Author Topic: Design a New Precision LCR Tweezers with Much Lower Cost 【Shannon Tweezers ST42】  (Read 142917 times)

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
Many people just don't trust small measurement instruments.
Then they lack experience.  :P
Or have an other size-related complex  ^-^

The following users thanked this post: tautech, KungFuJosh

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
There is a mechanical limit to this type of measuring device, that's just the way it is and if you keep pushing it...
Well, what was that again about experience? ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Sparrow

Hello,

I tried to join the club, unfortunately I'm unable to order it on Aliexpress... :-\
I always have the message below that saying promotion price sales  is reached ...
 Not very clear, nothing indicated on product page.
Does anybody encounter this issue ?
Regards.

Frex
Thanks for your support.
Have you tried contacting customer service?

I occasionally get these failed purchase questions, but I can't figure it out.
Because I can't place an order with my account, or even access the site from your perspective.
Aliexpress is a Chinese company that provides services to many countries and regions, but not China.

I can also ask customer service for you, but usually, they invest more in their customers than the merchants, and they will provide better support for your feedback.
Anyway, I will report your problem to customer service, and hope they can figure out what the hell is wrong with their platform |O

In June, when Aliexpress had a good coupon offer, I tried to buy the ST42 with curved tips because the coupon reduction in price was too tempting to pass up.
My order was immediately cancelled. :(
This was the excuse - "This order has been closed because you've used the same coupon/code or purchased the same discounted item under a different registered account. This is in violation of AliExpress transaction regulations. Please order again without a previously used coupon/code or discounted item. "
None of that is true. Totally bogus excuse. >:(

I tried ordering again and the same thing happened.
Six times my order was cancelled. >:D
I could not remove the coupon either, if that was the problem.
It may have been something to do with the currency of ST42 being in dollars and the coupon in GBP? - I don't know.
I contacted Aliexpress to try and resolve it, but got no sense out of them. Never resolved it. >:(

And since then, the curved tips option is unavailable.
So I still don't have an ST42.
Maybe it's a sign, telling me that I don't need an ST42.

When might the curved tips option  be available again?
And I know you wouldn't be able to provide me with the same kind of coupon/discount that I missed out on, would you? ;)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
IIRC the coupon you were trying to use didn't apply to the tweezers, and that's what messed up the order. If it's not Shannon's coupon, it won't work.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline Sparrow

IIRC the coupon you were trying to use didn't apply to the tweezers, and that's what messed up the order. If it's not Shannon's coupon, it won't work.

It was an Aliexpress general coupon. The trouble is, it seemed to be automatically applied to the order and I could not remove the coupon. There was no mechanism to order without it.
And Aliexpress were not helpful.

Offline Frex

• Regular Contributor
Hello,

I fully agree with you Sparrow.
I had the same problem as you, impossible to order the ST42 after many attempt
and much time with their costumer support (percectly useless).
Never had any issue with my several previous orders.

As reseller, Shannon tried itself kindly to help me to solve this with them,
 but no more luck !
If it's so difficult for many (?) people to order it by this mean,
maybe it would be a good idea to have other buying channels ?..

I finally myself gave up the idea to get get one and I ordered (very easily btw)
 the FINSRI LCR-ST1 for 30€. I think this would do the job anyway.

Frex

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
You could ask @tautech about getting them from him. He's a reseller for Shannon. AliExpress is the problem in those cases.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
This is simply unbelievable.....
People want to buy, but are being hindered.
Shannon should really think about distributors in America and Europe.
Because there are enough people who shy away from buying directly from China, whether you can get it easily or not.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline valcher

• Contributor
Maybe try contacting directly - https://shannontweezers.top/terms/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
TBH the easiest way to contact Shannon is via EEVblog PM:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/pm/?sa=send;u=756546

If you then share your email with him you may be able to communicate directly..........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
TBH the easiest way to contact Shannon is via EEVblog PM:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/pm/?sa=send;u=756546

If you then share your email with him you may be able to communicate directly..........

Shannon usually prefers selling through aliexpress for some reason. If the shipping isn't terrible, you should sell a couple. 😉

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Shannon usually prefers selling through aliexpress for some reason.
Yes, it's easiest for him currently.
We explored several other options but used Aliexpress in the end which worked just fine and a pack of 10 was here in just a few days along with bubble packs for local postage.....something not expected.

If the shipping isn't terrible, you should sell a couple.
IIRC it was ~NZD10ea, not enough to impact local resale price as we got a discount for bulk order.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Shannon usually prefers selling through aliexpress for some reason.
Yes, it's easiest for him currently.
We explored several other options but used Aliexpress in the end which worked just fine and a pack of 10 was here in just a few days along with bubble packs for local postage.....something not expected.

If the shipping isn't terrible, you should sell a couple.
IIRC it was ~NZD10ea, not enough to impact local resale price as we got a discount for bulk order.  ;)

I was going to do the same thing to sell in the US. We had trouble with finishing the order/shipping for whatever reason, so I had to cancel it. I might revisit it in the future.

Offline ShannonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I had solved it a little more elegantly:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/shannon-st42-lcr-tweezer-test-and-comparison-thread/msg5579359/#msg5579359
the response is here.

In order to provide a wider component measurement distance for ST42, we decided to make a more elegant extension cable, but our goal is to either not do it or be extremely elegant  >:D

Just make some simple modifications to ST42, elegantly upgrading the original tweezer tip design to true four-wire measurement.

True four-wire measurement can maximize the performance of ST42, and currently supports an effective resolution of 0.3mohm.

For more details, see the attached photos.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 10:30:38 am by Shannon »
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, Let Newton be! and all was light.

The following users thanked this post: ceut, egonotto, thm_w, tautech, Kean, Grandchuck, Martin72

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/shannon-st42-lcr-tweezer-test-and-comparison-thread/msg5579359/#msg5579359
the response is here.

In order to provide a wider component measurement distance for ST42, we decided to make a more elegant extension cable, but our goal is to either not do it or be extremely elegant  >:D

Just make some simple modifications to ST42, elegantly upgrading the original tweezer tip design to true four-wire measurement.

True four-wire measurement can maximize the performance of ST42, and currently supports an effective resolution of 0.3mohm.

:-//
Not available from your AliExpress listing yet ?
 :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Regular Contributor
the response is here.

:-//
Not available from your AliExpress listing yet ?
 :popcorn:
Not yet.
New version is on the way, and I will do more test to ensure their stability.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician

I help wherever I can, even if it's just for inspiration. ;)

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
Did you already apply for an extension of the USB-C standard: "LCR 4wire measurement mode. Connect 470kOhm from GND to CC1 and 47uH from VNN to CC2"... Or similar  ;D

• Regular Contributor
Did you already apply for an extension of the USB-C standard: "LCR 4wire measurement mode. Connect 470kOhm from GND to CC1 and 47uH from VNN to CC2"... Or similar  ;D
We did try to use the TypeC interface of ST42 to do four-wire measurement, and the original design of this cable was used for this purpose,
but this design is not compatible with the ST42 that has already been sold, which is not friendly to users who have already purchased ST42.

Therefore, we believe that the design of leading out four-wire measurement through the tweezers tip needs to be given higher priority.
And they are under testing now ;)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Wow that's some serious upgrade. That'll allow to use ST42 as a quite decent milliohmmeter. Super attractive since you can keep the same base unit and simply buy a 4-wire extension addon.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
looks like the 1.5.7 FW is out.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, dibro

• Regular Contributor

It was an Aliexpress general coupon. The trouble is, it seemed to be automatically applied to the order and I could not remove the coupon. There was no mechanism to order without it.
Really, speechless.

I really can't stand this problem with AliExpress. Today I reported the problem to them again, and they gave me another official reply. help center link:https://helpcenter.aliexpress.com/s/SellerHelp/knowledge?language=zh_CN&m_station=SlrCmn&questionId=1061063348&tsuCode=SlrCmn&suid=1030142408192005372151E9767909

The reply of the seller's consultation is not the seller's problem
and the reply of the buyer's consultation is not the buyer's problem either,
Then it can only be the platform's own problem.

Welcome to contact me through PM(EEVBlog/Aliepxress/e-Mail PM), We can try to complete the order through PayPal.

1. If you can continue to use AliExpress to place an ST42 without coupon, send me an accessory you want and a screenshot of the failed order with the discount coupon, and I will give the corresponding accessory in your package.

2. If you still can't place an order without using the discount coupon, please contact me through PM, I will try to find other logistics methods to complete the delivery through PayPal (because it comes with a battery, the shipping cost in some countries will be high, but there is some room from other cost ;))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:24:29 pm by Shannon »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Kean

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service

Really, speechless.

I really can't stand this problem with AliExpress. Today I reported the problem to them again, and they gave me another official reply. help center link:https://helpcenter.aliexpress.com/s/SellerHelp/knowledge?language=zh_CN&m_station=SlrCmn&questionId=1061063348&tsuCode=SlrCmn&suid=1030142408192005372151E9767909

The reply of the seller's consultation is not the seller's problem
and the reply of the buyer's consultation is not the buyer's problem either,
Then it can only be the platform's own problem.

Welcome to contact me through PM(EEVBlog/Aliepxress/e-Mail PM), We can try to complete the order through PayPal.

1. If you can continue to use AliExpress to place an ST42 without coupon, send me an accessory you want and a screenshot of the failed order with the discount coupon, and I will give the corresponding accessory in your package.

2. If you still can't place an order without using the discount coupon, please contact me through PM, I will try to find other logistics methods to complete the delivery through PayPal (because it comes with a battery, the shipping cost in some countries will be high, but there is some room from other cost ;))

The secret to building a successful business is to compete on service, not price.  The former creates true customers, the latter is a race to the bottom.

Thank you Shannon for what what you are doing.
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline valcher

• Contributor
I was probably lucky, a few days ago I ordered ST42 tweezers in the Shannon Instruments Store on AliExpress, although it turned out to be expensive....  :(
Delivery of tweezers promises on 08/27/24

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
the response is here.

What a great news !
I was hoping a long time ago to have this milli-ohm meter mesurement  ;)
It was in my list of proposal I have made  ;D

Also, I see that you have a inverted display on yours, do you think you could implement one of my idea I sent you previously ?
It was this one from here : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/design-a-new-precision-lcr-tweezers/msg5345456/#msg5345456

It would be a great add to the GUI  :-+

5) Change icon in Auto-Mode, as we don't really know when we are in AutoLCR mode or not.
    (the Inverted "A" is showed briefly at the beginning, and then replaced by the mesured value)
    I have attached moded photo of screen with my simple idea for that:
    Inverted letter in AutoLCR mode, compared to normal letter in manual mode).

Also, my tweezer has not a single problem now since the CH340E change, I have successfully upgraded it 3 times  :)

Another question is the changelog for the FW: do you have one ? Maybe you could post it in your first message as for reference ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf