Author Topic: Coming Brymen Shortages  (Read 1470 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Coming Brymen Shortages
« on: June 28, 2021, 05:36:09 am »
Just got notice that after my next batch of BM235's coming next month, any new stock after that will be Feb 2022 delivery due to the main IC shortage.
BM786 similar, some coming July but after that it's late November.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, paulbt

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
Re: Coming Brymen Shortages
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 12:14:12 pm »
Just got notice that after my next batch of BM235's coming next month, any new stock after that will be Feb 2022 delivery due to the main IC shortage.
BM786 similar, some coming July but after that it's late November.

Depressing. Same as in many other areas. Some of the electronic components for our Controllers/ECUs have absurd long delivery prognosis and it's only getting worse.

I'm wondering when and how this situation will recover.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 04:01:24 pm »
Ooof...

Storage media (HDD, SSD etc) will be the next shortage, or so I've heard, somewhat third-hand.

I don't think the recovery will be quick; even if all the people that were furloughed etc come back straight away, there must be a huge backlog of orders by now.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 04:09:31 pm »
Maybe most here are too young to remember previous semiconductor shortages.  I remember shortages in power MOSFETs in the late 80s and early 90s where over a period of months, one could observe buyers moving up the voltage chain to larger and more expensive parts as the lower voltage parts ran out and went on allocation.  I have already observed the same thing with discrete parts now.  Recovery took years.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 04:17:16 pm »
I don't think the recovery will be quick...

You are dead right .... it won't.

The world has drifted into a global Just-In-Time delivery model for all manner of manufacture and these rely on stable, predictable lead times .... and just about all of those have been shot to hell.

I believe we will still be battling to get back to normal two years after the Covid situation has been relegated to secondary news status, which is still a ways off.

Brace yourself for a long and frustrating future.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 04:18:45 pm »
Maybe most here are too young to remember previous semiconductor shortages.  I remember shortages in power MOSFETs in the late 80s and early 90s where over a period of months, one could observe buyers moving up the voltage chain to larger and more expensive parts as the lower voltage parts ran out and went on allocation.  I have already observed the same thing with discrete parts now.  Recovery took years.

... and that didn't have the global impacting factors we have at this time!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 04:20:50 pm »
IT industry is shafted as well. Amazon AWS is having consistent capacity problems now and can’t get any new hardware in  :palm:.

Plenty of CPUs to go around but storage and ancillary ICs are short.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 04:28:43 pm »
Storage media (HDD, SSD etc) will be the next shortage, or so I've heard, somewhat third-hand.

There were several boom and bust cycles in the DRAM business, and it has happened to Flash before as well.  One response was to design systems which could accept different forms of memory but I doubt that will happen this time.

The following users thanked this post: RichardS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf