Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz RTB2000 - which MTP client for MacOS works?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline RBBVNL9Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rohde & Schwarz RTB2000 - which MTP client for MacOS works?
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:24:49 am »
The RTB scopes can make files accessible from its internal memory to a computer using a USB connection and the Media transfer protocol (MTP). Now the new 2.300 firmware of these oscilloscopes also allows screenshots to be saved to the internal memory, this possibility becomes more appealing.

Computers running MacOS, however, do not have MTP support build into their OS. But there are a few commercial offerings to do this.

After a bit of preparation, I decided to try Eltima’s Eltima’s SyncMate (the demo mode did not allow to test this functionality, so I had to buy a license). Unfortunately no success: the syncing is very unreliable, and the mount function does not work at all. The client support of Eltima investigated the case, could not find a solution, and suggested me to use their MacDroid product instead, which can mount (but not sync) MTP devices. Alas, that one does not work either, it mounts the drive, but all the files show up as empty files. (If I connect a Windows PC, they show up well.)

So… Does anyone have experiences with MTP software for MacOS that does work with the RTB oscilloscope – paid or free?

Thanks!

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rohde & Schwarz RTB2000 - which MTP client for MacOS works?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:04:21 pm »
I would also open a support case at R&S, they might have a bug in their MTP stack

Alternatively is it possible to pull a screenshot over SCPI? Maybe a small script could be witten to do it

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 02:37:58 pm »
I would also open a support case at R&S, they might have a bug in their MTP stack

Yes, even though the MTP protocol build into Microsoft Windows works well with the RTB osciloscope does not necessarily mean that there is no error in the protocol stack at the RTB. It might be an error that the Windows implementation is not sensitive to, but the MacOS application is. But bottom line is that it will be very hard (virtually impossible, really) for an end user to determine which of the two is at fault. (And I am not even mentioning the case here in which the protocol definition itself is ambiguous or leaves room for multiple implementations, and two 'proper' implementations are still not interoperable - interoperability testing, plugfests, reference designs  etc. are an important topics for those involved in standardisation.)

Alternatively is it possible to pull a screenshot over SCPI? Maybe a small script could be witten to do it

I might try to go that way. On a Mac, I can also make new screenshots using the network connection.

But the easiest route is to see whether other people have experiences with an MacOS MTP client that works out of the box ;-)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 11:10:55 am »
Still waiting for a better solution, I now installed this little, manual USB 2.0 port switch, which retails for around 10 Euro (which is actually much less than most MTP software clients for MacOS).

It manually switches a flash drive between the RTB and the computer. On the computer, you need to unmount the drive before a switch, on the RTB, this is not necessary (/possible).

Still not perfect, but at least, I do not have to physically take out the flash drive out of the instrument and put it into the computer all the time I want to transfer a file :-|

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »
OK, my last mail for this threat, I guess.

Today Eltima, maker of two MTP clients for MacOS, SyncMate and MacDroid, informed me that they do not have a solution for getting their software to work with the RTB scope, after checking error logs. While their website states their software works with any MTP device, they now explained to me that works only with 'supported' devices (no list though which these 'supported' devices are). They will refund me.

So, for those that want to connect their RTB to an Apple computer, don't spend your time or money there....

A program called OpenMTP does not work either, it seems.

(Should anyone have been able to get it work with other software - do let me know, still interested!)

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 12:04:54 pm »
Did you write to R&S ? What did they say ?
Surely one of their staff must have an Apple computer and can do some testing !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf