Author Topic: First oscilloscope  (Read 16509 times)

Offline NiaDebesisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
First oscilloscope
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:20:32 pm »
I never use a oscilloscope, but i am buying the equipment for my lab, i have found this Philips PM 3267 100mHz 2 channel, it semms to be good for 100$ dollar

I ll work witch stereo amolifiers, arduino, micro contr, and other circuits

But if this isn' t good my budget is of 200$

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: First oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:13 pm »
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:32:38 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigol-DS1052E-50-MHz-Digital-Oscilloscope-Osciloscopio-/252602448006?hash=item3ad0477886:g:lfQAAOSwx2dYDiBO

This may be a more flexible and modern choice as a first scope.

I prefer analogue, i can get better with less money
Is my first scope

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:42:49 pm »
No good. Get a Rigol 1052

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »

An other choice? Only this at this price?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:52 pm »

TEKTRONIX 2225  this?

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:09 pm »
I had a Rigol 100 MHz and I hated that piece of shit so much I gave it away within a year. I have a PM3265 here for repair from a friend, he has a Rigol to but preferes this Philips. And I must say it is indeed a very nice scope. But many people love the Rigol

I'm not pro analog or pro digital. I have several analog scopes. I need a scope for my work (repairing measurement and calibration gear) and my main scope is a 350 MHz HMO from Hameg.  But I always have an analog scope powered on too. Most times a Hameg 1004-2 or a Tek 7603, sometimes a Tek 7704 and for special things a Tek 547 (I have 15 plugins for that)

A DSO has several advantages for me because it can do things an analog scope can not do but in other cases I prefere the analog scope.  But I can not say what will be best for you. You have to find out your self. The Philips is a nice scope but old, sooner or later it will need some repair, but on the other hand, it probably outlasts a Rigol.

Just buy it, use it , learn working with a scope and maybe buy a DSO too after some time if you want and know more about scopes.

A tek 2225 is also a nice scope to work with.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:04:13 pm »
For 100€, I would try to get a Combiscope from Philips: PM33XX-Series. They have both analog and digital modes and are really easy to work with and compared to other brands rather cheap despite their capabilities. I guess because Philips is not too well known as a brand for Test Equipment.

The DS1054Z is very nice if you want to go modern digital scope, but also expensive. Its predecessor, the DS1052, has a too small screen for my taste.

From my personal experience, the DS1054Z is a good scope if you want to debug Power-Supply stuff, whereas the older Philips ones, I have a PM3320A, is better when looking at basically everything else. The interface is much more ergonomical.
Only if I need to see some additional detail that requires long recording-times at high sample-rates (the PM3320A has only 2048 Sample-Points), I use the Rigol Scope after determining the basic shape and characteristics of the signal with the Philips Scope. :)

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:45:20 pm »

I am buying the equipment for my lab and I need for now only one multimeter (in future I ll buy the second one) my budget is 500

Fluke 87V 450 500€

Gossen Metrawatt Metrahit Tech 450 500

Instead of oscilloscope for $200 and multimeter for €500, consider Brymen BM869S for €200.14 and Rigol DS1054Z for €339 + tax, shipping, etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:48:44 pm by omgfire »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:29 pm »
Yes, I find it a bit out of balance to spend less than one third of a budget on an oscilloscope rather than on the multimeter. This is not logical.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 10:54:03 pm »
Yes, I find it a bit out of balance to spend less than one third of a budget on an oscilloscope rather than on the multimeter. This is not logical.

I have never used a oscilloscope, this is something..like a test to learn how to use one of those, when i have learned more less what i need I ll buy a good scope

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

I am buying the equipment for my lab and I need for now only one multimeter (in future I ll buy the second one) my budget is 500

Fluke 87V 450 500€

Gossen Metrawatt Metrahit Tech 450 500

Instead of oscilloscope for $200 and multimeter for €500, consider Brymen BM869S for €200.14 and Rigol DS1054Z for €339 + tax, shipping, etc.

They gotta get that 0.14€ in there, don't they?  LOL
Off topic, but god I hate that. Just price things at round numbers. Fu**ing retailers!  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:57:05 pm »

I have never used a oscilloscope, this is something..like a test to learn how to use one of those, when i have learned more less what i need I ll buy a good scope

If I want I can take a 800$ scope but...usless for now

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:38 pm »
Ask almost anyone here, $1000 multimeter and old analog scope or two $150 multimeters and a DS1054Z. I know that the answer will be.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:05:22 pm »
Ask almost anyone here, $1000 multimeter and old analog scope or two $150 multimeters and3
 a DS1054Z. I know that the answer will be.

I need of that tester, somethimes i go to cech distribution panel and other thing like this...AND also usefull for my laboratory...i can take the rigol Z but is usless for me

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 11:05:57 pm »
No it's not logical.
DMM's are for measurements, DSO's are your eyes, but as yet the OP is blind to that.  :(

I'd happily do without a DMM but not a scope and if I had to have both, a $50 DMM would be more than enough, $150 tops.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »

I need to have a good DMM and for now i don' t need of an oscilloscope, I wanto buy one to learn how to use it, because I don' t know.. but no one understand me lol
No it's not logical.
DMM's are for measurements, DSO's are your eyes, but as yet the OP is blind to that.  :(

I'd happily do without a DMM but not a scope and if I had to have both, a $50 DMM would be more than enough, $150 tops.

I don' t need of an oscilloscope for now..but a dmm is wat I need KNOW, i want to take a oscilloscope only to learn how to use, and for the fist uses, I don' t need of an expensive oscilloscope
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:11:23 pm by NiaDebesis »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:03 pm »
So you need a tester but in the other thread you ask if you should get a bench meter instead  :scared:

For checking a distribution panel, get a Fluke 101, and get another mid priced meter for other electronics work. Then you have money for a DS1054Z and a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter. We are trying to help you but you are all over the map with ideas. People with experience are telling you things and you seem to be wanting us to just confirm your naive ideas.

You also said in your other thread than you won't buy things that are used, but in this thread?

I am beginning to suspect you are a troll.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:06 pm »
Ask almost anyone here, $1000 multimeter and old analog scope or two $150 multimeters and a DS1054Z. I know that the answer will be.
$1000 you can get two $150 DMM, a DS1054, and money left over to get an analog scope that comes in very handy sometimes, and a soldering station. :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 11:14:41 pm »
So you need a tester but in the other thread you ask if you should get a bench meter instead  :scared:

For checking a distribution panel, get a Fluke 101, and get another mid priced meter for other electronics work. Then you have money for a DS1054Z and a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter. We are trying to help you but you are all over the map with ideas. People with experience are telling you things and you seem to be wanting us to just confirm your naive ideas.

You also said in your other thread than you won't buy things that are used, but in this thread?

I am beginning to suspect you are a troll.

I need to be simple because i don' t speek a very well english and i don' t undersatnd very well too..
I don' t buy used thing from OTHER country and if i can' t check witch my eyes, for the multimeters, i have a little bit confised, I want to get a dmm to ceck panel and a bench multimeter to use only in my laboratory (with the portable)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 11:16:37 pm »
$1000 you can get two $150 DMM, a DS1054, and money left over to get an analog scope that comes in very handy sometimes, and a soldering station. :-+

I have a weller desolder and solder stations ^^

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 11:20:01 pm »
Then read each thread again and see that you are trying to spend your money on the wrong things. A DS1054Z will be far more useful than a high end bench meter to you. Read the advice again but spend your money any way you want.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 11:23:54 pm »
Then read each thread again and see that you are trying to spend your money on the wrong things. A DS1054Z will be far more useful than a high end bench meter to you. Read the advice again but spend your money any way you want.

I can take the Gossen and the Rigol  Z witch a lcr multimeter and another gossen or a bench multimeter, i haven't problem witch budget

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:40 pm »
OK, now I really think you are a troll.  :horse:

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 11:27:34 pm »
OK, now I really think you are a troll.  :horse:

Perhaps just misunderstanding because of language barrier???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf