Author Topic: Fluke 45 error 8  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 45 error 8
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »
Fluke 45 errror 8?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:21:21 pm by Mp3 »
High school graduate

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 45 error 8
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »
Maybe a cold solder joint ?  socketed chip oxidation ? humidity ?     since it restarted, does it work normally ?  are the ranges and measurements seems to be ok ?

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:37:14 pm »
Definitely worth checking if it needs recapping as well.

I don't have a 45, but I do have an 8840A, which isn't a million miles away, design and era-wise.

Although I never had any issues re errors or bad measurements, the big reservoir cap for the 5V pre-reg was domed... no leaks though!
  :phew:

If you've a dying cap vomiting electrolyte, it could easily cause weirdness. There aren't many in these, so it's not a huge job to swap them out.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:02:05 pm »
Although I never had any issues re errors or bad measurements, the big reservoir cap for the 5V pre-reg was domed... no leaks though!

That's a "design feature" of those caps, a thin plastic dome on top of them that looks like the cap is swollen. It's actually just fine, if you press on the dome you'll find it flicks and the real metal top of the cap is fine and flat. Those caps are actually quite good, haven't seen one leak or even go out of spec. 

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:05:29 pm »
Better safe than sorry... and as it happens, the cap was out of spec, though all the others were fine.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:54:21 am »
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm glad to know that it likely isn't a failure of expensive & difficult to find components then. I'll give it a good look over if it continues to behave for a while.
High school graduate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf