Author Topic: DHO800/DHO900 suggestions thread  (Read 2546 times)

Online FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DHO800/DHO900 suggestions thread
« on: October 13, 2023, 07:47:50 pm »
I made this thread to keep "would be nice" out if the "definitely needs fixing!" thread.

Here's the continuation of this:

BTW, this style of slider looks like "slide left to enable" (the upper one) and "slide right to disable" (the lower one). This could be confusing.

FIXED

I'd put "ON" to the left but that's just me.

What about this? A fine example of "when you only have a hammer"?

Bring back the radio button, I say!

the checkbox is already a relic.

If it ain't broke...

The best part is that they have checkboxes:

• Super Contributor
Re: DHO800/DHO900 suggestions thread
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 08:04:15 pm »
I'd put "ON" to the left but that's just me.
As well as many others. But oh why didn’t I thank Serg65536's post?

I was thanking the "This could be confusing." part.

I wasn't implying "these new UI elements would be awesome if they could only get them right" part.

My thinking: If a choice is yes/no then a left/right slidey thing makes no sense to me.

The only time a positional thing works for me is when both options are visible simultaneously, eg.:

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 08:08:39 pm »
I wasn't implying "these new UI elements would be awesome if they could only get them right" part.
My thinking: If a choice is yes/no then a left/right slidey thing makes no sense to me.

Have you used a phone lately? One of these newfangled models with a touch screen?  ;)

Slide switches whenever there is a "yes/no" or "on/off" selection to make. @UK is right, that ship has sailed and the checkbox is on its way out.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 08:10:05 pm »
I grok the argument that a UI looks neater if you have two vertical columns with labels and UI elements as in your example:

I'm not a fan of the on/off element but I don't have a much better alternative. People will figure it out.

That wasn't the case in the example I posted originally though:

Now you're going to say the word "Label" should be underneath a UI thingy To match "Units" and "coupling". I say they should be above it to match the ones at the top of the same dialog.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 08:20:33 pm by Fungus »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 08:12:57 pm »
Agree that Rigol's choice of slider switch graphics is an unfortunate one. It it bulky, takes up too much space, and is not easily recognized. It's not the Android standard choice either, I think.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 08:17:20 pm »
Slide switches whenever there is a "yes/no" or "on/off" selection to make. @UK is right, that ship has sailed and the checkbox is on its way out.

And Rigol just invented a whole new one!

Offline UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 08:31:35 pm »

If I were sure that Rigol would pay any attention to this thread, I would definitely take some of my time to fix those screens with a slight redesign. Since I really like the idea of the central diagram.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 09:04:00 pm »
If I were sure that Rigol would pay any attention to this thread, I would definitely take some of my time to fix those screens with a slight redesign. Since I really like the idea of the central diagram.

The diagram part works really well and the Trigger/Acquisition/Measure buttons on the right take you nicely to other parts of the UI.

You can touch the little switches to select DC/AC/GND and slide the entire thing left to go to channel 2/3/4.

Apparently the "Probe" button on the left has been replaced in the new firmware. On mine it goes to a dialog with just a single dropdown for 1x/10x/100x/etc. on it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 09:06:25 pm by Fungus »

Offline UK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 09:46:49 pm »

I couldn't resist making everything properly alignment and a bit cleaner.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 09:56:33 pm »
I just noticed this in the I2C setup:

I 100% definitely prefer the radio buttons to the stuff above/below them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:03:19 pm by Fungus »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 09:58:10 pm »
A radio button with only two options. Framed by a good handful of the switches they use everywhere else. Oh well...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 10:42:31 pm »
Just need a dropdown with only two options being On and Off for the trifecta.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 10:52:01 pm »
The other big suggestion would be to make the DHO00/900 sidebar work like the DHO1000/4000 sidebar with name/value on the same line:

DHO800 with a LOT of wasted space (literally half the sidebar is just gray space):

DHO4000 (much more compact vertically, can fit more than 1 stat on screen):

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:53:47 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: KedasProbe

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 12:10:08 am »
Radio buttons and checkboxes are much better than the large "switches" especially when you have a complex UI that apparently needs a ton of them.

Just because Android phone UIs typically use "Fisher Price" GUI controls doesn't mean they are the right thing for a complex instrument.  Phone apps generally have fewer options than an oscilloscope.  And when phones do have many on/off choices, they use scrolling to navigate the list of switches.  It doesn't look to me like Rigol have used scrolling anywhere (am I wrong about this?).  Maybe they should, but I'd guess that would make things worse - both for usability and discoverability.  With an oscilloscope you are often changing these settings for each measurement you want to do.  Phone apps usually have their settings accessed infrequently.

And if you're going to go with those huge switch controls, what's with the idea that left should be "on" and right should be "off"?  That's the exact opposite of Android's Material Design standard on/off switch control.  It would make this device's UI jarring and confusing for most users since it would be the opposite of every other device they use.  It's one thing Rigol got right - don't ask them to change that.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2023, 06:10:31 am »
Radio buttons and checkboxes are much better than the large "switches" especially when you have a complex UI that apparently needs a ton of them.

There obviously is some personal taste involved here. I do agree that the switch shape which Rigol chose is too large, and not immediately recognizable as a switch. Both, Android and iOS, tyically use the much smaller, rounded shapes, with a circular "handle" -- more layout-friendly and more obvious.

I strongly disagree with the use of radio buttons in place of a simple on/off switch. Radio buttons are for "1 out of N" selections, with N>2, in my book.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2023, 07:46:24 am »
It's a pity that Rigol removed the Measurement history table and the possibility to have a graphical display (vs time) of it that I quite frequently use on their legacy scopes. They gave us histograms that may be considered as a partial replacement but to understand and document trending of a measurement, they are not suitable.

My suggestion would be to make measurements data available as source to the math engine and have a separate "operation" "show vs time" with an adjustable (slow) scale. Now this would be something! Same as arbitrary math operations, but I guess these would be limited to higher range instruments.

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2023, 09:22:46 am »
Find a way to not use max. power consumption all the time.
You also want it to be more silent when you are not using it, then you will keep it on.

Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2023, 09:46:03 am »
Find a way to not use max. power consumption all the time.
You also want it to be more silent when you are not using it, then you will keep it on.

Sure. And please find a way to enlarge the screen to 10" while you are at it, Rigol!  ;)

Offline JOSM

• Contributor
Option to work with just one set of cursors
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2023, 11:35:58 am »
Currently for cursor measurents both horizontal and veritcal cursors are shown.
An option to disable/hide vertical or horizontal cursors would be a nice feature.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, RAPo, Screengrid

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 03:54:02 pm »
I strongly disagree with the use of radio buttons in place of a simple on/off switch. Radio buttons are for "1 out of N" selections, with N>2, in my book.

Agree.  For on/off I'd suggest a checkbox when screen space is at a premium.  If space isn't an issue, then a standard on/off slider is OK (but personally, I'd still think a checkbox would do the trick just fine)

Offline calabr

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2024, 04:47:37 am »
Hello everyone!
  I'm brand new user of DHO924.
 First impression - it's great small, but capable hobby/education class machine. If I get information from this forum before I bout it - probable I'll choose DHO914S
  First impression is always critical and easily highlights usage gaps.
  My suggestion is:
  1. It's a lot of waisted space on the screen - it's not so small, but lot's of space waisted with useless borders - in my calc - near 3% horizontally and 6-7% vertically just waisted.
   2. window-type interface isn't fit instrument-like interface. Why I cannot place math traces on the same screen, as main channels? In most cases I want to compare channel input with calculation on other signals - it should be configurable how to present match results. Again, window borders usually just waist space rather than show additional info.
   3. Fan noise really annoying - taking in account constant power consumption in any mode - they just switched off all power saving features - probable to get better real-time response, but why we need acquisition and real-time calculation for example in single trigger mode? Suggests to switch off ADC after capture - it will not influence any functionality, but save power, especially if try to use scope with power bank.
   4. Text label size should be configurable
  Overall impression - MSO5000 screen stile much more useful.

Found errors:
    First run of cursors after switch ON always show maximum brightness. only after visiting display settings it's become as it where set.
    Window transparency did not remembered in settings.
     Navigation function works very strange  :-// - in "time" mode - step time not indicated
     Search on/off switch located on the second layer of config - If I'm switch it on, than close this window - navigation arrow disabled, but screen still showing zoom and search events points.  To switch off this screen, need to activate navigation again, go to search and switch it off.
     Only screen buffer seems to be searched - even in Stop mode.
     To search the edge - threshold value restricted on strange level - full screen 0-3V, trigger at 2.8V, but search threshold is restricted to 361mv, no matter what edge to search.
    Hope RIGOL will read it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf