Poll

Your choice:

Siglent
12 (26.7%)
Keysight
33 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: First Oscilliscope... Siglent SDS1202X+ vs Keysight DSOX1102G/A  (Read 19145 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: First Oscilliscope... Siglent SDS1202X+ vs Keysight DSOX1102G/A
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 11:32:06 am »
The analog discovery 2 is cute but note that mem depth is orders of magnitude less than any of these scopes.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
The analog discovery 2 is cute but note that mem depth is orders of magnitude less than any of these scopes.

I'm not saying the AD2 is a replacement for a 'scope but it has big advantages for audio work and as a learning tool for playing around with digital electronics.

It's also a lot cheaper than a 'scope, especially if you're a student who lives in the USA and can get the educational discount.

In fact: If you can get one for $99 and pair it with the Siglent you'll have a nice little setup for under $500. The AD2 can work as a function generator and audio analyzer, the Siglent is a real knobs-and-buttons 'scope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 01:35:36 pm »
I own both the Analog Discovery 2 and the Keysight EDUX1002G.  I do not work with Audio applications, so I do not have the knowledge to compare both in terms of audio, but if you suggest some tests I can run, I will post the screen captures with the results.  For signal generation I can use the Wavegen included in the EDUX1002G or I have a Rohde and Schrawz CMU200 (Communications Test Equipment) that can generate audio and do THD%.

Even when the AD2 has 14-bit ADC, I found it to be very noisy at 10mV and lower scales (it can go as low as 10uV/Div) and the refresh rate is nothing near the EDUX1002G.

For pure digital stuff like vintage computing, I use an old HP 1670G logic analyzer and if I need protocol analysis, I use the Zeroplus LAP-C 16032 (PC based USB logic analyzer) that has over 100 protocol decoders included for free in the software.  I still do not have the serial decode option for the EDUX1002G ($150 for just i2c and UART seems to be overpriced). 

It is my understanding that the serial protocol decoder on the Keysight EDUX and DSOX series are hardware based, so you get real time decoding.  I tried it on the Rigol and it is slow, but has a lot of capture memory and you can do post capture analysis.  The logic analyzer on the Analog Discovery 2 works in a similar way to the Zeroplus, capture and send the data to the PC for posterior analysis, but I have not played a lot with the AD2 protocol decoders as I was already using the Zeroplus on a daily basis.

The AD2 can do pattern generation on the 16 digital channels, which is a plus if you need this functionality.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:46:16 pm by TK »

Offline corn11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 01:36:07 pm »
Never used a Siglent, so no comments on that one. For KS scopes, they are REALLY fast, I mean, from turning a knob to waveform changes, it happens almost immediately without perceivable lag.
Compared to Tek, well, there's no comparison. I have to use a Tek DPO at work, and well, let's just say it is not pleasant at all. It takes ~0.5s from turning a knob to the waveform starts to update, and sometimes it will not respond, until you over turn the knob and it overshoots.

Thats also the experience I've made with my former Rigol DS1054Z. I don't know Siglent but I wouldn't buy a scope like the Rigol DS1054Z again because of the laggy and buggy UI.
Currently I'm using an old Tek TDS320 which I've got for free. The UI of the TDS320 is also a bit laggy but the Rigol was much worse.

I've used several KS scopes (2000X, 3000X, 4000X, 7000, 9000) so far and they all perform great and have a responsive UI.
So I would definitely go for the KS.

Maybe the 2000X is also suitable for you ? KS is running a trade in promo at the moment. You get up to 30% off when you trade in a working scope (depending on the scope you want and the bandwidth of the scope you trade in). I'm also thinking about getting a 2000X as a little self-reward for finishing my thesis ;) 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:38:55 pm by corn11 »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »
I agree, those requirements more or less rule out the DS1000Z (and MSO1000Z) family. While these scopes have FFT, the sample size (and hence resolution) and speed are somewhat limited; and they don't offer CAN decoding at all.

I think the requirements that it has to be good at audio and digital pretty much rule out anything in the $400 price range.

Well, the new Siglent X-E model might be a better fit for this particular set of requirements. While only 2 channels, it does come with CAN decoding & triggering, and supposedly has a stronger FFT. To be confirmed when actual tests appear, of course, so I would wait for a few weeks.

I agree that high definition audio work (THD and noise) is another matter entirely; I recommend using a sound card with 24 bits DAC/ADC for that.

Offline AndyP

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »
I settled on the MicSig TO1104 a few months ago (8" tablet format, 4 channel, 100MHz, deepish memory at 28Mpts similar Rigol), can be battery powered, serial decoders just about available, FFT, interface faster than Rigol (I've not tried the siglent).
No mixed signal option but I use a 16 channel 400MHz cheap usb offering for this, also it has no signal generator, I've not looked the price up recently.

The Keysight was appealing but I do like 4 channels 2 for the serial decoder and 2 for other signals, also I find the keysight memory too shallow.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »
Yeah the Micsig scopes are interesting as well. I'm still considering getting one myself.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline treyus30Topic starter

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 11:42:37 pm »
I just now checked up on this thread and wanted to add that I did use the Analog Discovery about a year ago for a class and hated it.

The breadboard-esque connections feel so cheap and are a pain to keep organized, sometimes resulting in loose connections... and the software, while full of features, can be a pain in the ass to use. Plus it needs to be paired with a computer, which just adds to the messy feeling of the device. Also, as somebody happened to mention, I do recall experiencing some noise issues.
That said, I still think it would be a decent backup device to have in addition to a self-contained scope.

So the Analog Discovery is a no-go for me without first having a real scope.
---
Furthermore, if you guys think a higher end scope would fit me better, I am willing to look at more expensive ones... Up to $1000 out the door let's say.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:57:36 pm by treyus30 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf