Author Topic: Who cuts all the cables when removing test equipment????.........  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
Re: Who cuts all the cables when removing test equipment????.........
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2024, 12:17:49 pm »
In my country (Spain) it is mandatory to remove (cut) the power cables from the appliances prior to disposal.
Workers at official disposal points advise you to cut all other cables connected to those appliances.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 12:19:34 pm by Calambres »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2024, 02:30:23 pm »
It's not just non-technical people who do this.  For some cable television technicians, they do service de-installations by simply cutting the coax near the tap instead of unscrewing the F-connector.
I understand that. Those F connectors are a PITA, with corrosion causing the thread to jam. Why bother with the risk of a problem occurring, when you can get away with a simple snip?
Cut, then remove with deep socket drive - that's the easiest and proper way to deal with corroded connectors in my experience(OK, maybe add some weasel piss  >:D :-DD).

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2024, 03:43:21 pm »
They do you a favour by preserving the panel connectors and keep them from damage  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2024, 07:57:54 pm »
It's good practice in automotive salvage, always nice to have free pigtails and none of the connectors chewed up. Nobody is pulling a body harness so no harm in cutting on that side.

For used test gear it seems a little crude, but presumably you're paying bottom dollar if it was uninstalled junkyard parts picker style.

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2024, 10:32:48 am »
In my country (Spain) it is mandatory to remove (cut) the power cables from the appliances prior to disposal.

Interesting.  I haven't bought any appliances in the EU / UK lately, but in the "old days" I seem to recall that you also had to also attach the power cable when you bought them.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2024, 01:39:55 pm »

Interesting.  I haven't bought any appliances in the EU / UK lately, but in the "old days" I seem to recall that you also had to also attach the power cable when you bought them.
Those old days are long gone.

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2024, 02:04:51 pm »
Removing properly takes quite a bit of time, you cannot just pull these out. If your task is removing the equipment as fast and cheap as possible, that's pretty much what you'll do. Also entities that are removing and reselling/recycling/disposing this stuff most likely have different priorities.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 02:06:42 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf