Author Topic: ethrent connection to hp 1670e logic analyzer  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ethrent connection to hp 1670e logic analyzer
« on: March 02, 2019, 09:54:30 pm »
I want to load an inverse assembler on my hp 1670e. Don't currently have a GPIB connection. Also, I don't have an external floppy for my laptop. That leaves the Ethernet connection.

I'm on windowss 10. Googling has been unhelpful. I don't even know where to start! I have the analyzer, my pc, and an ethernet cable.

I figure I need to open a tc/ip connection of some sort.

Help!!!

Offline cruff

• Regular Contributor
Re: ethrent connection to hp 1670e logic analyzer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 10:10:09 pm »
Possibly acquire an Ethernet to GPIB or USB to GPIB adapter?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:19:26 pm »
I have a UGSimple gpib to USB. Turns out it doesn't support file transfers. I did order a USB floppy drive, but for the moment, I want to attempt Ethernet. Won't have the drive 'till Monday.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:24:16 pm »
You can setup TCP/IP address on the analyzer and use FTP to transfer the files to the analyzer hard disk.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:42:34 pm »
I'm clueless on network stuff. I'll google what you just suggested, but any help is appreciated. I've found googling anything network related is the road to being overwhelmed if you don't know exactly what to ask.

I'm currently trying to set up X window, but maybe that's a bad way?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 11:07:08 pm »
If you can setup a network with only the logic analyzer and your laptop or PC is better.  You will need an Ethernet Hub and 2 Ethernet cables.

I like to set 128.0.0.1 as my PC / laptop IP V4 address on the ethernet port, mask 255.255.0.0
You can set the logic analyzer IP address to 128.0.0.2, same mask 255.255.0.0

Then you can ping from the PC/laptop to test if the logic analyzer responds: ping 128.0.0.2

If ping works, then you can proceed to ftp files to 128.0.0.2

Here are the instructions: https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1687067&nid=-11143.0.00&id=1687067

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:46 pm »
can this not be done without the hub? I.E., direct connection from analyzer to pc?

I don't have a hub (unless an old  wireless router can act as one)

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 11:34:15 pm »
You can do it without a HUB, but you need a cross-over ethernet cable.  Or you can use an old wireless router with ethernet ports and use 2 standard ethernet cables.  You can just assign static IP addresses on the logic analyzer and PC/laptop or let the router assign dynamic addresses in the 128.0.x.x range with 255.255.0.0 netmask.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 01:04:37 am »
OK, makes sense.

I have a usb floppy drive coming, and some disks. I think I'm gonna try that route first, since digging out the old router I THINK I have could take longer.

What format is the analyzers drivedrive? I know its an MS-DOS compatible format from other threads on this forum. Do I format for NTFS? Is it as simple as just putting the compiled inverse assembler file on the disk, and loading it in the analyzer?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 01:12:12 am »
MSDOS is FAT, and generally not FAT32.  NTFS is a couple of filesystems too new  :)

I don't know the format myself, but I would start with regular FAT (FAT16) and give it a try first.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 02:27:23 am »
It should be trivial to connect the 1670E analyzer to your network. How is your PC connected to the net? I assume it is connected to a broadband router of some sort. Are all of the LAN ports on the router already in use? If so and you don't have a spare Ethernet switch, go buy a used 10/100 or gigabit switch for $10-15 on Craigslist and have the seller throw in a few Ethernet cables too so you can connect the PC and the analyzer together though the switch to your router.

To configure the 1670E, on the main System screen set the Controller / Connected To: Ethernet (instead of HPIB or RS-232C). That is not necessary for FTP data transfers, but is for FTP control transfers.

Then go the the System / Lan Settings screen. Set the Lan Port: to LAN TP (instead of LAN BNC). Then set the Analyzer IP Address: to a free address on your local network, and the Gateway IP Address: to the appropriate address for your network. Then go to the System / Lan Settings / Subnet Mask screen. You can either set the Subnet Mask: to the appropriate value for your local network, or if you set it to 0.0.0.0 it should automatically be configured to the correct value.

On a Windows PC you can use the ipconfig command to get the local network parameters for your PC to find the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway, and from its IPv4 Address make a good guess about an appropriate free address you can use for the analyzer. For example on my PC at the moment the router / default gateway is at 192.168.1.1, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and the router has assigned the address 192.168.1.103 to the PC. In this case the router has started assigning DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.100, and I picked 192.168.1.200 as a fixed free address for the analyzer. If you log in to the admin page of your broadband router you should be able to find a DHCP page which shows the dynamic range it is configured to use. Pick something outside of the dynamic range within the same subnet.

Code: [Select]
C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : blah blah blah
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : blah blah blah
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

System screen, set the Controller / Connected To: Ethernet

System / Lan Settings screen. Set the Lan Port: to LAN TP.  Set the Analyzer IP Address: and the Gateway IP Address: to values appropriate for your local network

System / Lan Settings / Subnet Mask screen. Set the Subnet Mask: to the appropriate value for your local network, or if you set it to 0.0.0.0 it should automatically be configured to the correct value

Using FTP from the PC to capture a screen image:

Code: [Select]
C:\HP-1670E>ftp 192.168.1.200
Connected to 192.168.1.200.
220  HP167XE V02.02 FUSION FTP server (Version 3.3) ready.
500 Command not understood.
User (192.168.1.200:(none)): data
230 User DATA logged in.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command ok.
150 Opening data connection for  (192.168.1.103,55607).
dr-xr-xr-x    2    1    1       766  status
dr-xr-xr-x    4    1    1       894  system
dr-xr-xr-x    3    1    1       766  slot_a
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 138 bytes received in 0.01Seconds 9.20Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd system
200 Remote Directory changed to "/system".
ftp> dir
200 PORT command ok.
150 Opening data connection for  (192.168.1.103,55608).
dr-xr-xr-x    4    1    1       638  disk
dr-xr-xr-x    2    1    1       894  graphics
-rw-rw-rw-    1    1    1         0  program
-rw-rw-rw-    1    1    1         1  setup.raw
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 187 bytes received in 0.03Seconds 6.03Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd graphics
200 Remote Directory changed to "/system/graphics".
ftp> dir
200 PORT command ok.
150 Opening data connection for  (192.168.1.103,55609).
-r--r--r--    1    1    1         1  screen.pcx
-r--r--r--    1    1    1         1  screenbw.tif
-r--r--r--    1    1    1         1  screen.tif
-r--r--r--    1    1    1         1  screenbw.epi
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 203 bytes received in 0.03Seconds 6.34Kbytes/sec.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to Image.
ftp> get screen.tif screen1.tif
200 PORT command ok.
150 Opening data connection for screen.tif (192.168.1.103,55611) (308934 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 308934 bytes received in 1.34Seconds 229.86Kbytes/sec.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:34:39 am by gslick »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 02:59:02 am »
right on. I think my failure has been thinking I could just attach a normal cable from the computer to the analyzer.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 03:40:01 am »
right on. I think my failure has been thinking I could just attach a normal cable from the computer to the analyzer.

Well that could work too, with a crossover patch cable instead of a straight through patch cable, as was already mentioned by others. If you don't have a crossover patch cable a decent computer store in your area should have some, or some place like Fry's if you have one of those near you.

I just tried this with my PC and 1670E. I had the network settings of both the PC and the 1670E exactly as before when they were both connected to a switch. I unplugged both from the switch and connected a crossover patch cable between the PC and the 1670E and the network connection between the two worked as it did when they were both connected to the switch. If you don't mind temporarily disconnecting your PC from the Internet, then using a crossover patch cable between the PC and 1670E might be your easiest solution.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 04:57:27 am »
OK, makes sense.

I have a usb floppy drive coming, and some disks. I think I'm gonna try that route first, since digging out the old router I THINK I have could take longer.

What format is the analyzers drivedrive? I know its an MS-DOS compatible format from other threads on this forum. Do I format for NTFS? Is it as simple as just putting the compiled inverse assembler file on the disk, and loading it in the analyzer?
External USB floppy will be MS-DOS format, 1.44MB.  You need to use a High Density (HD) disk.  Open a command or cmd window and format the floppy (format a:).  Copy the files to the A: drive.  Once on your logic analyzer, you need to copy them one by one (I did not find another way) by using the COPY command from the System -> Floppy menu.  You can first create a new directory on the Hard Drive of the logic analyzer, then CD to the directory (all by using the system menus) and then copy the files from the floppy to the new directory.  This way, you will have the IA files better organized.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 05:16:46 am »
I think I'm gonna go that route. Have a floppy drive and disks on the way. Strange how little removable storage we use these days! Wev'e come a long way from my days of loading software onto my TI 994/a via cassette tape!

This analyzer is great so far. I knew it was more advanced than the 1631d I was using before, but didn't realize how much. The triggering options alone are gonna be a godsend.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 07:34:35 am »
It is still very much worth the effort of getting a network connection set up to the analyzer for copying data off of the analyzer.

One thing I have typically done when analyzing the operation of a microprocessor system is to capture a state listing, then "print" the listing to a disk file on the hard disk. With a 1M deep sample capability of the 1670E it is easy to generate a listing file that is several MB in size on the hard disk. I often find it much easier to move a large listing file from the analyzer to a PC for further analysis instead of trying to view and scroll through the file on the analyzer. If the state depth of a listing file is more than around 16K to 32K states it can easily exceed the size of a 1.44MB floppy, in which case a floppy could not be used to transfer the listing file between the analyzer and a PC.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 09:15:10 pm »
OK, makes sense.

External USB floppy will be MS-DOS format, 1.44MB.  You need to use a High Density (HD) disk.  Open a command or cmd window and format the floppy (format a:).  Copy the files to the A: drive.  Once on your logic analyzer, you need to copy them one by one (I did not find another way) by using the COPY command from the System -> Floppy menu.  You can first create a new directory on the Hard Drive of the logic analyzer, then CD to the directory (all by using the system menus) and then copy the files from the floppy to the new directory.  This way, you will have the IA files better organized.

You can also format the floppies on the 1670E to make sure they are in a compatible format. Make sure you use the default DOS Format option instead of the LIF Format option.

You can copy all of the files from the floppy to the 1670E hard disk in one operation instead of one by one.  Move to the File: field, then press the Clear Entry button and then press the Don't Care button. That enters a * wildcard character in the File: field.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:17:34 pm by gslick »

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 10:36:12 pm »
Thanks for the wildcard tip... I was copying files one by one...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 03:06:38 am »
Ok, I have my analyzer hooked up  via ethernet cable to my router.

An IP scan utility does indeed find it.

other than that, I have no idea what to do. Googling has been useless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 03:32:21 am »
Ok. Progress. I am at an  FTP prompt in the command window. Found that Keysight link.

What I'm not clear on, is whether I need PUT or GET to grab a file from my PC.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 04:17:22 am »
Ok. Progress. I am at an  FTP prompt in the command window. Found that Keysight link.

What I'm not clear on, is whether I need PUT or GET to grab a file from my PC.

GET is from the FTP server on the 1670E to the FTP client on the PC
PUT is to the FTP server on the 1670E from the FTP client on the PC
You can use MGET and MPUT to transfer multiple files with a wildcard file specification. You will be prompted to confirm each file before it is transferred (which can be annoying).

You can log in as user DATA to transfer files. You need to log in as user CONTROL if you want to remotely control the 1670E by using PUT to transfer a PROGRAM file to the 1670E.

In almost all cases you want to use the BIN command before transferring any files. Otherwise the default is text mode where CR/LF <-> LF  (carriage return, line feed) translation occurs, which will corrupt binary files.

You can use either the DIR or LS commands to list the files in current directory, CD to change the current directory, and PWD to print the current directory path. You can use the LCD command to change the current directory on the local FTP client running on the PC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 04:25:23 am »
Ok, just before you posted, I realized there was a whole lot more to your previous posts. I'm IN!!! File transfer success!

My biggest hang up was not realizing that the hard disk is several directories deep. Once that hurdle made sense, I was good.

Thanks for the huge help. Seriously had no chance otherwise. After 3 days of bumping my head against the wall, it sure felt good to see my file successfully moved!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 05:12:00 am »
Ok, New hurdle.

I have all the files for a 6502 inverse assembler both on the analyzers hard disk, and on a floppy.

How do you load them?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 06:12:30 am »
Sorry for the shot gun of posts. I seem to have the inverse assembler running.

The only human readable files that came with the IA was a text file he said which bits certain status pins should be on, and the .S file. In another thread, it was implied that I needed to get my label names exactly correct. I can find no documentation telling what I should do. Is there some way to glean this from the .S file?

To be clear, it seems to be working, as I named my DATA bus DATA, figuring what else would you call it. Just wondering if naming the other busses correctly would add some functionality.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:51 am »
Do you have a link for the set of 6502 IA files you are trying to use? That is one set I am missing.

An IA will always need at least three labels: ADDR, DATA, and STAT.

ADDR is the address bus and DATA is the data bus. Those two should be obvious.

STAT is a set of status signals from the microprocessor. The particular status signals needed and their order in the STAT label is defined by the IA. Hopefully the descriptive text file and/or the IA .S source code file would make it clear what status signals are needed and what their order needs to be in the STAT label. Without having those files to look at myself I couldn't guess the correct configuration.

In addition to setting up the labels, you need the correct clock signals and clock specification for state analysis.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf