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2015, 03:45:51 pm »
Nice work chasing up Keysight on this issue, I'm looking forward to what they have to say.   :-+

Hopefully it's something innocent like an earlier revision, I don't recall anyone posting pictures of a known genuine adaptor that's been manufactured before the late 2009 suspect ones...I think.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2015, 05:02:07 pm »
So I just purchased one of these. Looked authentic, sealed, new in box, yada yada, yada.
It was a Amazon prime buy, I would rather deal with Amazon for returns then eBay. Plus it's a local return shipping and if it's fake then I don't pay for return shipping.

I posted about this in another thread I started and was posted to this thread of fake or not.
He thought I wouldn't open it for return reasons, he didn't know me. I cracked it open and took a look.
I found a few similar items mentioned on hear like the missing sheild on the USB mini end of the cable. Not gold colored coated inside the plastic. Inductors marked with 3 dots, not 220. And so on. CD was also scratched. Another thing that caught my eye is it looked like the test certificate was photo copied, or maybe just a bad laser printer that needs cleaned?

Anyway, I'm far from rich, this is a home hobby. So I just called keysight. Customer service was friendly and had no problem looking up the serial number. She said it was from the Malaysia plant, shipped from the plant on November 29, 2009. This matches the certification date of November 10 being tested. And the label on the box of November 02. Box is made first, then item is tested, then it's shipped and logged.
The date in their system is just the shipping date it left the plant to a reseller.

They are going to email me a copy of the testing certificate and it should match the unique number on mine that's looks like a photo copy.

I guess the point is things change. My font on the PCB board does not look the same as the pictures, and the sheild on the USB cable may have been added on later made ones, or ones before mine. It depends on the manufacturing date. No labels on the bottom chips on the PCB, also may depend on when it was made.
Even the stamped lettering on the enclosure.

I should mention that the pictures show PCB version A, and mine is noted version 002.
Well of the test cert matches what the plant emails me next week I'm good to call mine authentic despite the little changes. It's just old stock from 2009, but the warranty should still be good and it was only $130, not the $550 listed on keysight web site. 

I'll try to get pictures up. Keysight may also chime in, she mentioned she would pass on the concern of fakes to the public relations department. They may be able to provide us some pictures showing the changes with this hardware over the years (I hope).

Scott

Not to rain on your parade, but even if they do send you a certificate, and it matches the unique number on yours--how are you going to conclude that you don't have a clone/counterfeit? My serial number matched the website too. If I were cloning products (not my short-term plan as a career goal), I would at least make an effort to clone the documentation too.

All of these fakes (I am now certain that at least mine is fake, due to the solder quality, internal build quality, and other factors), come from a short run in 2009. Yours also being from 2009 is at least arguable circumstantial evidence that yours is like ours.

I won't leave our hope for the possibility that we are all wrong, but things are not looking good here...

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
I bet that if you purchased a bunch of them, the 'unique' numbers would start repeating......
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:00 pm »
Can anyone recommend a low cost USB to GPIB adapter that works with linux-gpib and isn't a fake?

Offline OldSchoolTechCorner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2015, 07:15:38 pm »
I got a new one for $60 including shipping (the square model) after making an offer the seller couldn't refuse because the market is already satured. Not bad to finally toy around a bit with GPIB...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:23:31 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »
It was a Amazon prime buy, I would rather deal with Amazon for returns then eBay. Plus it's a local return shipping and if it's fake then I don't pay for return shipping.

He thought I wouldn't open it for return reasons, he didn't know me. I cracked it open and took a look.
I found a few similar items mentioned on hear like the missing sheild on the USB mini end of the cable. Not gold colored coated inside the plastic. Inductors marked with 3 dots, not 220. And so on. CD was also scratched. Another thing that caught my eye is it looked like the test certificate was photo copied, or maybe just a bad laser printer that needs cleaned?

Anyway, I'm far from rich, this is a home hobby. So I just called keysight. Customer service was friendly and had no problem looking up the serial number. She said it was from the Malaysia plant, shipped from the plant on November 29, 2009. This matches the certification date of November 10 being tested. And the label on the box of November 02. Box is made first, then item is tested, then it's shipped and logged.
The date in their system is just the shipping date it left the plant to a reseller.

I guess the point is things change. My font on the PCB board does not look the same as the pictures, and the sheild on the USB cable may have been added on later made ones, or ones before mine. It depends on the manufacturing date. No labels on the bottom chips on the PCB, also may depend on when it was made.
Even the stamped lettering on the enclosure.

I should mention that the pictures show PCB version A, and mine is noted version 002.

Scott

Not to rain on your parade, but even if they do send you a certificate, and it matches the unique number on yours--how are you going to conclude that you don't have a clone/counterfeit? My serial number matched the website too. If I were cloning products (not my short-term plan as a career goal), I would at least make an effort to clone the documentation too.

All of these fakes (I am now certain that at least mine is fake, due to the solder quality, internal build quality, and other factors), come from a short run in 2009. Yours also being from 2009 is at least arguable circumstantial evidence that yours is like ours.

I won't leave our hope for the possibility that we are all wrong, but things are not looking good here...

Well the problem I guess I see is I'm not sure sloppy soldering is a definitive statement of being fake.
I need more then just that, and that board A components are different then board 002 rev since components change during manufacturing all the time.
If Agilent had Malaysia and 2 other plants making them, it's even possible he same years will have different component just because the plant sourced different parts, but the main parts are the same. I've seen it before.

So before I go getting an Amazon prime store shut down claiming fake (and I've done that before) I guess I'm looking for a little more.
I can't test it until I get the meter next week. I can send it back claiming defective and request a different date code one, but they most likely won't do that. It's Amazon.....

If a block of certificates and serial numbers got copied then at least Agilent knows about it know. I've dealt in fraud professionally and theirs always a definitive mark that gives it up, but only Agilent can share pictures of all the possible makes and versions for us to be sure.
I'm it saying everyone is wrong, or correct. I'm just being a skeptic, maybe. It things like the letter depth changed on the plastic case in the wording, that could of just been sourcing a different cheaper plastic lying company and again, only Agilent would know this. Now if they allowed people to register the device then they would have already noticed dups in serial numbers being registered. Or the user would get a message that this serial number is already registered. I don't understand why they don't have this, but they have all the serials from the time it was made originally because she was able to pull it up.

This is why I am trying to fold them in. At most they need to be aware of it, they may have a manufacturing plant with a big leak and fake items may work at first, then die. This affects their reputation in quality products.

Opps, I meant keysight in all of the above. Not Agilent.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »
Fake or not, they work well.

I had a fake one that I would never have suspected to be a fake one because it worked so well.
Well, I sold it anyways and the new owner was very happy with it.

As soon as you open up the case and find it not metal coated inside, it is a fake!
Because Agilent had shielding metal inside the housing already on the "A" version, as I have shown earlier in this thread.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf