Author Topic: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?  (Read 168003 times)

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flood of new Agilent 82357B GPIB-USB adaptors on eBay the real deal?
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:57 pm »
Orin, thanks, I will consider that but why do I need a 1 GByte install just for a USB driver, do I get a load of extra stuff with the NI install?  Is so any idea what it is?

I really don't know why it's that big.  It could be that they include .net or C runtime libraries that might not be installed already.  Even so, it's excessive.

They do include utilities such as NI-Max and their utility to send commands to an instrument is far better than Keysight's IMO.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2016, 10:02:20 pm »
The Keysight I/O Libraries installer will ask if its VISA drivers should be installed as the first driver or alongside a VISA driver from another vendor. If you do need to have two different ones installed, you could try installing the Keysight second and choosing the latter installation option.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2016, 11:46:10 am »
Thanks for all the input; I'm thinking of following HighVoltage's advice and just using the Agilent E5810A with the Keysight Connection Expert drivers.  I'm moving my work into more research and development and want to add a full-blown data gathering package.  Although it's old, this article and it's comments suggests that LabView is difficult to use and expensive, it seems Agilent (Keysight) VEE may be the better route and a license is 'only' $1,000.  Any comments?

Assuming I go the Agilent VEE route (likely), I have a genuine NI GPIB-USB-HS for sale, pm me if you're interested in it before I put it up on eBay.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #278 on: October 15, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »
Thanks for all the input; I'm thinking of following HighVoltage's advice and just using the Agilent E5810A with the Keysight Connection Expert drivers.  I'm moving my work into more research and development and want to add a full-blown data gathering package.  Although it's old, this article and it's comments suggests that LabView is difficult to use and expensive, it seems Agilent (Keysight) VEE may be the better route and a license is 'only' $1,000.  Any comments?

Assuming I go the Agilent VEE route (likely), I have a genuine NI GPIB-USB-HS for sale, pm me if you're interested in it before I put it up on eBay.

Just my opinion: I gave up trying to learn Labview long ago after several tries. I did not find it intuitive, and debugging a Labview program can bring even non-believers to prayer. I have not tried VEE, so it may be better.

Though I am normally a graphically oriented person, for things like instrument control and repetitive operations, I have found text-based programming to be the most clear and by far the easiest to debug. This is especially important for me because instrument control is only about 5-10% of my job, and a programming project comes up only a couple times a year, so there is significant relearning at the beginning of each on. I use Python with pyvisa, and so far, so good. I'm not sure that I like python or not, but I can get it to work, and it handles all different kinds of data quite well. You can do a GUI or not, as meets your needs. Also, you are not locked in, the benefit of which is that you will not later be locked out.

Oh, and it's free.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »

It depends which instruments you want to control and what you want to achieve.
For logging only I can recommends Python as general purpose.
Labview is good for fast application development.
For Agilent instruments with support in BenchVue, I will vote for compute stick and using BV capabilities.
Also check the CommandExpert and use it with Excel.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2016, 09:46:17 am »
Thanks guys for all the good input.

I already have got to the point that I have Keysight Connection Expert running and seeing all my instruments and power supplies, I think I'll dip into Excel next and then download and teach myself Python.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2016, 09:56:20 am »
I already have got to the point that I have Keysight Connection Expert running and seeing all my instruments and power supplies, I think I'll dip into Excel next and then download and teach myself Python.
That is pretty much how I see it at the moment.
My I/O library, Connection expert and BenchVue works really well together.

I tried a few times to add the Keithley VISA as a secondary but the conflicts are so big that either one will not work.
So, I will probably have an old laptop run the Keithley VISA completely separately to keep it divided.

Controlling the Keysight instruments out of Excel also works well.
Next is to learn Python, but I have to learn that from scratch. May be it is easier than I think?

In addition, I got a ProLogix GPIB adapter and the Software from RF Scientific.
This works well, even when the I/O Libraries are installed with primary VISA pointing to Keysight.
For data logging, the RF Scientific software works very well.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2016, 10:33:13 am »
Thanks guys for all the good input.

I will keep the NI GPIB adapter, it is the best USB/GPIB adapter on market I suppose. On ebay are lot of fakes which push the price.

There are lot of examples on TiN website
check
https://xdevs.com/guide/ni_gpib_rpi/
https://xdevs.com/article/hp3458a_gpib/
and others.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2016, 12:41:29 pm »
I know the new ones are very pricey, but price != quality or utility.

I am thinking of getting a Prologix, and wondered if there was any reason to choose the Agilent or NI model instead???
Yes,
The Agilent 82357B (or the fakes, or the non-fake compatible clones) will all communicate seamlessly with all professional software that interfaces to a GPIB bus. The Prologix will not. It does not implement a GPIB32.dll which is the de facto standard way for software to access a GPIB interface. Instead, software needs to talk to it directly over a serial port and must know its particular proprietary command language. Alternately, you can write all the low level code into your (e.g.) LabVIEW project yourself, but then it is tied to the Prologix adapter. Normally LabVIEW or other software will be able to talk to any "real" GPIB adapter without modification, no matter manufacturer (Agilent, NI, etc.) or method of connection (PCI, USB, Ethernet, etc.).

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2016, 06:16:09 am »
Does anybody in this thread successfully using 82357B clone from ebay under Linux?
In case yes, can you post your gpib.conf and firmware which you uploading and serial number of module?
In windows this adapter is working, but under linux-gpib everything including uploading firmware seems to be OK, but it is not possible to connect to instruments.
Thanks

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2017, 06:59:00 pm »
For what it's worth, this one seems to be the real thing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181921320882

Shipping was kinda slow, but it arrived in good condition, it works under linux (once you do that stupid thing where you have to load the firmware TWICE), and I broke the seal and took the screw out and the insides look legit too.  The QFP IC has Agilent markings on it, nothing looks bad about the assembly.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2017, 07:03:36 pm »

Shipping was kinda slow, but it arrived in good condition, it works under linux (once you do that stupid thing where you have to load the firmware TWICE), and I broke the seal and took the screw out and the insides look legit too.  The QFP IC has Agilent markings on it, nothing looks bad about the assembly.

I'd say the odds of that being a real Agilent are about 0.0001%
Post some pictures.
VE7FM

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »

Well the picture on the eBay has a different serial then the fake one I bought. So either the changed the label because people are catching onto the scam or it might be real?
I would give it higher then 0.00001% since companies are moving away from the 34401A now since it's no longer supported. But still a lot of fake on eBay that look exactly like these pictures.
Does your serial number end in 0491?

Be sure to look at this video also for how a real one is packaged when it's new.
https://youtu.be/NWHg_20cr7A
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »

I'd say the odds of that being a real Agilent are about 0.0001%
Post some pictures.

This was sold as used, not new, so it's somewhat more plausable to me, but...
On closer inspection, and a look at some of the stuff up-thread I think you might be right.  But it sure is a good copy.  It's hard to say whether or not some of the differences from the genuine posted up-thread are possibly just Agilent revisions or not.  I'm a bit suspicious that mine doesn't have the EMI-coating on the inside of the plastic (not pictured), and it doesn't have the labels on the ICs.  The finish on the QFP seems possibly a bit different than it should be (blacktopping?) though that may be hard to discern in my crappy phone pictures.  Oh well, still a good deal for the functionality I got for $80.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »

Well the picture on the eBay has a different serial then the fake one I bought. So either the changed the label because people are catching onto the scam or it might be real?
I would give it higher then 0.00001% since companies are moving away from the 34401A now since it's no longer supported. But still a lot of fake on eBay that look exactly like these pictures.
Does your serial number end in 0491?

Be sure to look at this video also for how a real one is packaged when it's new.
https://youtu.be/NWHg_20cr7A

Yeah, I didn't make a note of the serial number before breaking the seal, cannot read it now :)
Also, this one was sold as used, the other packaging was not present.  It's certainly possible it is a counterfeit from a few years back, which has seen some industrial use in China, and now being sold off by other parties :)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2017, 08:13:22 pm »
No EMI coating instantly confirms it is a fake/clone - doesn't mean it won't work for you though. Buying one out of china and getting a real one has got to be extremely rare.

I think they sell them as used so if you find any issues they can just say it is because they aren't new.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:17:23 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2017, 09:40:01 pm »
I think they sell them as used so if you find any issues they can just say it is because they aren't new.
Yes, they started doing that because of eBay's policy. Besides the parts you already mentioned the  isolation crystal component on Y1 is always the full lean that, the fake ones went with a cheaper smaller one.
The two inductors near the USB plug with three dots is a fake common part as well.
And it's missing the USB cabbie metal clip that prevents the cable from coming loose.
Also if you rub the label over the screw you may find the ink smears.

Their a few other I could point out, but hey. It was affordable, you said it works for your needs. So use it till it does or starts giving you problems. Some have had these last for over a year depending on usage.
You may run into problems with daisy chaining multiple units, but if your using it for one device or a few it should be fine.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:26 am »

This was sold as used, not new, so it's somewhat more plausable to me, but...
On closer inspection, and a look at some of the stuff up-thread I think you might be right.  But it sure is a good copy.  It's hard to say whether or not some of the differences from the genuine posted up-thread are possibly just Agilent revisions or not.  I'm a bit suspicious that mine doesn't have the EMI-coating on the inside of the plastic (not pictured), and it doesn't have the labels on the ICs.  The finish on the QFP seems possibly a bit different than it should be (blacktopping?) though that may be hard to discern in my crappy phone pictures.  Oh well, still a good deal for the functionality I got for $80.

It is fake/counterfeit, just like the one I bought a while ago. On the PCB, the word "Agilent" is not using the genuine Agilent font.

I was fully reimbursed and I did not return the counterfeit item. When I pointed to the Chinese seller that it was against eBay policies to sell counterfeit item and that there was no requirement to return the counterfeit item, the seller reimbursed me within minutes.

:)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:34:42 am by SkyMaster »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2017, 01:28:14 am »
In some countries (IIRC the US) it is illegal to put counterfeit items in the mail so legally you can't send it back if you are under such laws.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2017, 02:30:24 am »
In some countries (IIRC the US) it is illegal to put counterfeit items in the mail so legally you can't send it back if you are under such laws.
Hmm, I was not aware of that law. I need to look into this. So asking for a credit from Amazon three times, and three times they wanted m to send the fake item back and I should have kept it, interesting.
On the other hand  that might mean I broke the law by sending it back also.

Little off topic, sort of.
I have a Bluetooth speaker that started to act up. I figured a blow cap from the symptoms and was surprised to see a blow swelled LiPo pack. The manufacturer wants me to send it to them for a replacement, lol. It's hard enough to ship batteries, but you want me to send this knowing it has a welled damaged battery in the mail under my name. Um nope. Try again.
So we are disputing the warranty terms and how they don't follow the law making the warranty illegal.
Scott

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:29 pm »
Hmm, I was not aware of that law. I need to look into this. So asking for a credit from Amazon three times, and three times they wanted m to send the fake item back and I should have kept it, interesting.
On the other hand  that might mean I broke the law by sending it back also.

IANAL, so consult your attorney, as needed. My understanding of 18 U.S.C. ยง1341 is that there must be (1) intent, (2) a scheme or thing, and (3) use of the mail. Returning a fraudulent item by mail only meets requirements #2 and #3. There's no intent to defraud (requirement #1) since all parties involved in the return of the thing already know what it is.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:30 am »
i'm wondering if these are legit manufacture boards which failed QC and were intercepted/dumpster dived by someone, to be sold as these counterfeits?

anyone have pictures of a legit 82357B to compare to the counterfeit?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #298 on: March 17, 2017, 09:44:54 am »
i'm wondering if these are legit manufacture boards which failed QC and were intercepted/dumpster dived by someone, to be sold as these counterfeits?

anyone have pictures of a legit 82357B to compare to the counterfeit?
Start with this post, and then look at the follow 4 posts.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flood-of-new-agilent-82357b-gpib-usb-adaptors-on-ebay-the-real-deal/msg744004/#msg744004

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
« Reply #299 on: April 06, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »
I must confess that I have fallen into the purchase of a counterfeit unit...

I just received it and although I know it is not original it is well finished and seems to work without problem with a single connection. The price is right, 70 euros, ten times less than the original value.

So I finally cannot afford to buy an original unit for lack of funds.
I hope it continue working..

Manuel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf