Author Topic: Tektronix TDS3PRT Printer  (Read 647 times)

Offline Bruce, KG6OJITopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix TDS3PRT Printer
« on: September 02, 2020, 06:34:59 pm »
Does anyone on the list own a Tektronix TDS3PRT plug-in printer for the TDS 3000- & TDS3000B scopes?  I recently purchased one of these printers and have been searching online for the manual or documentation furnished with this product (that was discontinued some years back) without success.  I'm uncertain whether any software was furnished with these printers.  I will appreciate any help or information.

I've been seeking an explanation for the scarcity of of available information on tthe TDS3PRT printer and the reason for its discontinuance.  I have been hoping to find the manual or instructions furnished with this printer and any software that might have been furnished with it.  What I have learned so far is that according to a Wikipedia article:

"Reports began surfacing in the 2000s finding the oestrogen-related chemical bispheonol A ("BPA") [is] mixed in with thermal (and some other) papers.  While the health concerns are very uncertain, various health and science oriented political pressure organizations such as the Environmental Working Group have pressed fro these versions to be pulled from market."  This may be the explanation.

The TDS3PRT printers bear Sony/Tektronix labels with J prefixes.  A source confirmed they were manufactured by Sony.  Sony has manufactured several high-quality thermal printer models for medical applications such as ultrasound scans.  Another source indicated the TDS3PRT used 110 mm paper rolls.  Sony also employed this width paper rolls in their printers and offered at least three grades from normal to highly glossy, UPP-110S, UPP-110HD, and UPP-110HG.  These remain available from eBay and Amazon sources and may be compatible with the Tektronix printer.  I have not found any source for the Tektronix 016-1907-00 paper (5 rolls).

Sony, being the manufacturer, may have nixed public release of the manuals.  One former seller mentioned the manual was available on apexwaves.com, but the file has apparently been pulled down.

Are any of these printers to be found in the hands of members of this group?   Can anyone provide further information, particularly a source for the manual?

Offline Bruce, KG6OJITopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS3PRT Printer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 03:29:10 pm »
To augment my previous message, the TDS3PRT printer arrived yesterday without accessory items or instructions.  I quickly noticed the platen knob was frozen, but after opening the printer I was able to loosen it by rocking the knob gradually back and forth.  I believe this problem arose from a long period of disuse. 

It turned out the Sony UPP-110 series paper rolls are too large in diameter for these compact printers.  But after winding about 2/3 of the roll onto a mandrel to reduce the diameter to about 30 mm, the remaining roll fit fine.  It should be possible to refill it from the mandrel when needed. 

When I installed the TDS3PRT into my TDS3052B the proper print driver seemed to be automatically selected.  The printer worked fine with the UUP-110S paper I tried.  I also have a roll of UUP-110HG that I will try later.

A couple of puzzling issues remain because of lack of the instructions:  To my surprise there did not seem to be any obvious way to cut the paper to remove images after printing, and I am unsure if any routine maintenance, such as print head cleaning, is necessary. 

If anyone on the list has access to the instructions for these now obsolete printers, your help would be appreciated.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf