Author Topic: DSO: How to read max. voltage specs?  (Read 649 times)

Online Aldo22Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DSO: How to read max. voltage specs?
« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:00:38 pm »
Is it possible for the manufacturer to print "300V CAT II" on the device if it only applies with the 10x probes?
Yes, you need to read the manual.

Instruments are not self documenting.
There is nothing about this in the manual, only in the information quoted above.

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: Today at 01:06:24 pm »
I simply wonder whether Hantek can be so bold as to write 300V next to connections that can only handle 30V.

Working in T&M for almost 30 years, I’ve seen plenty of questionable claims, but (so far) max input voltage hasn’t been one of them.  If anything, specs for max input voltage / power are usually pretty conservative.  To be an order of magnitude off seems very unlikely to me.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:09:13 pm by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: Today at 01:40:43 pm »
I simply wonder whether Hantek can be so bold as to write 300V next to connections that can only handle 30V.

Working in T&M for almost 30 years, I’ve seen plenty of questionable claims, but (so far) max input voltage hasn’t been one of them.  If anything, specs for max input voltage / power are usually pretty conservative.  To be an order of magnitude off seems very unlikely to me.

I think so too, especially as it's a beginner's scope that doesn't come with a printed manual.
So all you see is 300V. Any normal person would understand this as max. input voltage, especially because other scopes are also specified with this value.
But, yes, "the proof of the pudding..."  ;)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: Today at 02:13:48 pm »

I doubt it very much.

Input impedance is probably 1M Ohm so 300V isn't likely to damage it - it's less than 1mA of current.

CAT ratings include transients though. That's where the doubts are.

This is academic though. Just don't use 1x probes for this check the switch and check a lesser voltage before probing to make sure the switch isn't broken.

Also: Get some fixed x10 probes (or even x100 probes) if you regularly want to look at mains AC. Reduce that 300V to 3V.

Even better: Get a differential probe and avoid the dangers of earthing as well.

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: Today at 02:36:56 pm »

I doubt it very much.

Input impedance is probably 1M Ohm so 300V isn't likely to damage it - it's less than 1mA of current.
Thank you!

CAT ratings include transients though. That's where the doubts are.

This is academic though. Just don't use 1x probes for this check the switch and check a lesser voltage before probing to make sure the switch isn't broken.

Also: Get some fixed x10 probes (or even x100 probes) if you regularly want to look at mains AC. Reduce that 300V to 3V.

Even better: Get a differential probe and avoid the dangers of earthing as well.

Thanks Fungus, but really, I'll write it in bold letters now: "I don't want to measure mains with this oscilloscope:)
As I mentioned at the very beginning, I basically just want to know whether 60VDC directly at the input (1x, with AC coupling, so that it makes sense) will destroy my oscilloscope.
That's what it boils down to.

However, this thread is also there to discuss the sometimes confusing specifications of other devices.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf