Author Topic: VSG60A  (Read 947 times)

Offline electrolustTopic starter

• Supporter
VSG60A
« on: September 09, 2020, 12:46:32 am »
Anyone have this and have complaints? Specs look great for the price. Close-in phase noise better than products twice the cost. Too bad no external I/Q input, but as long as you can generate a CSV you can import it, so that seems ok.

Anyone have this and does not have complaints? There's zero talk about it on the forum.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: VSG60A
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:01:07 am »
I've had my VSG60A for about 8 hours now.  Does what it says on the box.  Signal Hound markets it as a 'vector signal generator,' which is what I currently need it to do, but in reality it appears to be a very competent general-purpose signal generator. 

A CW signal at 100 MHz almost meets the HP 8662A perf limits:

Big two :-+ so far.   The only thing that's tripped me up is that if you connect an external 10 MHz reference, you have to restart the software.  Otherwise the 'Ext Ref' button won't show up at all... and if you don't press that button, some artifacts will result.

Of course, being effectively a software-defined radio transmitter, it's not meant to compete with dedicated signal generators when it comes to specs like SFDR, absolute amplitude accuracy, or RF leakage at high attenuation levels.  But my initial impression is that it's better than it has to be.  They've done a good job on the basics, and you sure can't argue with the price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf