Author Topic: Brymen BM789 continuity tester response  (Read 2631 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BM789 continuity tester response
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2024, 05:17:54 am »
I have the Fluke 189 and I don't find it's continuity feature is anything special. Just the beep doesn't sound good to me.

Yes, it's a nasty sound. I think it's easier to hear in noisy environments though (might be why they did it).

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2024, 08:00:33 am »
I wonder why they can't just make beep being latching or non-latching a simple selection in the configuration menu.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2024, 08:19:33 am »
circuit design / implementation ? cost ?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2024, 08:49:47 am »
I agree. For me continuity must be instant otherwise I start to wonder whether the probes are plugged in OR which one of the past 5 points I tested actually had a short. In bench DMMs it gets even worse compared to handhelds. I've been looking at a whole bunch of these (including the ones from the A-brands!) and so far I have found only two with instant continuity: VC8145 and UNI-T UT8805E.

That's because bench meters usually do not use a dedicated multimeter chipset that has an optimised continuity function. It traditionally just uses the high resolution dual slope integrator and implements a software continuity function.
Newer ones are better:
The Keithley DMM7510 is instant and latched, but it's got this weird buzzer type sound which is kinda strange.
The Keysight 34470 is also instant and again latched and has a much nicer tone than the keithley.
I have the Keysight 34461 which is related to the 34470 but the continuity is still too slow for me. And I don't like the latching because you need to wait for the tone to stop before taking the next measurement. When measuring continuity I take 3 measurements: A-A A-B B-B to make sure the probes actually make contact and I want to do this quickly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf