Author Topic: Fluke 28 II fail  (Read 5444 times)

Offline fobTopic starter

Fluke 28 II fail
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »
I opened my Fluke 28 II meter to deal with a problem with one input jack and I noticed a small SMD component fell off the board due to improper soldering. See near DS6 on the silkscreen.

Do you think this should be covered by the warranty even if I'm not the first owner? First time I see a SMD component fall off a board and this meter is in very good condition not abused at all.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 28 II fail
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »
Do you think this should be covered by the warranty even if I'm not the first owner?
You can ask Fluke Canada even though you are not the original owner.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:28 pm »
Looks like the cold junction compensation diode (perhaps!). Anyway if Fluke do not help, and since you still have the diode a little soldering and 'bobs your uncle' .  Test it to make sure its still okay and you get the correct re soldering direction  :D. as per the silkscreen.
 If you just do it yourself give the temp function a good test for somewhat expected readings !. (for a thermocouple at least).
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:41:23 am »
The possible advantages of sending it back to Fluke are:

1) you may get an entire new pcb with the latest revision
2) Fluke will likely check calibration of repaired meter - a possible $75 to $100 value function thrown in for "free"

It will likely cost you $10 to $15 CDN to send it to Fluke Canada.  Send it with a tracking number.  Before sending, phone Fluke, not email, and speak nicely to the customer service representative.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:01 am »
Looks like the cold junction compensation diode (perhaps!).
Might also be optical jack detection...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:15:58 am »
Do you think this should be covered by the warranty even if I'm not the first owner?
You can ask Fluke Canada even though you are not the original owner.
Here is one recent example where the OP was not the original owner of the 27 II, but got it replaced with a brand new 28 II from Fluke Canada.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-28-ii-battery-life/msg1021957/#msg1021957

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:32:01 am »
Actually looking at the photo more closely I think you are right. (noting the rather interesting looking Q19 and 22 and their placement).
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:01 am »
Actually looking at the photo more closely I think you are right. (noting the rather interesting looking Q19 and 22 and their placement).

yes, first thing that came to mind: looks like an SMD LED. and judging by the Q19 and 22, perhaps an IR LED.
It should be a quick 5min job if you can't be bothered to send it back. Unless the IR LED is broken.

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:00 am »
Fluke Canada is awesome to deal with, don't hesitate to contact them for warranty purposes. They warrantied my 27-II which I purchased on eBay from the USA.

My Fluke 289 had the exact same issue and it seems to be a common problem. The diode for the jack detection was rattling inside my 289. I decided to re-solder it in place rather than warranty the meter. It was easier for me, and cheaper (didn't have to ship to meter to Fluke).

Offline fobTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »
Well, I got news from Fluke Canada today. They denied warranty work on my unit as they consider this is not an "operational failure". I wonder what they consider an "operational failure". They want to charge 384$ "flat rate repair". This is outreageous, it's 75% of the price of a brand new meter.

I can say I'm done with fluke products honestly. The fact that I'm not the only one who's meter suffered from the same issue makes it even worse.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
Warranty coverage would have been nice - but it should be pretty easy to just solder it back in place.
VE7FM

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:04:00 am »
I can say I'm done with fluke products honestly. The fact that I'm not the only one who's meter suffered from the same issue makes it even worse.
If you are willing to take one more stab at it, re-read the entire

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-28-ii-battery-life/?all

and see if your Fluke 28 II has that battery problem.  If it does, call Fluke back and tell them about the battery problem.  Don't mention anything about the fallen off SMD component.

If you are not willing to call Fluke again, post it for sale here possibly. You will likely find interested buyers depending on your asking price.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:05 am »
Warranty coverage would have been nice - but it should be pretty easy to just solder it back in place.
Yes, soldering the component should be pretty easy.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but the terms of warranty coverage is clearly stated in their manuals in readable everyday English.  The problem is that many people who buy Fluke meters, new or used, do not understand the exact terms and conditions and often rely on people/forums who give wrong information.

People who buy used Fluke meters do not quality for warranty.  Yes, some people get lucky and get warranty for free as evidence of many threads here on eevblog.  Fluke may give warranty/replacement to used meters (non original owners) when there is a safety recall.

Offline fobTopic starter

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:15:14 am »
I know soldering back the component is easy, in fact I repaired it tonight. It's just that I expect Fluke to provide the level of service that comes with the purchase of a high end piece of equipment.

I'm aware of the warranty terms but the failure of my PCB is the result of a manufacturing defect, not misuse or customer induced damage. I expected a better solution than "384$ flat rate repair".

Offline KeepItSimpleStupid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 03:21:08 am »
Not this Fluke.  They would not even supply me a battery door for a handheld instrument.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf