Author Topic: DIY budget auto test oscilliscope and current clamp  (Read 322 times)

daheee and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online daheeeTopic starter

DIY budget auto test oscilliscope and current clamp
« on: Yesterday at 11:47:43 am »
Looking for opinions on my choice.

I'd like a scope for diagnosing issues with my vehicles. I also need a current meter that goes up to 200 amps capable of testing the starter, etc. I am a newbie with this stuff.

Here's what I was thinking of:

OWON CP024 DC AC Current Probe for Digital Storage Oscilloscope 4A to 400A Bandwidth 200kHz 23mm Jaw Three-Gear Current Clamp

And

OWON VDS1022(I) PC Digital PC Oscilloscope.

These two items will run me roughly $350. I considered the uscope master kit from aeswave, but it lacks the higher amp current probe. I'd like something reliable - I don't want to waste my money on junk and I lack the skills to improve or fix issues.

I'm fine with using a bench scope too. And I'm fine with buying used.

Are my current picks good? Or should I consider other options?

Offline jal1234

• Contributor
Re: DIY budget auto test oscilliscope and current clamp
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:13:45 pm »
For automotive use, you'd be better off with Martin Loren's Hscope app on an Android phone or tablet, and his HS502 or HS512 scope. Depending on settings, those scopes are up to 12 bit with very low noise. Hscope is a very friendly pure Android app. You can find it on the Android playstore, and can use it in demo mode. The HS502 and HS512 come with licenses for the basic scope and automotive mode pre-installed. There is a very active group on Telegram, and Martin regularly checks in. App improvements are constant.
Martinloren.com is his website.

There are also many videos on YouTube. Just search on Hscope. Some good posters of videos are:
The Gadget playlist
Martin Loren
and Ravifix.

Do a search on Telegram for Hscope and Hscope Automotive

Jon

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:15:21 pm »

I have bad experiences with android apps in the past, to the extent I don't use android anymore. Android only software smells, it should at least support Windows or Linux.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:36:25 pm »
Can't I use a clamp meter, from say, Fluke, and connect it to an oscilloscope?

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:05:57 pm »
You can use any clamp which outputs volts.

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:31:51 pm »
You can use any clamp which outputs volts.

Pretend I am 2.

An example would be greatly appreciated, so that I don't make a mistake and buy the wrong stuff.

Offline tatel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:17:32 am »
Since most cars have an OBD2 connector anyway, I guess it's pretty moot to think about needing a laptop (as in using an USB scope like the Owon) since you are going probably to have a laptop nearby.

I would care about how rugged the scope is, having recessed inputs is not a bad thing. I have seen some thread from an automotive guy having problems about  protruding BNCs losing contact with the board from mechanical damage. IIRC, newer models of the FNIRSI 1013D have recessed connectors. FNIRSI 1013 are infamous for bench work but for automotive work they are good enough. The Owon you speak about is better and probably even cheaper than the FNIRSI 1013, but does not have recessed connectors and needs to be used with a laptop. Pick your poison.

It seems pretty much *any* oscilloscope is good enough to do automotive work (mechanical ruggedness aside) , even those that fall into the "toy" category. So choosing that Owon isn't a bad decision. You could go even cheaper I think. But you want at least two channels.

Here's a video showing how to use a FNIRSI 1013 and a clamp:

https://youtu.be/lWM8zxaC4XI

A couple threads about this matter:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-recommendation-426883/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/mains-powered-oscilloscope-for-automotive-testing/msg5578373/#msg5578373

Hope this helps

« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:39:59 am »

Thanks. I have read thru some threads.

At this time, I am trying to determine what clamp to get. The owen I am sure will work, but I'd rather get a Fluke if one can be had for a similar price.

So the Fluke, for example Fluke 323 Clamp Meter , will have bananna leads. I think I can get an adapter for that. I am just not certain if this will work or work well.

« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:58:44 am »

This is what i was thinking of:

I thought maybe it's possible to do that with the Fluke 323, and an adapter convert to bnc to go into the OWEN scope.

« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:25:27 am »
Nevermind. Those are inputs only.

So I'd need a Fluke i410 if I wanted to use a Fluke.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf