Author Topic: First oscilloscope  (Read 16491 times)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: First oscilloscope
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2016, 07:25:56 am »
I still don't believe a word the OP says. He says no more than $200, then says no budget. In another thread he says he wants a Gossen or a Fluke. He only wants to spend $200 on an oscilloscope but can buy a DS1054Z, two Gossens and an LCR meter. This is either a troll or a "tire kicker" waste of time.

I can buy what I want, with no budget, if i want I can buy equipment for 100k but, is a waste of mone, I have the money, bit I don' t want to waste my money
And you are somewhat unusual in that respect, most have very limited funds and are satisfied with equipment that's only "good enough" for their needs and that's OK too.

I don' t want to open a new post, for me (beginner) what power supply i should to buy? I have cecked elv

I'm not sure if Gossen makes power supplies

Offline NiaDebesisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2016, 08:19:41 am »
I still don't believe a word the OP says. He says no more than $200, then says no budget. In another thread he says he wants a Gossen or a Fluke. He only wants to spend $200 on an oscilloscope but can buy a DS1054Z, two Gossens and an LCR meter. This is either a troll or a "tire kicker" waste of time.

I can buy what I want, with no budget, if i want I can buy equipment for 100k but, is a waste of mone, I have the money, bit I don' t want to waste my money
And you are somewhat unusual in that respect, most have very limited funds and are satisfied with equipment that's only "good enough" for their needs and that's OK too.

I don' t want to open a new post, for me (beginner) what power supply i should to buy? I have cecked elv
Elv ?

How many outputs do you want/need ?
I didn't think these would be popular in my market but I've sold a couple of SPD3303X-E's lately to very satisfied customers.
http://www.siglenteu.com/pdxx.aspx?id=1116&T=2&tid=17

Don't know if that's what you're looking for or is even within your budget.  ;)

No Budget, but i want something to learn ^^
2 is even more ^^

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:31 am »
...Ok think what you want, but repeat...
I  dont  have  problems  with  budget
I only think at long term
Buying test equipment is like buying anything nowadays: it will be outdated in a couple of years. I buy a different oscilloscope every few years (so far mostly used ones). The same goes for other test equipment. When I have a need for a certain piece of equipment I buy it. When I no longer need a piece of equipment (upgraded or not used for a long time) I sell it again. My point is: focus on what kind of projects are on your workbench right now and figure out how much you want to spend to get those projects finished (quicker). Also realise that test equipment depreciates faster than a car so you'll never get back what you have spend.

Better tools will help to do a job quicker but the value for money decreases exponentially. If you have no hammer then any cheap crap hammer will be a major improvement. If you already have a hammer, a hammer with a more ergonomic grip (less strain on your hand) might allow you to put in 20% more nails on a day so there is a benefit but less than going from no hammer to having one cheap crap hammer.
Oscilloscopes have gone through a bit of a revolution in the past decade of so.. but I don't think whatever you buy today will be outdated in just a couple of years. Will scopes continue to get better and cheaper over time? most likely, you will also have better capabilities. But I think any decent scope you buy today will probably be fine for quite a bit longer than a couple of years. I don't plan on upgrading my scopes any time soon for instance.

Multimeters can usually last you decades as well. Heck in a pinch I could still get away with using my old 8020 Fluke for most stuff, and that design is 40 years old, 20 year old Fluke 87s are still pretty capable DMMs.

Not to mention all the other usual lab gear, like power supplies, DC loads, sig gens, SAs etc.

It really depends on your use case at the end of the day. If you're working on stuff that requires pushing the envelope in terms of measurement capability, or if you really could use some new features. But most of us don't. For your general electronics lab.. the gear you invest in today.. will last you quite a while, provided you invest well and the gear doesn't fail in a way which makes it unrepairable.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2016, 09:34:22 am »

Elv ?

I didn't think these would be popular in my market but I've sold a couple of SPD3303X-E's lately to very satisfied customers.

I was thinkig about Elv 5330 because it look pretty good

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2016, 09:41:47 am »

Elv ?

I was thinkig about Elv 5330 because it look pretty good
Ah, I see now.  :)
It's mentioned here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/please-advise-on-cheap-and-good-variable-power-supply/msg138446/#msg138446
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2016, 09:52:36 am »
As my first power supply is good? Or you have something of more good at 200 or something like that? (I don' y want to spend too much for my first power supply)

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
Waiting a long time I was able to score a local TTi PL330TP (triple) power supply for about 160$. Looked for local as I didn't want the cost of delivery (Linear Power Supplies are heavy). Use eBay advanced to limit the results to Italy and you'll find a whole host of power supplies.

Seller wanted 400$. Talked him down to $160 or so. it is not unusual on these forums.

If you are planning to prod distribution panels get a CAT III or CAT IV rated DMM. If you plan to prod the same with scope you have to be careful. Either a CAT rated floating isolated Scopemeter or use differential probes (expensive).

In any case, I wouldn't use an analog scope for "learning". These are going the way of the dodo. Loved them in the 80's but in the 90's the writing was on the wall (the digital scopes were still horrible back then). Why bother learning what Alt & chop are???

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2016, 05:31:32 pm »
I prefer analogue, i can get better with less money
Is my first scope

How do you know that if you don't yet know what a scope does or how to use it? More Mhz is not necessarily better if that is what you mean. Even low-end entry level digital scopes have features that analog scopes simply do not have and cannot have. Whatever you get for <$200 you are going to outgrow fairly quickly.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2016, 05:40:31 pm »
I prefer analogue, i can get better with less money
Is my first scope

How do you know that if you don't yet know what a scope does or how to use it? More Mhz is not necessarily better if that is what you mean. Even low-end entry level digital scopes have features that analog scopes simply do not have and cannot have. Whatever you get for <$200 you are going to outgrow fairly quickly.

And ... imagine the old scope stopped working after few days of used.  :-DD

In order to fix a scope, usually you need "ANOTHER" scope .. and of course the skill, and that also does not guarantee it can be fixed.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »

I tend to like lightweight power supplies which aren't too big and don't make noise. Ebay has many used ones from Agilent/Keysight. I'm considering getting a small dual output power supply myself so I have given this question some thought lately. My mostly used power supply is a Voltcraft PS-1302 (30V 2A) but all my other power supplies (ranging from 45W to 2kW) are from HP/Agilent. I'm thinking about a PSU with 2x25V 1A for powering small projects.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:01 pm »
The Array 3644A is better than the elv ppm 5330 ?

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2016, 09:20:46 pm »
A juicy transformer, few diodes, an LM317, a pot, and large capacitor...    and Bob's your uncle...    :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2016, 09:29:23 pm »
A juicy transformer, few diodes, an LM317, a pot, and large capacitor...    and Bob's your uncle...    :)

I prefer to buy something like (professional for the begginers)

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 09:31:46 pm »

I prefer to buy something like (professional for the begginers)

What better way to learn electronics...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 09:42:30 pm »
I have already done a power supply ^^ but i need something of..better XD is a piece of **** too instable, and is not worth to fix it

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »

I have the money to tanke what I want a fluke oscilloscope? 1, 2,3, 4 ok, doesen' t care, i can buy what I want, BUT I DON'T  TO WASTE MY MONEY

I know I know is difficult to understand
Fort the 10 time I ll repeat
I saw 200 NOT for my money but because i Tgought the best choice for a begginner was to rake some old analogue oscilloscope, but some guys here have tell me a oscilloscope will be necessary, tou have understand?

Used analog scopes will have much higher bandwidth for the same cost as a new DSO.  That's true!  But, that's used analog vs new DSO!
I bought a used Tektronix 485 350 MHz scope for $200 about 12 years ago and it has served me well.  I will keep it forever!

But I recently bought a DS1054Z for the features.  My old scope was dual channel and I wanted 4 channels for looking at SPI.  My new scope has decoding for various serial protocols and it has single shot mode.  It also has a lot of arithmetic functions, measurement capability and numerous trigger functions that my old scope could never have.  There is no comparison on features.  Yes, the 485 has higher bandwidth and the DS1054Z only has 100 MHz (after unlocking) but that is a tradeoff I can live with.  When I need the higher bandwidth, I probably don't need the features.  And the other way around, I usually run SPI in the 10 MHz range and 100 MHz is plenty of bandwidth for my microcontroller and FPGA projects.

I certainly didn't NEED a new scope but I'm real glad I bought it.  I have a lot to learn re: DSOs but, in the meantime, it isn't significantly different, in concept, that any other scope.  It just does a LOT more!

I also have multimeters, several in fact, including a Fluke 189 which is a very nice meter.  I don't have a bench meter and my latest DMM is the EEVBlog branded Brymem BM235.  That Brymem is a pretty nice meter.  There are others in the $100 range that I would consider.  The Fluke is excellent but it is very pricey and I'm not really sure it is that much better for the extra $300.  Maybe I just bought it as my first truly decent DMM and didn't care about the price.  I'm not sure I would buy it today.  I might buy 3 of the BM235s and call it good.

There are dozens of good scopes and I only own two so I can't say anything about the others.  If I were rich, I would be buying Keysight something or other.  Certainly something in the 500 MHz 4 channel range.  Alas, I'm not!  The DS1054Z will get  me by quite nicely.

If budget is a limiting factor and the $400 cost of the DS1054Z is an issue, an analog scope is still a viable solution.  The problem is, how do you know you didn't just order a box of rocks?  Even if you get a scope, what if it doesn't work?  Knobs missing, switches dirty, etc.  Can you fix it?  You take a huge risk when buying something off of eBay.

Anyway, it's your choice and there are certainly a number of candidate scopes.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:48:12 pm by rstofer »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »

I have the money to tanke what I want a fluke oscilloscope? 1, 2,3, 4 ok, doesen' t care, i can buy what I want, BUT I DON'T  TO WASTE MY MONEY

I know I know is difficult to understand
Fort the 10 time I ll repeat
I saw 200 NOT for my money but because i Tgought the best choice for a begginner was to rake some old analogue oscilloscope, but some guys here have tell me a oscilloscope will be necessary, tou have understand?

Used analog scopes will have much higher bandwidth for the same cost as a new DSO.  That's true!  But, that's used analog vs new DSO!
I bought a used Tektronix 485 350 MHz scope for $200 about 12 years ago and it has served me well.  I will keep it forever!

But I recently bought a DS1054Z for the features.  My old scope was dual channel and I wanted 4 channels for looking at SPI.  My new scope has decoding for various serial protocols and it has single shot mode.  It also has a lot of arithmetic functions, measurement capability and numerous trigger functions that my old scope could never have.  There is no comparison on features.  Yes, the 485 has higher bandwidth and the DS1054Z only has 100 MHz (after unlocking) but that is a tradeoff I can live with.  When I need the higher bandwidth, I probably don't need the features.  And the other way around, I usually run SPI in the 10 MHz range and 100 MHz is plenty of bandwidth for my microcontroller and FPGA projects.

I certainly didn't NEED a new scope but I'm real glad I bought it.  I have a lot to learn re: DSOs but, in the meantime, it isn't significantly different, in concept, that any other scope.  It just does a LOT more!

I also have multimeters, several in fact, including a Fluke 189 which is a very nice meter.  I don't have a bench meter and my latest DMM is the EEVBlog branded Brymem BM235.  That Brymem is a pretty nice meter.  There are others in the $100 range that I would consider.  The Fluke is excellent but it is very pricey and I'm not really sure it is that much better for the extra $300.  Maybe I just bought it as my first truly decent DMM and didn't care about the price.  I'm not sure I would buy it today.  I might buy 3 of the BM235s and call it good.

There are dozens of good scopes and I only own two so I can't say anything about the others.  If I were rich, I would be buying Keysight something or other.  Certainly something in the 500 MHz 4 channel range.  Alas, I'm not!  The DS1054Z will get  me by quite nicely.

If budget is a limiting factor and the $400 cost of the DS1054Z is an issue, an analog scope is still a viable solution.  The problem is, how do you know you didn't just order a box of rocks?  Even if you get a scope, what if it doesn't work.  Knobs missing, switches dirty, etc.  Can you fix it?  You take a huge risk when buying something off of eBay.

Anyway, it's your choice and there are certainly a number of candidate scopes.

Nono I have already ordered the Rigol Z ^^ and probably a friend will give me an analogue fluke or tektronix oscilloscope

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »
You take a huge risk when buying something off of eBay.
There is always buyer protection which works well if an item is not as described but the older the equipment is the bigger the chance of something being wrong. The trick is to buy something which is easy to fix but looks like a wreck.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2016, 09:55:59 pm »
You take a huge risk when buying something off of eBay.
There is always buyer protection which works well if an item is not as described but the older the equipment is the bigger the chance of something being wrong. The trick is to buy something which is easy to fix but looks like a wreck.

Ill buy a very hold fluke multimeter in one of those days, I think he have only the broked trasformer

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2016, 10:16:35 pm »
Really, NiaDebesis seems to be playing games and you guys seem to be falling for it.

He started this thread by saying:
But if this isn' t good my budget is of 200$

then
If I want I can take a 800$ scope but...usless for now

then
I can take the Gossen and the Rigol  Z witch a lcr multimeter and another gossen or a bench multimeter, i haven't problem witch budget

I said:
OK, if you are to be believed:

Buy a DS1054Z and hack it
Buy 2 BM257S (or BM869S) from www.tme.eu
Buy a DER EE DE-5000

and he replied:
I say is a waste of money ^^
Have problems to understand this?
I say I CAN not I GOING TO BUY

then:
Ill buy the rigol Z
The lcr tester
And the gossen and another multimeter

2 is even more ^^

As my first power supply is good? Or you have something of more good at 200 or something like that? (I don' y want to spend too much for my first power supply)

Nono I have already ordered the Rigol Z ^^ and probably a friend will give me an analogue fluke or tektronix oscilloscope

When it was suggested in his other thread on multimeters that he should buy a Gossen and a Fluke:
Ehhh too far from my budget xD
I am buying the equipment for my lab and I need for now only one multimeter (in future I ll buy the second one) my budget is 500

What does it take to see this guy is either just tire kicking or trolling?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2016, 10:34:31 pm »
Really, NiaDebesis seems to be playing games and you guys seem to be falling for it.

He started this thread by saying:
But if this isn' t good my budget is of 200$

then
If I want I can take a 800$ scope but...usless for now

then
I can take the Gossen and the Rigol  Z witch a lcr multimeter and another gossen or a bench multimeter, i haven't problem witch budget

I said:
OK, if you are to be believed:

Buy a DS1054Z and hack it
Buy 2 BM257S (or BM869S) from www.tme.eu
Buy a DER EE DE-5000

and he replied:
I say is a waste of money ^^
Have problems to understand this?
I say I CAN not I GOING TO BUY

then:
Ill buy the rigol Z
The lcr tester
And the gossen and another multimeter

2 is even more ^^

When it was suggested in his other thread on multimeters that he should buy a Gossen and a Fluke:
Ehhh too far from my budget xD
I am buying the equipment for my lab and I need for now only one multimeter (in future I ll buy the second one) my budget is 500

What does it take to see this guy is either just tire kicking or trolling?

Hm yeah, you have some problems, nothing more, if you don't understand I don't care, read all, don't post these segments

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »
And with these tire kick...please shut up, today i have ordered the Rigol, the Gossen, the Der ee 5000 and a power supply from elv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:48 pm »
All the time he repost with
Tire kicker
Tire kicker
Tire kicker
Do other things ^^

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2016, 10:49:42 pm »
Take a deep breath - all is well. Congrats getting to a decision that you are comfortable with. You will have some fun now.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:44 pm »
Take a deep breath - all is well. Congrats getting to a decision that you are comfortable with. You will have some fun now.

Yea but all the time Tire kicker...hm dunno because he doesen't understand, wait 2 week or less and i post all ^^ (now i am crafting the bench)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf