Author Topic: 4-20mAmp supply for testing  (Read 2382 times)

Offline jwhitmoreTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Software head strays into the Hardware.
4-20mAmp supply for testing
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:59 pm »
I'm currently working on a 4-20mAmp sensor system, so to test this I wondered if I could get a piece of kit that would emit a 4-20mAmp signal, maybe in a standard wave form like a sine wave or something, but with very long period. I'm taking a sample every one or two minutes so given that sampling rate some formula, can't remember which, would dictate the frequency of the signal that I'd recognise as what I was expecting.

Maybe given that really low frequency the easiest thing to do would be to rig up a circuit to a micro controller that could output a current. Seem to remember an early eev blog video on creating a current sensor. Not exactly calibrated but maybe?

I'm embedded SW so have limited experience of test gear, (can just about use a scope ;-) so maybe a basic signal generator can do this. My only issue might be that I'm going to leave the unit on for a soak test of weeks duration.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: 4-20mAmp supply for testing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »
I'm currently working on a 4-20mAmp sensor system, so to test this I wondered if I could get a piece of kit that would emit a 4-20mAmp signal, maybe in a standard wave form like a sine wave or something, but with very long period. I'm taking a sample every one or two minutes so given that sampling rate some formula, can't remember which, would dictate the frequency of the signal that I'd recognise as what I was expecting.

Maybe given that really low frequency the easiest thing to do would be to rig up a circuit to a micro controller that could output a current. Seem to remember an early eev blog video on creating a current sensor. Not exactly calibrated but maybe?

I'm embedded SW so have limited experience of test gear, (can just about use a scope ;-) so maybe a basic signal generator can do this. My only issue might be that I'm going to leave the unit on for a soak test of weeks duration.

a 4-20mA input is usually just a resistor to ground so the the input current generates a voltage suited for ADC, for example 150R for 0-3.3V with 0-22mA

so a signal generator between the input and ground would most likely work, just remember to take the output impedance of the generator
into account 

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:36 pm »
Something like this this is what alot of hvac techs use.

http://www.kele.com/tools-and-test-equipment/signal-generators.aspx

A current limited power supply or a lm317 setup in current control would get the job done for alot less.

Offline jwhitmoreTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Software head strays into the Hardware.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:08:08 am »
Thanks a million for the info, I'm tempted to build something based on the lm317 but I'll have to think about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf