Author Topic: 163 A - 400 Hz CT Testing For Aviation Generator Application  (Read 1576 times)

Offline SteveRTopic starter

163 A - 400 Hz CT Testing For Aviation Generator Application
« on: November 28, 2023, 09:16:48 pm »
Hi All,

What power supply equipment could I use to provide a 400 Hz, 163 A rms supply to support the testing of a wound Current Transformer installed to an aircraft power generator?

The test requirements are as follows:

"The assembly should provide a voltage of 3.45 as measured across a 10 ohm, 3 watt burden resistor, when a single turn primary current of 163amps rms 400Hz is flowing."

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: 163 A - 400 Hz CT Testing For Aviation Generator Application
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 09:30:27 pm »
You could use two Fluke 52120A transconductance amplifiers in parallel driven closed-loop by a Fluke 5730A calibrator.  Or they can be driven open-loop by any calibrator with the result of a little less accuracy.  If you need this level of accuracy, then it won't be cheap.  What level of accuracy do you actually need here?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 09:35:59 pm »
Check chroma and itest AC power supply, they often go up to 1KHz.

Maybe... using a big ass AB 10KW audio amplifier with an external current loop?

Offline SteveRTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 09:45:42 pm »
Many thanks for your reply, full requirements with tolerances attached.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 11:08:11 pm »
Hi All,

What power supply equipment could I use to provide a 400 Hz, 163 A rms supply to support the testing of a wound Current Transformer installed to an aircraft power generator?

The test requirements are as follows:

"The assembly should provide a voltage of 3.45 as measured across a 10 ohm, 3 watt burden resistor, when a single turn primary current of 163amps rms 400Hz is flowing."

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Probably these specs was written in the time where big electrical machines were used. I'd says its a suggestion for a GPU (ground power unit) + transformer.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 11:38:26 pm »
You can spoof the high current to test CT's.
I'll take a mains power transformer like MOT or big toroid and put a few turns of heavy wire on it like #6 or #4AWG to make a low voltage secondary. What you need is around 2VAC at say 200A (~400VA). Then run that through the CT under test.
The primary could be energized by 50/60Hz and 400Hz with a Chroma to see if the burden resistor etc. is reasonable for meeting the spec. Watch the CT's phase might be important too for the protection module.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 06:06:39 pm »
if the current transformer is to be tested separately and the single high current (primary) conductor can be removed, you could put a test winding there with 163 turns and just feed in a current of 1A which should be easily possible with an average audio amp.

Otherwise, my approach would be making a step-down transformer with approximately a 163:1 turn ratio on a decently large, low-loss core and some copper sheet metal as the single or two turn secondary. A clamp type current meter should do for checking the test current is within tolerance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf