Author Topic: Complementing multimeters  (Read 6448 times)

Offline erazorTopic starter

Complementing multimeters
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »
On some occasions two multimeters are needed to measure multiple parameters like current and voltage for power measurements. Some people here also look like collecting these devices because of an addiction but "normal" people would invest limited resources on this topic.
I would tend towards two different multimeters to check against each other if some inconsistencies occur.
There should be some multimeter combinations that make more sense than others if functionality can complement each other.
Do you have device combinations that make more sense in your opinion?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Complementing multimeters
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:58:00 pm »
The answer on your question depends on the type of work you do. If you are more an electrician than a micro controller hacker then your need for multimeters will differ.

If you want to have a couple of multimeters to do anything possible then you need a meter that can handle house electrical and maybe power distribution, and a meter that an handle low capacitance, fast continuity, fast update, low resistance, micro amps, and all the other usual electronic needs. You can find one meter to do it all of course, but you say you don't want to spend a ton of money. How much money? You really don't specify.

I agree that two meters is more than two times better than one. It opens up so many more measurement options. Actually, as Dave has said many time, it is probably better to have four meters. But you want tow so lets go there.

Maybe we can discuss different price ranges?

If you only have $50 to spend on two meters, then forget anything safe. I would personally recommend the UT136X series. The UT136B gives you a basic multimeter with capacitance, and the UT136C gives you temperature. They should only be used on the bench and automotive.

You have $100? Then I would probably recommend the UT139C as it gets you a fairly safe meter. The second meter maybe the Digitek DT4000ZC or a UT61E. They both get you PC recording but aren't really that good for safety.

$200? I would step up to a Brymen BM257 and any of the above to meet your tastes.

Above $200 the options get much wider. Perhaps you want a clamp meter but most people don't have a need for one.

This is just a start of the possible combinations and from just my viewpoint.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:11:02 am by Lightages »

Offline Vito_R

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
It's not a question of collecting multimeters because of an addiction.  You need to have the right equipment for the job.  Depending what your application is and how many different fields of electronics or electrical servicing you work in you will need different types of multimeters and test equipment.  If you provide more details on what type of testing or work you will need these meters for I'm sure we can give some recommendations.
Do the job right the first time.  Quality over quantity will save you in the long run.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:03:39 pm »
Let's face it, some people do collect multimeters. Some of the images I have seen in the General Chat section have indicated an obsession on the aprt of some people. I m jot saying that is wrong, just some people have far beyond the needs of reasonable. :)

Four meters can easily be justified, and maybe another two on top of that. Anything more starts getting into more than needs and into an obsession or addiction. Yes I have more than six but I have a reason.  :-DD

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »
Easy, new rule:
More than 6 is ok if you have a reason, not ok if you have no reason. I'm under 6 so I'm fine.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
if you'll never ever come close to mains voltage then buy yourself a cheap 6000 count auto-ranging dmm (approx 50Eur) and buy yourself in addition one or more (even 3) really cheap 3 1/2 digit dmms (~ 10Eur each) and you'll have one good enough meter for main measurements accompanied with a few cheap meters for additional measurements at the same time.

but if you'll work with mains then don't cheap out and buy yourself a DMM with proper input protection.

Offline Vito_R

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:47:17 pm »
As a general recommendation get yourself 2 reliable multimeters like Fluke or Gossen metrawatt.  Investing in high quality test equipment is never a loss.  You can always sell your flukes later if you have a need to.  They hold their value very well.  You can find great deals on some good used flukes on ebay if you're on a budget.  I consider buying cheap chinese multimeters a complete waste of money whether you're working with mains voltage or not.  They are dangerous with mains voltage and unreliable even in low voltage applications.  Why risk the headaches and lack of measurement confidence with that junk?  Spend a little more money and get yourself a good quality fluke meter you will enjoy using and be stress free.  I highly recommend the Fluke 87 as one of the best multimeters ever made.  I own several.  Even any of the older versions are excellent when you pick them up 2nd hand.  Look for old fluke 27's, or 70's series are great too and even cheaper.  I've seen those often on ebay in the $50- $90 range.
Do the job right the first time.  Quality over quantity will save you in the long run.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »
They used to make these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DAETRON-MM100-200-mA-4-IN-1-DIGITAL-MULTIMETER-DMM-M100-/161341259584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2590b03f40

they really have 4 independent voltage inputs, as well as current and resistance function... But they were so slow.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 06:18:03 am »
Four meters can easily be justified, and maybe another two on top of that. Anything more starts getting into more than needs and into an obsession or addiction. Yes I have more than six but I have a reason.  :-DD

I have passed six but not deliberately and I use them all.  My small bench ones tend to be used for monitoring power supply voltages and currents freeing up my better bench meters and handheld meters for diagnostic probing.

Things I tend to look for in a meter include:
  • Separate average AC, RMS AC, and RMS AC+DC modes.
  • Wide bandwidth AC and RMS measurement.
  • Selectable high input impedance at higher DC voltage input ranges.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:16:11 am »
They used to make these

they really have 4 independent voltage inputs, as well as current and resistance function... But they were so slow.
I almost got one of those a couple of years ago, but I was outbid at the last second by someone.  They got it for under $20 IIRC.  If these are slow, I'm glad I lost out.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
Easy, new rule:
More than 6 is ok if you have a reason, not ok if you have no reason. I'm under 6 so I'm fine.

More then 6 good multimeters.

I'm sure we all have a couple of bad ones we bought when we were clueless newbies but can't bring ourselves to throw away.

OTOH if you own more then 6 high-end flukes you better have a good reason (no, "I got them at a good price, honest!!" doesn't work...)

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 03:32:06 pm »
They used to make these

I almost got one of those a couple of years ago, but I was outbid at the last second by someone.  They got it for under $20 IIRC.  If these are slow, I'm glad I lost out.

When I was a kid I saw an ad for these in some Canadian electronics magazine and it always stuck with me. I got one on eBay, it's a collector's item.
I think it was just some guy in Toronto who designed and built them, along with some other cool gizmos.
Considering it's from the '80s, he did a decent job, there's not much more you can do with an 8051 of the era.
And yeah, it's slow, like 2 readings/sec.

I think this is the dude behind them

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/business/tech-entrepreneur-comes-back-to-his-canadian-roots

Looks like I should have designed multimeters in the 80s too.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:38 pm »
On some occasions two multimeters are needed to measure multiple parameters like current and voltage for power measurements. Some people here also look like collecting these devices because of an addiction but "normal" people would invest limited resources on this topic.
I would tend towards two different multimeters to check against each other if some inconsistencies occur.
There should be some multimeter combinations that make more sense than others if functionality can complement each other.
Do you have device combinations that make more sense in your opinion?
I'm pretty happy with my two VC8145 benchtop multimeters. They can be stacked so they don't clutter the desk too much. They also feature a 20A current measuring capability.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 06:22:17 am »
Measuring 20A with a 13A fuse doesn't sound all that smart.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf