Author Topic: Corrosion cleanup--Removing Batts from HP 204C Oscillator and Adding Volt Reg.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I have a HP 204C Oscillator that is behaving badly (looks to be an issue with the power supply). It's described in this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscillator-not-working-right-(hp-204c)/msg1232971/#msg1232971

edavid recommended installing a voltage regulator also described in that thread. I'm getting around to finally doing that and removing the batteries and I'm seeing some serious corrosion. See pictures.

I'm thinking I will do my best to brush everything off... but wondering if I should try to actually remove the corrosion. I've read some threads on this and it seems there is a lot of conflicting information; from using products... to using vinegar... to doing nothing. I live in a pretty dry environment so I'm thinking just removing the batteries and cleaning off what I can should suffice... but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion or recommendation on this. Thoughts?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thanks tautech. Those are very helpful.

Reading those over I've concluded since the batteries are Nickel Cadmium which I believe is an alkaline I need to neutralize the corrosion with an acid. My plan is to use an exacto knife and scrape off as much corrosive build up as I can. Then apply vinegar using a cue tip to the corrosive areas; let sit for a period then wash off using distilled water and cue tip. I am a little worried about some of the components that some corrosion (resistors, etc.). I'm thinking I will do pretty much the same with them as the contacts, etc. (ie put vinegar on them and wash off with distilled water)... the only difference is I will be only lightly rub them with a tooth brush so as not to damage. After I do all that I will let sit for a couple days to dry.

Seems like a solid plan. Any input before I proceed?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I wouldn't fuss over using distilled water as any is OK for flushing and cleaning purposes.
I quite often use hot water (and fit a cuppa in too) and then IPA to finish.
Toothbrush is good but for stubborn stuff I have a quite soft and small brass wire brush that's better again.
Where the conformal coating is damaged and if you can get it really clean, you can recoat it with any sort of varnish, even finger nail polish will do or just tin it with solder to protect the copper traces.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf