Author Topic: Inexpensive electronic loads (KP184): any experience?  (Read 807 times)

Online tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Inexpensive electronic loads (KP184): any experience?
« on: January 30, 2022, 07:32:36 pm »
I'm looking to get an electronic load to test some power supply designs.

My requirements are min: 80V DC input, 200W dissipation, 40A minimum current limit, and ideally with CC and CP modes, bonus would be CR as well but I don't think I'd get much use out of it.  Programmability is a plus, so I don't just want a big resistor in a bucket of water.

I could a new generic unit for about £150 but performance/reliability is a concern. 

For example: "KUNKIN KP184" is £160 on eBay and seems to meet my requirements, has anyone used this?

I was watching a TTi LD300 on eBay - but it sold for almost £300 which seems a bit steep for now (for my projects!)

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: Inexpensive electronic loads (KP184): any experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 08:35:55 pm »
I have used KP184 as load for higher power (400W or 40A) devices. CC, CV, CR, CP modes work, user interface is pretty clear. Unit performs well, I am satisfied. Under load fan increases speed smoothly, but is newer loud. It can handle 400W for long periods no problem, cooling is fine. One time it went into overpower protection, turn-on/off reset that (high power PSU was connected and I approached max power with V*I).

Few points of concern - back screws are connected to (+), isolate those with tape. Inside I would recommend to isolate heatsink from case with tape. Also, scrape paint on metal case near screws to get grounding connection.
On/off switch can be routed to front panel, as by default it is on back panel.

There are few threads on KP184 on the forum, search around - generally good impressions, drawback is small ripple current (of ~10mA order) with lower loads. For 40A use that doesn't matter.

KP184 has great value for money. ET5410 and DCL6104 have almost the same construction (not a copy, but different implementation) with similar features and slightly higher cost, but have LCD display instead on 7-segment LED. With your requirements, mostly >=40A, other options starts at 3-4x price.

Online Hydron

• Super Contributor
Re: Inexpensive electronic loads (KP184): any experience?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 08:58:48 pm »
300 quid sounds fair for a name-brand load in good second hand condition tbh, but yeah not trivial for a hobby purchase.

If you want to avoid the aliexpress/banggood specials, then CPC do a sharply priced rebrand of a Korad KEL103, 30A max only though: https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-13210/dc-electronic-load-prog-30a-120v/dp/IN07979

Otherwise yeah, Kunkin/Dingchen/Easttester seem to be the cheapest options that are at least real bench units rather a bare PCB with a PC CPU heatsink on it (the cheapest type).
I personally went with a Dingchen unit due to the availability of a 500V option, a power switch on the FRONT (I think Kunkin has it on the back??) and non-live screws. If I could I would have spent a bit more for the KEL103 to get sense terminals, LAN connection and likely better quality/support, but it wasn't an option for 500V. The Kunkin/Dingchen/Easttester options all tell some lies in the datasheet, especially around transient modes (don't count on these actually working properly) and have various minor noise issues (on the mA level, I made a significant improvement to mine by fixing some poor PCB ground layout), but I suspect any of them will work fine for non-precision CC/CV use at least (CR and CP may give you some fun - you can run into oscillation depending on what you're loading).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf