Author Topic: Decoding Siglent SDS1104x-e, red dots at bytes.  (Read 1511 times)

Offline CiscERsangTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Decoding Siglent SDS1104x-e, red dots at bytes.
« on: November 08, 2019, 04:59:15 am »
Greeting all,

While decoding...
what are the red dots at bytes as per pic attached?
Some bytes don't have that, some have.

thanks

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Re: Decoding Siglent SDS1104x-e, red dots at bytes.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:12:11 pm »
I believe you'll see that when the data doesn't quite fit into the display area.  Sometimes it can't squeeze in the trailing apostrophe for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:18:55 pm by BillB »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:51:40 pm »
I believe you'll see that when the data doesn't quite fit into the display area.  Sometimes it can't squeeze in the trailing apostrophe for some reason.

I don't think so, because decoding itself gives true information about byte's content.
for example, as per pic attached:
  • the first byte comprises 'F' char only;
  • the second one comprises '1' char only;
  • the third one comprises '8' char only;

So, I can't see any reasons for "red dots".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:54:51 pm by CiscERsang »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 03:45:16 pm »

I don't think so, because decoding itself gives true information about byte's content.
for example, as per pic attached:
  • the first byte comprises 'F' char only;
  • the second one comprises '1' char only;
  • the third one comprises '8' char only;

So, I can't see any reasons for "red dots".

If you stop double posting and pay attention  to what is answered to you, you would see that other (very knowledgeable about Siglent) user member already answered to your question..

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg2775306/#msg2775306

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:21 pm »
It's not the decoded data, but all the text that the scope wants to put in the little boxes along with having a little margin of space at the end,  if it doesn't fit, you get the dot.  See this pic:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:01:37 pm by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:01:44 pm »
@2n3055,
My dear, if you could pay attention to time when I made repost and when the first reply appeared in the first post you would be much surprised .
Anyway thanks for the remind.  :-+
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:03:51 pm by CiscERsang »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »
It's not the decoded data, but all the text that the scope wants to put in the little boxes along with having a little margin of space at the end,  if it doesn't fit, you get the dot.  See this pic:

(Attachment Link)

@BillB,
interesting stuff,
I think there are many precedents which cause "red dots" appearing.
My case and yours are different, because in my case each box comprises a single char, not more and not less. It's correct in terms of plausibility and there's enough space at box to show a single char.

as suggested Performa01 it may be FW flaws or so, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg2775306/#msg2775306

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:31:38 pm by CiscERsang »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:33:42 pm »
No, in your case the box comprises several characters just like mine.  It's just not the single decoded character that the scope is displaying in the box, but also the '  ' marks around that character.  The size of the box is too small to display 'F'  so it just just displays as much of it as it can  'F then a red dot.

If you had the scope display the characters as HEX instead of ASCII, then it would want to show 0x46 in the box.  That is 4 characters of stuff, if the box is too small it might show 0x4 then a little red dot.  If the box was a little bigger, then it would should 0x46 with no red dot.  If you expand the timebase so the box gets bigger, all the characters will fit and the red dot goes away.

It's really not a flaw.  The font for displaying the characters is not a fixed space font, so the character F is wider than a 1
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:45:57 pm by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 07:32:21 am »
No, in your case the box comprises several characters just like mine.  It's just not the single decoded character that the scope is displaying in the box, but also the '  ' marks around that character.  The size of the box is too small to display 'F'  so it just just displays as much of it as it can  'F then a red dot.

If you had the scope display the characters as HEX instead of ASCII, then it would want to show 0x46 in the box.  That is 4 characters of stuff, if the box is too small it might show 0x4 then a little red dot.  If the box was a little bigger, then it would should 0x46 with no red dot.  If you expand the timebase so the box gets bigger, all the characters will fit and the red dot goes away.

It's really not a flaw.  The font for displaying the characters is not a fixed space font, so the character F is wider than a 1

@BillB,
you convinced me, I suppose that's what it is.  :-+

thank you!

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf