Author Topic: Siglent SDL1000X/SDL1000X-E Electronic Load  (Read 108525 times)

Offline CM

• Contributor
  • Claude Mundy
Re: Siglent SDL1000X/SDL1000X-E Electronic Load
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2024, 09:51:21 pm »
I am using an Agilent E3633A to supply power.  I am measuring voltage at the terminals of the SDL using a calibrated Agilent 34401A 6.5 digit multimeter.  I'm about 3% off at all voltages I've tested.  The specification for voltage is +/- 0.02% + 0.05% FS, so that strikes me as way off.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2024, 09:52:12 pm »
I am supplying power to the load by an Agilent E3633A power supply.  I am measuring voltage at the SDL input terminals using a calibrated Agilent 34401A 6 1/2 digit multimeter.  I'm about 3% off on all the voltages I've tested.  The specification for voltage accuracy is +/- 0.02% +0.025%FS._At no input, the SDL still shows .003V.
So will a sensitive DMM in a noisy lab.
Test with a input short.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/23_04_12/SDL1000X%20Series%20Service%20Manual_E01B.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: CM

Offline CM

• Contributor
  • Claude Mundy
« Reply #402 on: August 06, 2024, 10:01:25 pm »
I have retested by shorting the inputs.  Still shows 0.003V.  Seems off to me.   Thank you for providing version E01B of the service manual.  While it provides the verification procedures, I'm kinda disappointed that Siglent no longer provides the calibration procedures.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #403 on: August 06, 2024, 10:11:58 pm »
I'm kinda disappointed that Siglent no longer provides the calibration procedures.

Because it is not very easy and had caused more problems than results, it was consequently withdrawn.
I personally do not trust the displayed values of loads and supplies for professional reasons alone and would always use "correct" meters for current and voltage measurements.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: August 06, 2024, 10:21:58 pm »
I have retested by shorting the inputs.  Still shows 0.003V.  Seems off to me.   Thank you for providing version E01B of the service manual.  While it provides the verification procedures, I'm kinda disappointed that Siglent no longer provides the calibration procedures.
In which modes ?
See datasheet for accuracy qualifications.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/24_06_06/SDL1000X_DataSheet_DS0801X-E01F.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline CM

• Contributor
  • Claude Mundy
« Reply #405 on: August 06, 2024, 11:16:16 pm »
Tell me one mode where a 3% error for a voltage reading is acceptable.  Where in the user or service manual does it warn you to expect a 3% difference between the display and what you would acquire by a SCPI command? 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #406 on: August 06, 2024, 11:19:03 pm »
Tell me one mode where a 3% error for a voltage reading is acceptable.  Where in the user or service manual does it warn you to expect a 3% difference between the display and what you would acquire by a SCPI command?
Ask NA HQ if they will check Cal for you.
https://siglentna.com/contact-us/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline CM

• Contributor
  • Claude Mundy
« Reply #407 on: August 06, 2024, 11:53:36 pm »
I was testing in CV mode in the 0 to 36V range.  Looking at the spec, the accuracy for 0 volts is +/- 0.0005 + 0.00025 FS.  If I understand this correctly, full scale is 36V, so 0.00025 of FS is 9mv.  That's more than the 0.003V I observed.  After leaving the SDL on for 2 hours, no-load reading dropped to 0.001V.  If I did this right, it is in spec.  It would be interesting to compare the display readings with SCPI readings.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 06:15:54 pm by CM »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2024, 07:21:54 pm »
Can you please repost the service manual?

Here we go, once again...
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt, CM

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2024, 08:04:38 pm »
Can you please repost the service manual?

Here we go, once again...

One should be very cautious with this, and can understand why Siglent removed this procedure.

This is confusing and complicated for Instrument Calibration. Not something we're going to be attempting anytime soon, unless Siglent issues a more clear version, and/or someone creates a clearer procedure!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2024, 09:06:14 pm »
When I requested the "uncut" manual from Siglent, I received it straight away, presumably because I am in contact with the support team at work and they know that I won't tell them off if a calibration goes wrong. ;)
Because there had been problems in the past, so they decided to remove the part from the manual.
I also can't imagine that Siglent only assigns staff to make the procedure "fool proof".
In other words, it will remain as it is now, without calibration instructions.
I could look into it and create a more brain-friendly manual, but I would need time that I don't have, because there are already too many "projects" in my pipeline and such a calibration would definitely be low priority.
In addition, I personally only trust displays from external measuring devices anyway and never rely on the internal displays of loads/generators/supplies.
This is also how "my" test field is set up at work.
Oscilloscopes, multimeters, power analyzers, data recorders, current clamps and differential probes are calibrated, everything else is not.
I "turned" my 1020 into a 1030 last and saved a lot of money and I'm not the only one who did that.
So you could go along and spend some of the money saved on an external calibration.
Because the guys from a measuring laboratory must be able to do this, they not only get the specs from the manufacturer, but also calibration instructions if available.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #411 on: August 30, 2024, 08:00:57 pm »
Got an early Christmas present today -- the SDL1020X-E arrived and is on the network.

@Tautech -- one request to Siglent: Please add support for the SCreenDumP (SCDP) SCPI command to the SDL1000X. I was rather disappointed to find it missing from the programming guide.

The odd thing is that when I send the command, I get a success code, but then 0 bytes are returned.  I was hoping that, like with the SDM3065X, it might be an undocumented command.

@Tautech -- any update on this feature request?  I wish to use the SDL1000X to document battery capacity and discharge characteristics. I would prefer to just grab a screenshot via SCPI of the final results rather than having to either taking a photo (ugh!) or dumping the raw data and plotting the results. Lack of screenshot capability in any modern piece of test equipment is just bizarre.

Second request -- on the battery discharge screen, please show total power in mWh, along with the mAh. I am trying to test a battery with a non-linear voltage curve when discharged at a constant current. Having the instrument do that calculation for me would be helpful.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf