Author Topic: EEVBlog HV Differential Probe - source for alternative tips?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Lorenzo_1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
EEVBlog HV Differential Probe - source for alternative tips?
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:13:23 am »
Recently purchased the EEVBlog HVP-70 as I seem to spend half my time fixing SMPS problems.  Latest one an aircon supply blown up by an Asian House Gecko that got across the bridge rectifier!  She (who had eggs and was probably looking for someone warm and safe to lay them) got fried, as did the SMPS.  Seems the aircon techs in north Qld make a nice living out of these guys.  Happy with the investment as it already helped me get my LeCroy SMPS going again (shorted MosFET).

Having been looking for some accessory tips - 4mm banana socket, 1kV, 20A or similar that will help me get into smaller spaces than the supplied ones. Have hunted around but it gets a bit confusing and don't want to order something that doesn't fit.  Lots of scope probes but harder to find tips, lots of multimeter probe tips but not completely sure they'll suit.  Looked at Pomona website without success.  Suggestions/links to help narrow my search would be appreciated.  I'd quite like to find a small kit with a range of tips in it.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog HV Differential Probe - source for alternative tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 06:32:18 am »
I make my own "tips", depending upon the circuit under test. I picked up a handful of these:

...and I just connect whatever sort of contacts are necessary. For example, noise sensitive (such as high impedance) circuits get a short piece of solid wire (often resistor lead) screwed to each banana plug, and then touched to the circuit points. For others, I have a pair of micrograbber test leads that are cut short and screwed to banana plugs for easier connections when noise isn't as big a problem.

My theory is that screw-based banana plugs let me customize the "test leads" to anything.

Offline Lorenzo_1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:12:15 pm »
Thanks - that's a good tip. ;D

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:00:56 pm »
I make my own "tips", depending upon the circuit under test. I picked up a handful of these:

...and I just connect whatever sort of contacts are necessary. For example, noise sensitive (such as high impedance) circuits get a short piece of solid wire (often resistor lead) screwed to each banana plug, and then touched to the circuit points. For others, I have a pair of micrograbber test leads that are cut short and screwed to banana plugs for easier connections when noise isn't as big a problem.

My theory is that screw-based banana plugs let me customize the "test leads" to anything.

Where did you get those?

Thanks

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:43:02 pm »
Where did you get those?
Sorry for the delayed response, we were travelling.

These and many others like them are available from the usual distributors. That particular photo is from this item at DigiKey:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cinch-connectivity-solutions-johnson/108-0753-001/J149-ND/5927

...which costs $1.35 for quantities up to 10.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf