Author Topic: DMM Recommendation Under $150  (Read 16606 times)

Offline antonioZthTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
DMM Recommendation Under $150
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:25:10 am »
Hi there peeps, :-DMM

Ok, I’m no EE, not an electrician and definitely not an electronic repair guy. I’m definitely not going near high voltages 1000v power box. :phew: I own 2 cheapies DMM which is crap, a 10 dollar and analog Sanwa ripoff I got for free last 18 years

But can anyone help me in deciding which of the DMM would be the best for my budget. I’ll be poking around small headphone audio amplifiers, headphones, computers, just small electronics mostly... The most I’ll be poking is maybe my computer PSU. :-/O

My shortlist;

Fluke 17b+ RM450 AX No Warranty
Uni-T 195DS RM590 AX No Warranty
Uni-T 71E RM600 Local 1yr Warranty
Mastech MS8218 RM550 AX No Warranty
BK Precision 2712 RM550 Mouser 1yr Warranty
Keysight U1231A RM549 Mouser 3yrs Warranty

Prices are in Malaysian Ringgit, AX is Aliexpress, Local is my local e-commerce portal and my local Mouser. Here we also have others such as Digikey, RS and element14 but mouser seems to have a cheaper pricing (I don’t know why)....But hey if there is any other Brands or Model you think I missed out, feel free to recommend it here too... :clap:

Thanks in advance :-+
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:32:06 pm by antonioZth »
Fluke ain’t no Fluke

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DMM Recommendation Help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:32:25 am »
When you want quality that will last, go for the Fluke or Keysight.

These are also top-notch regarding safety, in case you hit something like trying voltage measurement and the leads are attached to the current input...

The following users thanked this post: antonioZth

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:15 am »
Fluke 15B are pretty well priced if you can still find them and based on my totally trouble free experience for approaching 10yrs plus another 15 units I got at the same time for a customer they have proven to be great value for the $.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:15:17 am »
Note that U1231A does not measure current -- either DC or AC. Also doesn't do temperature - even though the plug has the thermometer icon - or non-contact voltage sense.

https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/7018-02915/data-sheets/5990-7550.pdf

Lo-Z voltage is nice for electrical work.

Maybe you can complement the U1231A with a UT210E to read current... being able to read DC current with a clamp meter is very convenient.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:49:18 am »

Sure, as long as you don't want any features.

These are also top-notch regarding safety, in case you hit something like trying voltage measurement and the leads are attached to the current input...

The Keysight on the shortlist doesn't even have a current input.  :scared:

If safety is a concern, look at Brymens. For Fluke17B+ money you can get something just as safe and well built with with a lot more capability. I don't know how easy it is to buy Brymens where you live.

If you want something that's capable but cheap at something like an Aneng 870 or Aneng Q10. Everybody here will scream about "safety" but you're unlikely to die from using one on household mains.

Notes:
a) If you haven't managed to kill yourself with an old analog meter or a $10 junker then you're very unlikely to kill yourself with an Aneng.
b) Safety isn't absolute. A more expensive meter isn't a substitute for good procedure - you can still kill yourself even with a Brymen/Fluke/Keysight.
c) Why are you even "measuring" mains? The voltage is very unlikely to be wrong, all you probably need is a "present"/"not present" indication and a meter with NVC functions like the Q10 can help diagnose most mains problems more safely than poking at bare wires with a probe in each hand.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 02:26:32 am »

BK Precision 2712 RM550 Mouser 1yr Warranty

That is the unit I'd likely go for from your list.   It has True RMS capability which is a golden feature in my mine.   Also it is accurate enough to replace you current meters.   

Some people are obsessed with features beyond the main ones on DVM's.   That is all well and good but many of those features are of limited use or capability.   For example capacitance measurement alone is not a replacement for an LCR meter and the functions they have.   Things like temperature monitoring is nice but often you don't want to tie up your meter while monitoring temperatures.   What I'm trying to get at is that an infinite list of features should not be the reason you buy a meter.   How useful a set of extended features is is debatable.

Also if you are doing a lot of repair work at a bench seriously consider getting a used or low cost bench meter instead.   They are far easier to use on the bench.   Obviously how exactly you work is a factor but you already have two portable meters so I'd seriously consider a bench meter.   It is a human factors thing, I just find bench meters to be more usable on the bench.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 03:47:53 am »
Consider adding a Fluke 117 to your list, it is not that much more expensive than some of the meters you have listed, has good ergonomics for one handed operation, and has proximity voltage detection, along with Lo Z voltage mode.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:51 am »
I'd second the BK Precision, except that it looks very expensive there compared to the others.  Here it can be had sub-$100.

Mastech is a brand that doesn't get much respect, but that meter actually looks pretty impressive for the same money.  No idea on quality, though.  My own cheapie Mastech has been OK....for $20.

Fluke 17B is basic, but otherwise good--but no warranty would make me want a bigger discount.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:58:37 am »

Sure, as long as you don't want any features.

The Keysight on the shortlist doesn't even have a current input.  :scared:

If safety is a concern, look at Brymens. For Fluke17B+ money you can get something just as safe and well built with with a lot more capability. I don't know how easy it is to buy Brymens where you live.

If you want something that's capable but cheap at something like an Aneng 870 or Aneng Q10. Everybody here will scream about "safety" but you're unlikely to die from using one on household mains.

Notes:
a) If you haven't managed to kill yourself with an old analog meter or a $10 junker then you're very unlikely to kill yourself with an Aneng.
b) Safety isn't absolute. A more expensive meter isn't a substitute for good procedure - you can still kill yourself even with a Brymen/Fluke/Keysight.
c) Why are you even "measuring" mains? The voltage is very unlikely to be wrong, all you probably need is a "present"/"not present" indication and a meter with NVC functions like the Q10 can help diagnose most mains problems more safely than poking at bare wires with a probe in each hand.

While the safety aspects have variable relevance based on user cases, quality is quality. This generally translates to high build quality which gives good durability and accuracy over very long periods of time.
To contextualise this, I have a Fluke 8300A (I know, it's a bench meter, not a handheld) which is a nixie display 5.5 digit meter and around 40 years old. It agrees to the LSD with my in cal 8840A

Granted though, the lack of current on the Keysight would be an automatic rejection for me.

Uni-T are much too variable in quality for my liking, it makes it a lottery as to what you end up with. I do like my 139C, but I rarely reach for it, unless I'm doing a sanity check if I get a weird reading off one of my other meters.

I'd agree Mastech may be underrated, they seem to be at least on a par with Uni-T re quality and safety. I have a 2108A current clamp and have found it to be both reliable and accurate.

Depending on where in MY the OP is, he might have an unreliable mains. As ever, YMMV.

I would say, please be careful poking your PC psu; the primary side will have very dangerous AC and DC voltages present when powered, and some of the hi-v caps may hold dangerous charge for some time after.

There's a useful thread here for comparing DMM features, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/, and it's worth checking if our resident meter abuser has reviewed the ones you're looking at, on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joeqsmith

Hope you find one that fits your wallet/use case!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 11:16:32 am »
While the safety aspects have variable relevance based on user cases, quality is quality. This generally translates to high build quality which gives good durability and accuracy over very long periods of time.

That's true, and the Fluke 17B+ is a good, solid meter.

OTOH it's deliberately crippled by Fluke to stop it from eating into sales of their expensive "western" meters, eg. it's not True RMS. That sort of thing really bugs me.

Granted though, the lack of current on the Keysight would be an automatic rejection for me.

I think everybody here will agree on that.

Uni-T are much too variable in quality for my liking, it makes it a lottery as to what you end up with. I do like my 139C, but I rarely reach for it, unless I'm doing a sanity check if I get a weird reading off one of my other meters.

This brings up a good point. One meter isn't enough, you need more than one for sanity checks, low resistance measurements, etc.

For that price of that Fluke 17B+ you can easily get a "safe" meter and an Aneng (or two) as well.

eg. Brymen 233

https://brymen.eu/shop/bm233/

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 12:49:01 pm »
Just had a look at the specs from Fluke-VAC is sadly crippled to up to 500Hz- better than nothing, but no "real" TrueRMS.

And well, had not looked up the 1231 from Keysight- I have the 1272A myself, and had tinkered with the thought to get a 123x or 124x as backup/2nd device, but mostly looked at the 12x2 models... :-(
Yes, electronics stuff without being able to measure small currents is no fun...
Question would be if some Keysight 1232 is affordable/available in the region?

Given that we talk asian region: Is this all what the local retailers have to offer? From brands in that region I would second the Brymen recommendation, also throw in Hioki as a reputable brand.

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 02:29:50 pm »
Thank you all for the replies :-DMM

The shortlist I scribbled was from setting a Budget for a meter around RM500-600 (USD124-149). Then I went to Mouser, RS, Element14, Digikey, Aliexpress and my local E-Commerce portal and start searching for a meter that suits my budget by sorting the multimeter meter page by price and start selecting it from there.

For the Fluke 17b+ if I were to buy from my local Fluke Official Store, it cost RM656 but if I were to get it shipped from China I can get it for around RM460 shipped a difference of USD49, which I think its better for me as I can direct the difference of price to get a supposedly better meter. If it were USD10 difference, maybe I can bite the bullet but RM200 is like 10% of my monthly basic salary so....yeah... buying from China would be better assuming The meter I get doesn’t have problem and genuine as I won’t be having a warranty.

The keysight was included because of the price, but for the functions n specs, I think it would be better getting another brand of meter unless I go higher up Keysight models..

For Brymens, I would either need to buy it from Ebay or from Brymen.eu because I can’t find it in the Mouser/Digikey/RS/Element14 and even Aliexpress... But there is alot of Extech and Beha Amprobe offerings though....But I don’t know how to find a rebranded Brymen from them as Flir and Fluke owns them.

Fluke ain’t no Fluke

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 02:39:55 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation but its 100% way off my budget... its RM1100 (USD273) sold here  :scared:

Fluke ain’t no Fluke

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 02:45:19 pm »
BK prices is cheaper at Mouser, but the 2712 fit nicely on my budget... higher tier ones costs alot more

Fluke ain’t no Fluke

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 03:01:56 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation but its 100% way off my budget... its RM1100 (USD273) sold here  :scared:

And it is made in....Malaysia!

Anyhow, the 117 wouldn't be a great fit for your intended use.  Its shortcomings include a screen that is difficult to read from certain (not extreme) angles and the lack of any temperature or milliamp ranges (the current is 10 amps only).  Even at half the price it wouldn't be the meter for you, IMO.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 08:21:35 pm »
With limited funds and minor requirements for electronic work, I would recommend the Fluke 101.
It is well made, safe and well priced.

I bought mine in KL from the Fluke shop on Jalan Pasar and walked out with a meter and a free Fluke Polo shirt. Bargain.

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
Hehe... Yes... Keysight, PLAYSTATION and XBOx too  :-DD

here we do actually make a lot of things which is considered a higher tier in a certain brand. Malaysia and Taiwan have a rep of being slightly better in terms of manufacturing but Taiwan wins in terms of producing mass finished products while here we make the components by reputable brands. Seiko mid tiers watches are made in JB which is south of Malaysia, Fluke factory is further up north, same with AMD and Intel, but the Playstation 5 and Xbox factory I can’t find where are they made.... Factories here doesn’t really state for what brands they are building... only when you managed to see it for yourself then you’re like “ooooooo here it is....” :scared:

Like for example Fluke... The 117 is made here but its lesser brother the 17B+ is made in China... Same goes for Keysights multimeters.... Although those high quality meters are made here the retail prices is on par or even higher elsewhere in the 1st world region... I don’t know the average salary of normal jobs in the US, but here salary from 1800 to 2500 is normal.... if you were to recommend me a USD250 fluke, its like half of my salary compared to someone in the US having a monthly salary of 2000, he’s just spending 250 dollars, which is only like 15%... :popcorn:
Fluke ain’t no Fluke

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 08:28:24 pm »
I’ll probably scrap the Keysight out from my list.... :-DMM For the budget I have, I don’t think it would be a good price to features ratio meter. I would be probably paying for the name instead of the functions  :-BROKE

Maybe i’ll settle with another good lesser name meters like Fluke with the 17b+  :-DD :-DD
Fluke ain’t no Fluke

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 08:35:30 pm »
To the OP:
If this meter is for stationary use, why not get a bench meter? These aren't very expensive (and no, a bench meter doesn't need to have 6 or more digits or fancy displays). For the kind you of work you stated above, I use a Vici VC8145. It costs around 606 Ringit, has a ton of features, big display and never needs batteries.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32867374120.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:11:41 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 11:40:40 am »
Good idea, but on second thought since is would be my only reliable meter, I would prefer it to be handheld so that I can use it anywhere. :scared:

Maybe for my second meter, I’ll consider bench multimeters.... :-DMM
Fluke ain’t no Fluke

• Contributor
  • Noob at Voltages
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 11:45:40 pm »
In short, get a meter with a good specs and accuracy rather than getting a multimeter with more functions and everything under the sink than it is accurate/reliable.  :-/O :-DMM

By the way is it just me or does this look like Brymen made?
Fluke ain’t no Fluke

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 11:57:45 pm »
In short, get a meter with a good specs and accuracy rather than getting a multimeter with more functions and everything under the sink than it is accurate/reliable.  :-/O :-DMM

That is Brymen for sure..

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: DMM Recommendation Fluke vs Agilent vs Brymen 😀
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 01:51:51 am »
One thing I forgot to mention, don't dismiss the value of a warranty.   I was kinda shocked that your are even considering no warranty devices.   Like many of use a too expenditure like this is nontrivial and you want to make sure the manufacture will back it up if it has issues upon arrival.   Infant mortality is still a real issue with electronics and as such you want to have the ability to make a warranty claim if needed.    I'm not sure How I forgot that in my previous post.   

As for bench meters, I still think they are a good idea even if you might need portability, mainly due to being "easier to use" on the bench.   However if you are willing to consider a low end bench meter like the https://octopart.com/72-1055-tenma-18849119 or TENMA 72-1055 you can get portability and bench niceness.   I seem to remember that there is more than one of these bench style meters with built in battery support on the market, so maybe a bit of searching is in order.   More elaborate bench meters can be used in the field but you do need an extension cord.   I go this route at work if something needs calibration.

If you do go handheld consider making a cradle to hold the meter.   Something with a bit of mass so that the meter doesn't tip over constantly or slide around on you.   This would position the display nicely and keep the meter from walking when changing ranges or otherwise manually adjusting it.    I suggest this because the kickstands that come with most meters are just about useless.   Unless of course using the meter on its side appeals to you.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 02:15:27 am »
Loks like BM257s on the left and BM252s on the right.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 11:38:42 am »
One thing I forgot to mention, don't dismiss the value of a warranty.   I was kinda shocked that your are even considering no warranty devices.

Math: When a "warranty" makes the device cost much more then it's often a worthwhile risk.

The same goes for buying parts on Aliexpress or eBay: Some people find it completely unacceptable to ever get bad parts. I figure I'm paying half price so even if one in three purchases goes wrong then I'm still ahead in the long term.

(and it's nowhere near that high, more like 1 in 50, and every time I get at least a partial refund).

With limited funds and minor requirements for electronic work, I would recommend the Fluke 101.
It is well made, safe and well priced.

No current measurement or TrueRMS. And horrible leads.

But ... a Fluke 101 plus an Aneng is a good combination to own. Use the Fluke for poking at dangerous stuff and double-checking the Aneng, use the Aneng for everything else.

With $100 you can get Fluke101 + Aneng870 + a reasonable set of gold plated test leads.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf