Author Topic: Craftsman 82289 Multimeter MiniScope  (Read 1402 times)

Offline jmm418Topic starter

Craftsman 82289 Multimeter MiniScope
« on: August 29, 2023, 07:36:26 am »
Hi
I just Bought a Craftsman 82289 scope meter for $50
it seems to be off when testing capacitors for example a 2.2uf is reading 1.5 i have another cheap meter that reads 2.2 when testing the same cap.
The AC & DC voltage reading is accurate
so i was thinking maybe there is a way to adjust it with a pot that's inside

I have done some research on it the meter seems to be made by extech and there is also a VOLTCRAFT version of it model GDM 704 & Extech 381265 they look the same as the craftsman

someone had taken the volt craft one apart there are a lot of pots inside i wouldn't know which one to adjust without messing it up maybe someone else would know or maybe it's best just to leave well enough alone

https://www-elektroda-pl.translate.goog/rtvforum/topic1678487.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp&_x_tr_hist=true

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, mwb1100, BILLPOD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Craftsman 82289 Multimeter MiniScope
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 04:43:15 pm »
Are you using the same test leads with both meters? Some of the difference might be there, at least.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 03:49:02 am »
Hi
yes i tried the same leads in both meters but it did not make a difference.
maybe that's just the way the meter is made. or maybe it drifted i think it's almost 20yrs old
if i had the same one to compare it to then i would know.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 07:13:54 am »
I just picked up a Craftsman 82289 miniscope as well (don't ask me why).  You got a better deal than I did.

According to the silkscreen the meter is a rebrand of the WENS33N.  Amazingly it turns out there's a page dedicated to the WENS33N (in Japanese):

- https://hirokun.jp/av/wens_33n.html

- google translated: https://hirokun-jp.translate.goog/av/wens_33n.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The person who wrote that info page also posted calibration instructions with schematics:

- https://hirokun.jp/av/wens_33n_sch.pdf

So you might be in luck as far as getting the capacitance adjusted.  Please post details on how it goes!

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 12:21:11 am »
Thanks for posting that. Now I just need to figure out how to get it apart.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 07:05:46 am »
it was kind of a pain to get apart at first
the 4 screws in the back where the copper shield is do not need to come out
and the white dial i thought was missing metal contact and one fell out but it's double sided and the top pcb has a smaller contact area so i hope & think it's fine.

all i really had to do to get it apart was pry with a plastic pry panel tool and it disconnects from the f1-4 buttons on the front cover.

adjusting the pot made more of a difference on higher rating caps than lower ones for example 10uf reads about 8

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf