Author Topic: DE-5000 LCR Meter OEM?  (Read 54795 times)

Offline z01z

• Regular Contributor
Re: DE-5000 LCR Meter OEM?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2014, 10:13:01 am »
I compared that photo to the IET one in EEVblog 229 and I see a lot of difference.
Me too, however for me the two looks almost the same (apart from component values, which I couldn't compare)

The DER DE-5000 has a lot of components less (look above the bottom chip)  as the IET one.
The missing components look like tantalum filter caps, I wonder how much did they save by omitting them?

Also there is are some parts that seem to go to the inputs that IET does not have. (left side of meter)
Yes, that looks like a reverse protection for the external power. Maybe it is due to the version difference.

The chipset has a print that is not from Cyrus tek. Other LCR meters that use this chipset have it covered like IET or you see the Cyrus label. Is der DE firma so big that Cyrus makes custom printed chipsets for them , or could it be an other chipset ? This chip is well known for quality so why cover it ? (if your brandname is not as sound and to trust as IET is) ?
In the IET from Dave's teardown the chips are potted, so we can't be sure what's used there.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:44 am »
We need a version 8 from IET to see what is brand specific and what is PCB version specific. But I assume the same.
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 11:52:12 am »
You think or you hope  ;)
Assumtion is the mother of....
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2014, 12:26:58 pm »
Assumtion is the mother of....

correct ;)

I wanted to see if anyone actually have tested and compared these.. Or if someone have tested this one to see how good it actually is.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »
There is a review here
http://www.ittsb.eu/de-5000.html  (maybe he still has a version 5 that can be used to compare with IET)
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »
Assumption is the mother of....
Assumption means assumption, the future will tell. :)
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »
There is a review here
http://www.ittsb.eu/de-5000.html  (maybe he still has a version 5 that can be used to compare with IET)

I asked him, and yes he has a DER EE revision 5 and the layout and components are the same like in Daves video of the IET. (also including the extra caps that are gone in revision 8 )

Only one difference was the IC number was removed and not covered up like in Daves video.
But it's possible they switched method during production then it's not a difference between DER EE and IET.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:19:11 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline ot1

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »
Who would service the der ee unit? Neither the der ee or DE-5000 have input protection so it would seem, unlike the Agilent 1733 which does. Is there any warranty at all on the DER EE ?  Although the GenRad DE-5000 has only 1 year as opposed to an Agilent 1733 which has 3 years but the 1733 sadly doesn't incorporate a 4wire design although it has everything else going for it (but the price)!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:11:23 am by ot1 »

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2014, 02:54:37 pm »
I just received my DE-5000 from Japan 96Euro  (+27.6Euro import tax)
(from http://www.ebay.com/itm/DER-EE-DE-5000-High-Accuracy-Handheld-LCR-Meter-w-TL-21-TL-22-TL-23-New-/151133823417?)

Just to let you know that I also got the error message when I pressed the power button the first time (nothing connected yet, no other buttons pressed) I haven't seen the error again.

The PCB is also version 8.

Have to say it's a very nice unit, but it feels very weird in the hand. It's larger than I expected and very lightweight, but still it's sturdy. The combination of large, lightweight and still sturdy just feels weird. Normally large + light equals flimsy. My unit is spot on for various tests I did, very nice. It does measure kinda slowly though, around one measurement/second.

Mine just arrived and looks exactly like yours, the diode position to protect for uncorrect polarity of external power is unpopulated (also like yours). How come it's there for others?

It does feel weird in the hand, being quite large, pretty lightweight and still sturdy. Given the size and weight you'd expect it to be a lot more flimsy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:07:26 pm by WVL_KsZeN »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2014, 03:46:41 pm »
I think the error on first turn on is due to a missing checksum because the EEPROM is still empty. Or something along those lines. I've used mine for over half a year now (went through five 9V batteries) and haven't seen it since.

I really don't get why people complain about input protection. It's not a multimeter that you hook up to random wires sticking out of a wall. It's an instrument for testing passive components.

From what I've read the Agilent would be a far worse choice: measurements jumping all over ther place, firmware bugs, defects, bad service. I haven't even heard of a defective DE 5000. Another little detail: the Agilent (wait, it's Keyhole now or something, right?) has printing on the rubber buttons that will eventually wear off, while the DE 5000 has the printing on the panel, under a clear plastic layer. Nice little detail IMHO.
for(;;);

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »
Just got mine today. For $120 with tweezers and alligator clip accessories, I couldn't say no, as I didn't currently have a proper LCR meter.

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »
I think the error on first turn on is due to a missing checksum because the EEPROM is still empty. Or something along those lines. I've used mine for over half a year now (went through five 9V batteries) and haven't seen it since.

I really don't get why people complain about input protection. It's not a multimeter that you hook up to random wires sticking out of a wall. It's an instrument for testing passive components.

From what I've read the Agilent would be a far worse choice: measurements jumping all over ther place, firmware bugs, defects, bad service. I haven't even heard of a defective DE 5000. Another little detail: the Agilent (wait, it's Keyhole now or something, right?) has printing on the rubber buttons that will eventually wear off, while the DE 5000 has the printing on the panel, under a clear plastic layer. Nice little detail IMHO.

I hate to impose but sometimes you can be careless with electrolytic capacitors, for instance because of their soakage. I had ebay capacitors come in charged at 35V.... I know enough to short out electrolytic before testing on my LCR meter but its an easy mistake to make and fry your expensive equipment.

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:43 pm »
Got mine, it's cheap! Does look very serious like the IET.
Look up Der EE company. They make all kind of measurement equipment.
Checked the meter with various 0.5% cap's. It's spot-on.
One thing, the alligator clips are junk (worn out in a week) ...
Already done a lot of work with it. It's a really useful tool.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:35:55 pm by markce »

Online Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:11 am »

A couple questions:

Are the eBay purchasers still happy with your units?

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on how useful the IR/USB PC interface might be?

Thanks 

Online georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:32 am »

A couple questions:

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on how useful the IR/USB PC interface might be?

Thanks

Happy with mine, have had it for 3 or so months, bought from the same seller as the OP's URL (1st post).

Tweezers are fine (though you have to be careful to not squeeze/shoot a loose SMD cap etc into a higher dimension).

I've used the croc clips a few times for the odd leaded component I may be using to prototype something, seem fine, easy enough to replace with better clips if need be.

The unit itself seems well built, good accuracy and good repeatability. For my use it was a well spent few $. One of my least expensive pieces of test equipment.

I have no use for the IR/USB interface since I'm not production testing components or sorting them.

cheers,
george.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2014, 08:24:29 am »
A couple questions:
Thanks 
bought one from japan in october, still happy with it
I only bought the tweezers and croc clips because I have no use of the ir/usb cable.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 10:36:50 pm »
I don't really see a need for the USB functionality, unless maybe if you have to record a large number of measurements, like in a production environment. Or, possibly, something like evaluating a capacitive sensor.

You could easily whip up your own USB adapter by punching a hole in the appropriate spot in the foam cover, sticking an IR phototransistor in there and hooking it up to the RxD input of a $2 TTL Serial to USB converter.
for(;;);

Offline AutomationDude

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:44 am »
A couple questions:
Thanks 
bought one from japan in october, still happy with it
I only bought the tweezers and croc clips because I have no use of the ir/usb cable.

Bought one for myself two weeks ago.  Works great, no complaints.  Perfect for the hobbyist or even on a Production Test Bench (which is where I intend to put one next).
Growing up was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Offline JustSquareEnough

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:19 am »
just picked this meter up today.

looked through this thread for a link to an english version of the manual since the one that ships with it of course is not.  IET has their manual hosted, here's a link: http://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Manuals/DE_5000_im.pdf

I tried attaching it but it is to big.

Also, looks like there is a seller on amazon now so you can get it via prime rather than a long ship time via international ebay.

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf