Author Topic: DS2000 vs. DS1000Z record, playback, navigate, analyze, mask, etc. ??  (Read 27623 times)

Offline Electro FanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi,

My trial options ran out on the DS1104Z before I could fully get to some of the features/functions.  Just checking to see if anyone knows if the 1000Z can do all this: 

Or if not, which of these functions can be done on the 1000Z and which can only be done with the DS2000?  (What are the biggest differences between the 1000Z and the DS2000 with respect to record, playback, navigate, analyze, mask, etc.?)

I realize it's hard to say if you don't have both scopes available to use but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, EF

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: DS2000 vs. DS1000Z record, playback, navigate, analyze, mask, etc. ??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:21:24 am »
DS2000 has its famous big rotary knob and dedicated buttons for record (=segmented memory). Not many scopes have this.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:35:22 pm »
DS1000Z series can have 4 channels + dual signal gen. I guess that's something for people who don't have much space in the lab :) Price of DS1000Z series is also much more attractive.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:38:11 pm »
DS2000 has its famous big rotary knob and dedicated buttons for record (=segmented memory). Not many scopes have this.

Right, the famous big rotary knob and the dedicated buttons look like complete winners from an ergonomics / user interface standpoint.  The question is, althought the 1000Z doesn't have such a nice set of controls can it do some or all of the same things as the 2000 with respect to for record, playback, navigate, and analysis - albeit with the features buried deeper in the 1000Z menu system?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:50 pm »
The question is, althought the 1000Z doesn't have such a nice set of controls can it do some or all of the same things as the 2000 with respect to for record, playback, navigate, and analysis - albeit with the features buried deeper in the 1000Z menu system?

Record and playback, yes, in a similar way the DS1052E does segmented memory, it's buries away in a menu somewhere...

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:25:41 pm »
Right, the famous big rotary knob and the dedicated buttons look like complete winners from an ergonomics / user interface standpoint.  The question is, althought the 1000Z doesn't have such a nice set of controls can it do some or all of the same things as the 2000 with respect to for record, playback, navigate, and analysis - albeit with the features buried deeper in the 1000Z menu system?

Looking through the DS1074Z manual, it appears as if the Record / Playback function is very similar to the way it was implemented in earlier Rigol models (like, as Dave notes, the DS1052E) - and unfortunately, missing all of the added features and bonuses that make it so special on the DS2000 (and DS4000) series, including the dedicated knob and buttons; the Record Open ("History Memory") feature; the Analysis feature, but most importantly - the Time Tags - which are imperative when trying to use it to catalogue errors occurring over time.

The only things that set it apart from the Record function on the old DS1052E are the number of frames you can record (since it has much more memory) - and the faster re-arm time (since it has inherently higher wfrm/s).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:32:22 pm by marmad »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:18:17 am »
The other thing the 1000Z still lacks is a Programming Guide.  Without that, it's unknown what SCPI commands it supports, which may enable further capabilities beyond the front panel.  As in marmad's RUU program.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 02:12:17 am »
Looking through the DS1074Z manual, it appears as if [editorial emphasis] the Record / Playback function is very similar to the way it was implemented in earlier Rigol models (like, as Dave notes, the DS1052E) - and unfortunately, missing all of the added features and bonuses that make it so special on the DS2000 (and DS4000) series, including the dedicated knob and buttons; the Record Open ("History Memory") feature; the Analysis feature, but most importantly - the Time Tags - which are imperative when trying to use it to catalogue errors occurring over time.

The only things that set it apart from the Record function on the old DS1052E are the number of frames you can record (since it has much more memory) - and the faster re-arm time (since it has inherently higher wfrm/s).

We've actually told Electro Fan all this already before, weeks ago.  But one thing to keep in mind...

"Looking through the DS1074Z manual, it appears as if..." acknowledges these conclusions are based on a careful reading of the Rigol Manual.  Since neither marmad nor I have a 1000Z, this is the best we can do.

However, as Electro Fan already discovered, the Manual is NOT always accurate, or complete!  His own testing on his 1000Z revealed that it DOES in fact have the Event Table list function for the protocol decoders.  But not according to the Rigol Manual.    :clap:  So all the limitations posted above need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:20 am »
We've actually told Electro Fan all this already before, weeks ago.

I realized that - but the info was more for other readers of this thread.

However, as Electro Fan already discovered, the Manual is NOT always accurate, or complete!  His own testing on his 1000Z revealed that it DOES in fact have the Event Table list function for the protocol decoders.

But it's not only the information missing from the manual - it's also the screen shot of the DS1000Z's Record/Playback mode and menu. It's completely different from the DS2000 (which has a menu for Record 'Mode': Record, Open [Record Continuous], Playback, and Analyze) - then separate submenus for each of those modes). So I'm fairly certain it's lacking all those features I listed above.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:32:20 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Quote from: marmad on Yesterday at 10:25:41 AM
Looking through the DS1074Z manual, it appears as if [editorial emphasis] the Record / Playback function is very similar to the way it was implemented in earlier Rigol models (like, as Dave notes, the DS1052E) - and unfortunately, missing all of the added features and bonuses that make it so special on the DS2000 (and DS4000) series, including the dedicated knob and buttons; the Record Open ("History Memory") feature; the Analysis feature, but most importantly - the Time Tags - which are imperative when trying to use it to catalogue errors occurring over time.

But it's not only the information missing from the manual - it's also the screen shot of the DS1000Z's Record/Playback mode and menu. It's completely different from the DS2000 (which has a menu for Record 'Mode': Record, Open [Record Continuous], Playback, and Analyze) - then separate submenus for each of those modes). So I'm fairly certain it's lacking all those features I listed above.

Marmad, Thanks.  I think you have summarized the likely differences very well (I realize it's hard to say with complete certainty without having both scopes to examine and given the sometimes hit or miss nature of the manuals).

So, given that your assessment of the differences is probably highly accurate, the question I'm still wrestling with is which scope provides a better overall "learning platform":  the 1000Z with the 4 channels or the 2000 with the superior record/playback/navigation/analysis?  Seems like it's always greener on the other side of the fence - I like the 1000Z but I'm wondering if monitoring signals and interpreting/analyzing waveforms might be easier/more enjoyable with the the superior navigation and analysis features on the 2000.  (I completey agree that the Record Open and especially the Time Tags, along with the big Nav knob and front panel VCR-like controls are likely to be among the most missed features on the 1000Z.)  The 2000 also benefits from your software.  Overall, the price is pretty similar so price isn't much of an issue - it's 4 channels vs. everything else extra that comes with the 2000.  (One other consideration is the larger screen on the 2000 would be a tad nicer; by by the time you put 2 or more channels and some decoders on the 1000Z screen it starts to get a little crowded.)  Both are excellent products but I have a nagging suspicion the 2000 is extra nice. :) 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:47:12 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »
...the question I'm still wrestling with is which scope provides a better overall "learning platform":  the 1000Z with the 4 channels or the 2000 with the superior record/playback/navigation/analysis?

I'm confused why you're still wrestling with those questions?  You bought the 1074Z and own it.  Are you considering returning it and doing an exchange?  If not, then what's the point of the exercise?

Seems like it's always greener on the other side of the fence - I like the 1000Z but I'm wondering if monitoring signals and interpreting/analyzing waveforms might be easier/more enjoyable with the the superior navigation and analysis features on the 2000.

You haven't even explored all the things your 1000Z CAN do, but you're obsessing about what it CAN'T do?   :-//

(I completey agree that the Record Open and especially the Time Tags, along with the big Nav knob and front panel VCR-like controls are likely to be among the most missed features on the 1000Z.)

Nonsense.  The RecordOpen option lets you decide to capture the LAST n-event occurrences, vs. the default of capturing the FIRST n-occurrences.  That's a "big deal"?  The Time tags could be very useful in SOME situations, and totally irrelevant in others.  "the big Nav knob and front panel VCR-like controls" are a bit  more convenient having dedicated controls, but provide no capability you don't already have.  Part of the reason they're as useful as they are on the 2000 is because the right-menu there is a pop-up, vs. the always-on menus on the 1000Z.  When you're doing Record/Play on the 1000Z, the buttons for those control ops are always there... just in a different place.

The 2000 also benefits from your software.

That's definitely a large value-add, but a) there's nothing stopping marmad from adding support for the extra 2 channels some day [though not much point if there's only 2 or 3 people that could benefit], and b) I don't know that his RUU program doesn't work already on the 1000Z's first two channels.  Have you tested it and confirmed it does not?

(One other consideration is the larger screen on the 2000 would be a tad nicer; by by the time you put 2 or more channels and some decoders on the 1000Z screen it starts to get a little crowded.)

That depends on your eyesight.  Physically, the screen is bigger, but they both have exactly the same resolution (800x480), so the 2000 is exactly as crowded, when you get many traces on-screen.

Both are excellent products but I have a nagging suspicion the 2000 is extra nice. :)

Mainly because you don't have one, I'd guess.   ;D  If you did, your nagging suspicions would be about the 1000Z.  ;)

Offline RRobot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:33 pm »
Unless Rigol comes out with a 4 channel DS2000 there's no choice you could make which would be completely satisfying. I doubt this will happen as it would canabalize their 4000 sales.

The DS2000 is a great scope but if you bought the 1000z you should be happy. You will use the 3rd channel more often than you think and while you can work around not having it, it is a hassle.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:40 am »
While I agree that Electro Fan may just be suffering from some typical 'buyer's remorse', I think you're minimizing the value of some of the missing features - partially, I'm guessing, because you've never used them. In particular:

The RecordOpen option lets you decide to capture the LAST n-event occurrences, vs. the default of capturing the FIRST n-occurrences.  That's a "big deal"?
The Record Open is a pretty awesome tool - and as far as I know, does not exist in the Agilent 2000X series or any other scope anywhere close to the DS2000's price range. It's basically "waveform memory" - and when turned on is continually storing the captured waveforms in a FIFO buffer, so if you STOP acquisitions at any point, you can scroll through the last N (up to 65000) waveforms. It can be very handy when doing circuit probing.

The main mistake Rigol made with the feature is that there should be a dedicated button which turns it completely on and off (the Record/Stop buttons work for normal segmented memory capture only), because it needs to be off when changing acquisition mode or memory depth. The ability to switch it off fast, change memory depth, then turn it back on quickly would enhance it's usefulness considerably.

The Time tags could be very useful in SOME situations, and totally irrelevant in others.
I can't imagine trying to do any serious debugging over time without them. And you generally tend to use segmented memory when you're trying to pinpoint the occurrence of some event over a given period of time (whether that be a few seconds or several days) - otherwise you could just use single-shot to capture an event you're expecting (or can trigger).

I think the reason that the standard 'Record' function of the old DS1052E (and most other cheap Chinese DSOs) was/is never really talked about much is because it's not really a serious tool without the Time Tags.

"the big Nav knob and front panel VCR-like controls" are a bit  more convenient having dedicated controls, but provide no capability you don't already have.
Of course they do. The spring-loaded Nav knob has a thumb dial built into the end of it - so you can scroll through frames extremely fast with the knob and slowly (and smoothly) with the dial. Not only that, but one of my favorite features of the DS2000 (after having used the typical crappy multi-purpose knobs on the DS1052E, Owon SDS7102, and Hantek DSO5062B) is the fact that the Nav knob doubles as a second high-speed multi-purpose knob. So when you have some variable selected in a menu that has a huge range (like from 100ns to 10s), you don't have to spin the multi-purpose knob a million times to reach the end of the range, you can use the Nav knob instead, and just zip to any point in the variable range.

It also provides the same utility when scrolling in Delayed Sweep (Zoom) mode.

That depends on your eyesight.  Physically, the screen is bigger, but they both have exactly the same resolution (800x480), so the 2000 is exactly as crowded, when you get many traces on-screen.
Well, yes and no. The screens have the same resolution, but the waveform display area is actually smaller on the DS1000Z (it looks like 600x400 - as compared to 700x400 on the DS2000). That, combined with the physically smaller screen, equates to something that would definitely feel smaller.

Here are the actual waveform display areas of the DS1000Z/2000/4000 compared in relative size:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:27:01 am by marmad »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:09 am »
So, given that your assessment of the differences is probably highly accurate, the question I'm still wrestling with is which scope provides a better overall "learning platform":  the 1000Z with the 4 channels or the 2000 with the superior record/playback/navigation/analysis?

It really comes down to how much you need those extra channels. I work almost exclusively with I2C - and while there are occasions when I could use another channel or two, it's really very rare for me (and I do have a Tektronix analog scope, too).

If Rigol upgrades the External Trigger input on the DS2000 (as they promised they would - but still haven't delivered on), that would help me in my work and satisfy many circumstances where I just need an extra input for triggering (but don't need to see the trace).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:12:02 am by marmad »

Offline RRobot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:18 am »
If Rigol upgrades the External Trigger input on the DS2000 (as they promised they would - but still haven't delivered on), that would help me in my work and satisfy many circumstances where I just need an extra input for triggering (but don't need to see the trace).

Whats the problem with the DS2000 external trigger? I once tried to trigger a old Rigol 1204B from a Agilent DSO7000, but it did not work as the fixed external trigger levels on the Rigol were too great.

However the DS4000 manual suggests it can be set within +/-4 volts. Is this true?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 02:24:38 am »
Whats the problem with the DS2000 external trigger? I once tried to trigger a old Rigol 1204B from a Agilent DSO7000, but it did not work as the fixed external trigger levels on the Rigol were too great.

However the DS4000 manual suggests it can be set within +/-4 volts. Is this true?

Yes - but the problem isn't the input voltage range. The DS2000 has an incredible array of different trigger types - including the various protocol triggers (I2C, USB, etc) - but unfortunately the External Trigger can only be use as the source for a single type: Edge.

OTOH, if it could be used as a source on the protocol triggers (and some of the other advanced types like Window, Delay, etc), it means you could free up an analog channel when you don't actually need to see the triggering signal itself (such as a clock line).

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:38 am »

Well, yes and no. The screens have the same resolution, but the waveform display area is actually smaller on the DS1000Z (it looks like 600x400 - as compared to 700x400 on the DS2000). That, combined with the physically smaller screen, equates to something that would definitely feel smaller.

Here are the actual waveform display areas of the DS1000Z/2000/4000 compared in relative size:

Yes, I've seen that comparison before, and should have mentioned back then that it's obviously incorrect.   :o  The 1000Z display region is 10% smaller than it should be.  Both in width and height.  So the pictorial comparison is misleading, since the area should be >20% larger.

And yes, you're correct about the reduced x-axis giving a 600x400 signal region, due to the decision to keep the menus up all the time, thus dropping from 14 to 12 divisions.  But until they start streaming waveforms vertically, that buys you nothing at all in terms of alleviating multi-trace cramping.  Both have exactly the same 400 pixels vertically, to cram the horizontal traces in to.  So if you want to view them stacked, rather than overlaid, you have to reduce the amplitude sensitivity just as much on the 2000 as the 1000.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 04:07:25 am »
I don't post in these threads generally but good grief Electro Fan, you have probably posted every day for the past 3 months about this Rigol 1000/2000. What on earth are you using them for???
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 06:04:39 am »
...I think you're minimizing the value of some of the missing features - partially, I'm guessing, because you've never used them.

That would be one potential explanation.  ;D  There are other possibilities.

In particular:

The RecordOpen option lets you decide to capture the LAST n-event occurrences, vs. the default of capturing the FIRST n-occurrences.  That's a "big deal"?

The Record Open is a pretty awesome tool - and as far as I know, does not exist in the Agilent 2000X series or any other scope anywhere close to the DS2000's price range. It's basically "waveform memory" - and when turned on is continually storing the captured waveforms in a FIFO buffer, so if you STOP acquisitions at any point, you can scroll through the last N (up to 65000) waveforms. It can be very handy when doing circuit probing.

I agree that this can be useful when doing live probing.  I've done so with my 400 MHz LeCroy in the past, though that has a limit of 2,000 frames (probably due to its limited memory capacity of 1M samples for each of 4 channels).  Set the trigger to segmented acquisition mode, and turn Wrap On.  And I could quickly and easily stop at any time, adjust my settings, and start probing and triggering again.  It also has the ability to post-process the acquired frames in numerous ways, which (I believe?) the Rigol lacks.  You're correct about the price class, though used units can now be found in the same ballpark.  (Not the color ones though! :) )

But normally the type of thing I want to capture in segmented mode is infrequently occurring events.  I may have to wait hours, or even days to acquire a representative sample, and in that mode I want the first N occurrences, not the last N.  And while I often do want the time stamps to go with each event (accurate to 1 nS on the LeCroy), more often I'm simply looking for the frequency.  [And the Rigol only shows the Time tag on each event... so you have to step through to see them.  The LeCroy will also show you a time-stamp table, and you can then jump directly to a date/time, when that's useful.]

The main mistake Rigol made with the feature is that there should be a dedicated button which turns it completely on and off (the Record/Stop buttons work for normal segmented memory capture only), because it needs to be off when changing acquisition mode or memory depth. The ability to switch it off fast, change memory depth, then turn it back on quickly would enhance it's usefulness considerably.

I'd agree with this assessment.  From your previous estimate of ~20uS delay between segment retriggering, I'd say Rigol did pretty well, since it takes the LeCroy about 50 uS to re-arm after each acquisition burst.

Quote from: marmad
Quote from: Mark_O
The Time tags could be very useful in SOME situations, and totally irrelevant in others.

I can't imagine trying to do any serious debugging over time without them.

Really?  You can't even imagine it?   ::) 

And you generally tend to use segmented memory when you're trying to pinpoint the occurrence of some event over a given period of time (whether that be a few seconds or several days) - otherwise you could just use single-shot to capture an event you're expecting (or can trigger).

I don't know about 'pinpoint', but yes, the rest is correct.  Unpredictable transient-event capture is extremely valuable.  And while I'd agree that I'd certainly prefer having the Time tags (no argument there), e.g. to know that a triggered event happened twice in 5 minutes, then nothing for 3 hours, then 3 more times in 10 minutes, I can many times get by without that extra information.  Not always, of course.  And the 1000Z would be better if it had it.  That's why I alerted EF to it's absence long ago, before he bought one.  But I also like to keep things in perspective.

I think the reason that the standard 'Record' function of the old DS1052E (and most other cheap Chinese DSOs) was/is never really talked about much is because it's not really a serious tool without the Time Tags.

I disagree.   :scared:  :)  IMO, the real reason was because no one had a freaking clue what it was actually for!  I.e., they looked at the "Interval" settings, and asked themselves "Why would I want to randomly grab a sample of data every 100 mS, or every second, or whatever?".  That's because the (lousy) Rigol documentation indicated that the Record events were solely triggered by time.  Nobody had any use for that.

For the few (very few?) who ever realized the captures were actually on an event basis, generated whenever the trigger conditions were satisfied, and the "Interval" was really just a Holdoff, we then ran smack into the constraint that the event you got was ALL that you got.  And by that I mean, no zoom in on X or Y axis, no panning, no nothing!  Just the one screen trace you got at the time.  That crippled it's value considerably, though not entirely.

"the big Nav knob and front panel VCR-like controls" are a bit  more convenient having dedicated controls, but provide no capability you don't already have.

Of course they do. The spring-loaded Nav knob has a thumb dial built into the end of it - so you can scroll through frames extremely fast with the knob and slowly (and smoothly) with the dial.

Yes, I know.  I've used jog/shuttle dials many times.  But while you're correct that they're not very common (I must have 8 or 9 scopes without them),  ATM I can think of only one of my scopes that does have it, which is an 8-channel Yokogawa.  And it does make moving through signal data far smoother and less aggravating.  But not so much so that I threw out my other 'scopes!  :D

Not only that, but one of my favorite features of the DS2000 (after having used the typical crappy multi-purpose knobs on the DS1052E, Owon SDS7102, and Hantek DSO5062B) is the fact that the Nav knob doubles as a second high-speed multi-purpose knob. So when you have some variable selected in a menu that has a huge range (like from 100ns to 10s), you don't have to spin the multi-purpose knob a million times to reach the end of the range, you can use the Nav knob instead, and just zip to any point in the variable range.

It also provides the same utility when scrolling in Delayed Sweep (Zoom) mode.

That IS very slick, but that problem could be mostly resolved just by making the knobs acceleration-variant.  Off-hand, I can't think of any of my scopes that aren't proportional to the rate of rotational speed of their knobs, except for Rigol.  They don't seem to have caught on to that one yet.  :(

And when they grabbed the idea of the big jog/shuttle & record/play/pause from the Inspector feature on Tek scopes, they should have also implemented a Search capability along with it.  ;)  Which would have been even more valuable than the nested knobs.

[Urg.  That turned out annoyingly long.]

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:53 am »
Yes, I've seen that comparison before, and should have mentioned back then that it's obviously incorrect.   :o  The 1000Z display region is 10% smaller than it should be.  Both in width and height.  So the pictorial comparison is misleading, since the area should be >20% larger.

How are you arriving at that conclusion? Do you have any real world data to back that up?

Sorry, you were correct - I went back and checked the file and the DS1000Z size was slightly off. I fixed it and posted the new comparison image.

Both have exactly the same 400 pixels vertically, to cram the horizontal traces in to.  So if you want to view them stacked, rather than overlaid, you have to reduce the amplitude sensitivity just as much on the 2000 as the 1000.

That's true. But there's also the issue of dot pitch. Looking at two equivalently-sized fonts on two screens of the same resolution - but different sizes - does not produce the same perception of detail. If it did, most of us would have a lot more desk space than we do.  ;)  BTW, this "problem" is acknowledged by Rigol as evidenced by the fact that they use a bigger (and uglier, IMHO) font on the DS1000Z series.

In any case, I don't think the difference in the two screen sizes is enough (by itself) to merit going for one DSO or the other. I just wanted to point out that it's not quite so cut and dry as 'they're both 800x480 pixel screens'.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:22:26 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:05:37 am »
I don't post in these threads generally but good grief Electro Fan, you have probably posted every day for the past 3 months about this Rigol 1000/2000. What on earth are you using them for???

---

Preamble - thanks to Marmad and Mark_O and others for your time and info helping to compare and contrast the 1000Z and 2000.

---

Hi marshallh,

I know it might seem like you "don't post in these in threads generally" but according to your forum stats you have posted over .97 times a day for over a year.

As for my interest in the learning the Rigol 1000/2000 similarities and differences, and what I'm using a scope for, that's fair to ask.  The short answer is “learning”.

The longer answer about what I'm using a scope for, what I'm trying to learn, and why I participate in the forum is something I’ve discussed previously with iDevice, LaurenceW, and others (who like many forum members here have been kind enough to share their knowledge and insights about various related matters - for which I'm definitely thankful and appreciative). 

Here’s my story, and I’m sticking to it:  I've had a pretty good theoretical understanding of the fundamentals of Information Technology (computing and networking) for a long time.  Over the last year I decided it was time to move from the theoretical to the hands-on.  To be square, part of the catalyst was the Arduino Uno R3 – it seemed like a very inexpensive and accessible way to gain a deeper hands-on experience with hardware and software.  Even more fundamental than the Arduino, one of the motivating factors in embarking on this journey was that I realized that test equipment had improved in price/performance/ease of use, etc to the point where I could begin to apply my theoretical understanding in a way that would allow me to very practically hypothesize and test.

So, I'm creating a small, simple lab just for the purpose of learning.  It's been like I've been reading about the mountains for many years but this is my first hands-on trip to the mountains.  The Arduino led to breadboards and components, then a power supply, then a DMM, and then a scope – that was more or less the sequence.  Altogether this stuff led to a somewhat efficient way of learning at the hands-on level.

(Although I realize that efficient might be subject to interpretation – you can look up my threads on my first attempts to figure out how to trigger a RS232 signal on an analog scope, or how to appreciate the subtle but practical difference between decoding a binary value and displaying a bit pattern that maps to the waveform using a DSO, and you’ll see that with some help from the many generous EEVers here within a matter of hours or days I went from numnuts to triggering and decoding.  Peanuts to some, gratifying for EE rookies.) 

Back to the journey’s mission, I'm especially interested in foundational matters such as Ohm's Law and the ability to visualize A to D and D to A techniques.  Obviously, of all the tools in a modest lab the oscilloscope is one of the most useful (along with the DMM, power supply, breadboards, components, wires, and cables, etc.).  So, the selection of the right scope was the focus of most of that three month or so period you seem to have been following.  Over the last few weeks I've had my first chance to actually use (rather than just read about) a Rigol scope (or any DSO) - the 1000Z.  I think as most people would recognize, reading the spec sheets, the manuals (however accurate and complete they might or might not be), and reading other users’ experiences is all valuable – but actually using a piece of equipment (and learning through the use of the equipment) is more tangible.

Most of what I've learned so far about the 1000Z is roughly what I had anticipated (thanks in large part to what I learned here at EEVb).  In fact, I'm happy to report that the 1000Z has in various respects exceeded my expectations.  But, I'm not completely wedded to the 1000Z and if I think the DS2000 (or some other scope) would be a better tool for my uses (which are strictly learning related) then I might find a way to acquire a different scope.  To be clear, I'm not trying to design or fix anything in particular, I'm just trying to build a very basic lab for learning; and learning about these two Rigol models including their similarities and differences has provided a window into all sorts of practical considerations. 

As for my forum posts, for anyone who wants to follow my line of learning and inquiries, that's cool.  If it bothers someone (as in "good grief Electro Fan") then I'd say just skip past the threads - no worries - but I think if you look at the Q&A between the various members here who have participated it would be hard to imagine any one person saying "I knew ALL that".  Heck, even Rigol doesn’t seem to know how to present with complete clarity what their models do or don’t do.  No doubt, some of the more experienced users of scopes (especially those who have owned one or several scopes for a long time) will have found the Rigol 1000/2000 discussion to be somewhere between elementary and boring.  I'd hope such users would just scan or skip the thread.  On the other hand, for users new to a DSO or for those trying to decide what entry level DSO is right for their uses I'm hopeful the threads have provided some info to help select a scope.  Surely, the discussion about the uses and relative merits of 2 channel vs. 4 channel scopes and the nuances of how to capture, view, navigate, and analyze signals and waveforms must have helped a few other people learn a few things - but again if not, I'd suggest just read the titles of the threads and if they aren't relevant, keep scanning until you find something that trips your trigger. 

FWIW, I've found the ability to learn to do simple things like set triggers and decode RS232 into binary, hex, ASCII, and decimal to be very informative and actually fun.  While this stuff is 101 basic, I have to believe in reading the posts from Marmad and some of the other pro's pros here that some of the nuances of scope functionality and user interfaces are interesting and meaningful enough that even some of the power users (perhaps those on a budget) might glean a useful nugget or two -- and definitely, in any event, the participation of the power users here is hugely valuable for those of us coming up the learning curve.  Further, and this might or might not be naïve, I think the Q&A by early and passionate adopters of new models of technology just might provide some feedback to the product managers of companies such as Rigol and Agilent and others.  If they see the types of questions that get discussed here they might possibly adjust their product roadmaps to address such interests and opportunities, or maybe they’ll at least work a little harder to provide better documentation.

In my case, I don’t think any thread I post here is going to change a product line much less the world, I’m just trying to select tools and learn to use the tools to in turn learn about analog and digital electronics. 

Personally, I think that EEVblog is attracting a tremendous cadre of people who have interests that in many cases go way beyond test equipment to the many intersections of analog and digital technologies which in turn bridge the realm from electrical engineering to IT.  I think modern test equipment has the potential to provide a more than ever affordable window for mankind into technologies that are shaping the present and future.  As a result, I would expect that this “Test Equipment” forum and EEVblog.com overall is going to see more and more users showing up with all manner of Q&A.  I realize this could cause some power users to say "uh oh - maybe we need to go find a quiet place to do our highly advanced or Nobel Prize winning work”.  That would be unfortunate, for sure – and definitely is not intended.  I'd simply say if a post doesn't make sense for someone's interests, ignore it.  Or stay in quickscan/read-only mode.  But if you can help someone figure something out and you have the interest and time, go for it.  Just my thoughts.  YMMV.  Hope that helps address your questions/comments.   EF 

PS, and now we return you to your regular programming on this channel:  DS2000 vs D1000Z record, playback, navigate, analyze, mask, etc. ??  :-+
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:37:22 am by Electro Fan »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:58 am »
Really?  You can't even imagine it?   ::) 
Figure of speech, my friend, figure of speech.  ;D

BTW, one other feature I don't see mentioned in the DS1000Z User Manual is the Measurement History. Does it exist on the DS1000Z? Perhaps it's hidden like the Event Table? It should be under the Menu invoked by the Measure button. What do you say, Electro Fan?

It's yet another feature that, while not necessary for basic work, really comes in handy some times.

Anyway, long story short - in the UltraVision line of scopes, the DS2000 has virtually every cool feature that it's much more expensive sibling, the DS4000, has. But this is clearly not the case for the DS1000Z.

So the question really boils down to whether those 2 extra channels are critical for you. If they are, then the added features (and free bandwidth) of the DS2000 won't make much difference to you. If not, IMO, the DS2000 seems a more powerful and fun DSO to work with.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:08:12 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:53:40 am »
BTW, one other feature I don't see mentioned in the DS1000Z User Manual is the Measurement History. Does it exist on the DS1000Z? Perhaps it's hidden like the Event Table? It should be under the Menu invoked by the Measure button. What do you say, Electro Fan?

It's yet another feature that, while not absolutely necessary for basic work, really comes in handy some times.

Anyway, long story short - in the UltraVision line of scopes, the DS2000 has virtually every cool feature that it's much more expensive sibling, the DS4000, has. But this is clearly not the case for the DS1000Z.

So the question really boils down to whether those 2 extra channels are critical for you. If they are, then the added features (and free bandwidth) of the DS2000 won't make much difference to you. If not, IMO, the DS2000 is a more powerful and fun DSO to work with.

marmad, I I don't see the Measurement History in the 1000Z.  There is a chance it's hiding somewhere and I just haven't found it (or maybe I can't see it because it got turned off when my trial options expired) but I think it would likely be part of the Measure button feature set (which seems to be totally standard rather than an option), so I'm betting it's a no-go on the 1000Z.  (If someone else finds the Measurement History on the 1000Z let us know.)

marmad, I definitely appreciate all you have done for this thread and the world's understanding of Rigol scopes in general and the DS2000 especially - and I don't want to exhaust you or anyone else around here with endless Q&A (although I find all these discussions to be a blast  :-+).  I think your summary is perfectly fit: 

"Anyway, long story short - in the UltraVision line of scopes, the DS2000 has virtually every cool feature that it's much more expensive sibling, the DS4000, has. But this is clearly not the case for the DS1000Z.

So the question really boils down to whether those 2 extra channels are critical for you. If they are, then the added features (and free bandwidth) of the DS2000 won't make much difference to you. If not, IMO, the DS2000 is a more powerful and fun DSO to work with."

So there is no really good answer for anyone who doesn't have a DS4000 budget.  You can either get the tool chest with the hammer and the saw or you can get the tool chest with the hammer and the screw drivers, but you can't get the tool chest with the hammer, saw, and screw drivers until you get the DS4000.  Maybe Rigol is even smarter than we give them credit for, and I think we have to give them a huge amount of credit.  They are more than wetting the appetite of every entry level scope user and they are building a funnel to the mid-market where they go toe to toe with Agilent.

(And at the next level there is still another aggravating product choice.  A DSO4000 or a MSO4000?  Rigol could make it easier on customers if you could buy a DSO4000 and then upgrade it to a MSO4000.) 

Net, net:  while this thread can't tell anyone which is more important:  the 4 channel DS1000Z or all the good stuff that comes with the DS2000, at least maybe it can help people understand what you might be missing if you go with the 4 channels.  It's an aggravating choice but at least it can be made now with better certainty.  (And any more insights on the trade-offs are still encouraged.)  Thx!  EF

- Rigol really should clean up their product manuals and also publish a clear and complete product comparison chart

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 10:59:25 am »
Net, net:  while this thread can't tell anyone which is more important:  the 4 channel DS1000Z or all the good stuff that comes with the DS2000, at least maybe it can help people understand what you might be missing if you go with the 4 channels.  It's an aggravating choice but at least it can be made now with better certainty.  (And any more insights on the trade-offs are still encouraged.)  Thx!  EF

Absolutely true.

- Rigol really should clean up their product manuals and also publish a clear and complete product comparison chart

Well, that's why we're here!  ;D   But seriously, you started this avenue of inquiry - perhaps you should create a thorough comparison chart for the UltraVision line and post it for easy access here?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 11:34:08 am »

Absolutely true.

Well, that's why we're here!  ;D   But seriously, you started this avenue of inquiry - perhaps you should create a thorough comparison chart for the UltraVision line and post it for easy access here?

Kind of reminds me of the guys sitting around after the party and one guy says "Who's going to clean up?"  The next guy says, "well, not me, I brought the beer."  And the next guy says, "not me, I brought the chips".  And the last guy says "not me, I ate the chips."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf