Author Topic: DIY Logic Analyzer Probe and Pods for Siglent (and LeCroy) scopes  (Read 73215 times)

Offline Wahyueko

• Contributor
Re: DIY Logic Analyzer Probe and Pods for Siglent (and LeCroy) scopes
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2023, 06:40:00 pm »
The pcb arrived, it's not compatible with MSO5000 Tektronix, hehe.
now I'm trying to measure the dimensions of the pcb and the plate in it. all have 40 pins. after I measured it looked like there was indeed a 16-pin signal. 17pin Ground, 1pin NC, 2 pins I measured to gnd the resistance read 110Ohm BDV 0.1V, and 4 pins resistance to ground 10k Ohm BDV 0.58V. and I try to make it again. I don't know what the 2 pins and 4 pins are for and 1 NC pin.

Offline Uppic

« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2023, 10:46:54 am »
Hi, I have recently retired and taken up my hobby. They gave me a PM3885 that was cornered in a storage room, but without cables. The question is, could this pod probe serve me for the Philips PM3585. thank you very much to all.

Offline oz2cpuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #202 on: May 01, 2023, 10:56:40 am »
>could this pod probe serve me for the Philips PM3585.

NO
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.
youtube : oz2cpu teardown

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2023, 05:18:21 am »
This question is not specifically about the DIY version (have one ordered), but this thread has the most SPL2016 info/knowledgable.

If one wanted a dedicated 2x8 or 1x10 IDC pcb connector, to plug the SPL2016 LA cable directly,

What termination/passives are needed to match the pod/flying lead assembly - if anything?

I measure 91R series resistance, for the pod/flying leads. 

Note, Siglent support this configuration when direct connecting their LA test generator board (see Defpom http://youtu.be/X_cVpH7GLtI?t=88 ).

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2023, 12:02:18 pm »
I found a close-up pic of the Siglent pattern generator that supports a directly connecting to a pcb idc header. There don't appear to be any passives used near the connector.

Offline teddychn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2023, 04:20:45 am »
Rob,

Thanks for the data, here's what we came up with as a quick estimate model of the LA. The Digital Input pulse was manipulated to try and create what we think the actual pulse to the LA looks like, and show the offset as shown on your DSO measured trace above.

The Digital Probe wire self inductance is based upon 200 & 150mm of #26 AWG wire, the 1100mm coaxial cable (shown as twisted pair in schematic) is modeled as having a Zo of 45 ohms and delay of 6.1ns based upon a velocity factor of 60%. Later we'll need to see how the twisted pair cable (and ribbon) rather than the coaxial cable effects these simulations.

Hi Mike,

This thread is informative. I'm trying to adapt my existing 54622D logic probe to SDS2104X HD and conduct some simulations concurrently. However, I'm not sure what R1 and C2 in your simulation represent. Have you already known the impedance model of the SDS2000X Plus/HD logic port?

Thanks,
Ted

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2023, 01:16:05 pm »
Rob,

Thanks for the data, here's what we came up with as a quick estimate model of the LA. The Digital Input pulse was manipulated to try and create what we think the actual pulse to the LA looks like, and show the offset as shown on your DSO measured trace above.

The Digital Probe wire self inductance is based upon 200 & 150mm of #26 AWG wire, the 1100mm coaxial cable (shown as twisted pair in schematic) is modeled as having a Zo of 45 ohms and delay of 6.1ns based upon a velocity factor of 60%. Later we'll need to see how the twisted pair cable (and ribbon) rather than the coaxial cable effects these simulations.

Hi Mike,

This thread is informative. I'm trying to adapt my existing 54622D logic probe to SDS2104X HD and conduct some simulations concurrently. However, I'm not sure what R1 and C2 in your simulation represent. Have you already known the impedance model of the SDS2000X Plus/HD logic port?

Thanks,
Ted

Hi Ted,

These (R1 and C1) were used to attempt to mimic the Siglent response tautech had shown earlier, check the thread prior to the one this schematic originated from. You can see the simulated response and compare to the one tautech posted.

We used twisted pair for the signal lines and later just ribbon cable, recall both worked well for our needs, memory's not that good tho  ???

Anyway, at one time we were going to "tweak" the component values for optimum response but never needed to do such, as it worked well enough for our needs right from the start as shown, so we've never revisited this since.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: teddychn

Offline teddychn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2023, 05:35:27 am »
Thanks Mike,

After some trials, I found that the cable length has a significant impact because the transmission line impedance doesn't perfectly match the LA's input impedance. I'm starting by inserting a 75-ohm resistor at the front end of the microstrip line of the adapter. I feel the front end resistor of the LA adapter in your picture seems to be ferrite beads, am I right?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2023, 01:28:03 pm »
No ferrite beads were used, just R and Cs I recall.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: teddychn

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2023, 02:17:47 pm »
I bought one of the DIY type LA probes on eBay for $40 shipped. It worked great in the Batronix MSO board tests. I assume the seller is a member of this site.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2023, 03:10:43 pm »
Likely copies of Thomas (oz2cpu) original work, not sure if authorized or not. As clock speeds increase the details of the probe begin to show, this includes the type and nature of the cables utilized. These are improper terminated cables on both ends, either coaxial, twisted pair, or ribbon type with SGSG configuration.

Tautech kindly provided what the OEM Siglent Probes waveforms looked like, so we attempted to duplicate that performance blindly, meaning not knowing about the details inside the DSO case, and created a model for what we "thought" might be a good representative, proof being did the simulation waveform resemble the tautech provided actual waveform.

So we created our version based upon this and planned to "tweak" the component values and such to optimize the performance. We never got around to this optimization tho, as the 1st cut performed well enough for our needs at the time, and we haven't had a need to revisit this for improved behavior.......yet  ;)

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh, teddychn

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2023, 04:58:20 pm »
So we created our version

Gonna share? 😉
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2023, 11:20:57 pm »
So we created our version

Gonna share? 😉

All listed within this thread ;)

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2023, 02:01:03 am »
Likely copies of Thomas (oz2cpu) original work, not sure if authorized or not.

Well, now that I've read the thread, I know who the seller was. It did work well on the MSO demo board. 🤷

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2023, 02:10:45 am »
These (R1 and C1) were used to attempt to mimic the Siglent response tautech had shown earlier, check the thread prior to the one this schematic originated from. You can see the simulated response and compare to the one tautech posted.

We used twisted pair for the signal lines and later just ribbon cable, recall both worked well for our needs, memory's not that good tho  ???

Anyway, at one time we were going to "tweak" the component values for optimum response but never needed to do such, as it worked well enough for our needs right from the start as shown, so we've never revisited this since.

Best,
Now I have new and better SMD tweezers (ST42) I can do these measurements again if required including mainboard input measurements on a warranty replacement board.
Maybe these is a termination network there too that could help with a better match.

Tell me what you need.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline teddychn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2023, 10:02:06 am »

Maybe these is a termination network there too that could help with a better match.

You're very possibly right. Here's the information in the 54622D manual:

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2023, 05:14:53 pm »
I want to build oz2cpu's version intended version of this. Is there a limitation to the length of the wires used? And what's the best wire for use with this?

Thanks,
Josh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2023, 07:55:11 pm »
I want to build oz2cpu's version intended version of this. Is there a limitation to the length of the wires used? And what's the best wire for use with this?
OEM are 1M long 8ch pairs of micro-coaxial ribbon cable.

Find one from another brand and modify it as Defpom did here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-logic-analyzer-probe-and-pods-for-siglent-scopes/msg3691729/#msg3691729

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2023, 11:47:33 pm »
Has anybody tried shielded ethernet cable? It's 4 sets of twisted pairs (2 per pod). Cat6A is rated up to 500MHz. Regular Cat6 is rated 250MHz, and Cat7 and Cat6E are rated for 600MHz. Cat8 is rated for 2GHz. Aren't all of those beyond the capability of the DIY adapter?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 03:05:04 am by KungFuJosh »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2023, 10:11:09 am »
Hi,
I´ve bought the original SPL2016 and post it in the Siglent HD thread, with pics.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hd-12bit-(published-for-chinese-domestic-market-only)/msg4997911/#msg4997911

Quote from: In this thread
Now you must do a battle with the clone version.

Clone version...I don´t know a clone version(where to buy), but If I can help finding things out I´ll do (except opening something).
Got the STB-3 demoboard and the batronix demoboard here, if I should measure something with them, let me know. 8)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2023, 05:25:15 am »
Clone version...I don´t know a clone version(where to buy), but If I can help finding things out I´ll do (except opening something).

The files (gerbers and 3D print) are available in the first post of this thread. Another project for you to build. 😉

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2023, 06:31:12 am »
I bought my clone on ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/225024212937
arrived in france in a few weeks.
at that kind of price I did not bother to build my own.

oh and there was some delay in the shipping, the item seemed to be stuck somewhere
the seller was very kind and responsive.

the hooks are some kind of first price one, but they work. you can buy better one eventually.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 06:34:36 am by kripton2035 »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2023, 02:52:39 pm »
I received the PCBs, but I'm having issues with the 3D parts.

JLC is giving an under 1mm thickness warning for the parts. Did anybody else have that issue? Is that correct, or is there something wrong with their system or the 3D models?

Thanks,
Josh

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2023, 03:06:06 pm »
Got the same message from the 3D parts of the voltage reference (not the heater case).
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2023, 03:35:21 pm »
Got the same message from the 3D parts of the voltage reference (not the heater case).

Me too, that's partly why I'm concerned. I hope it's not a design file compatibility issue with JLC.

Did you get the parts in yet?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 03:39:08 pm by KungFuJosh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf