Author Topic: Choosing Lab equipment for our new electronics lab.  (Read 47037 times)

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
Re: Choosing Lab equipment for our new electronics lab.
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:56 pm »
About power analyses: for that you'll also need a current probe. Those are rather expensive and for anything serious I'd prefer to have two  ;D

Yep, you will use current probes extensively if looking at power.    You can pick up a differential preamp that works well depending on bandwidth needs and get by with a relatively small sense resistor (ie a gain of 100).   I use both current probes and diff pre-amps.    Unfortunately they cost more than the scope if new so see if you can buy second hand as there are good deals out there.  If you buy current probe second hand make sure you can return it.  The ferrite is very fragile and can easily break if lightly dropped the wrong way.  Consider the total system (probes + scope) for your needs before you pull the trigger on a scope.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2015, 11:33:54 pm »
Not really interested in anything over 200MHz for now. It seems like huge overkill for what I am doing.

I will get either this one:

Lecroy 200MHz 4 channel:  £2,925.56
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Teledyne-LeCroy/WAVESURFER-3024/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt57hNjmO%252b8mw6TsCgrgmj5iXBy4qoSgs0%3d

Agilent 200MHz 4 channel: £3012.00
http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/dsox3024t/oscilloscope-4-ch-200mhz-5gsps/dp/2449635

Lecroy 200MHz 4 channel with Digital Inputs: £2,925.56 + £1,171.52 = £4,097.08
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Teledyne-LeCroy/WAVESURFER-3024/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt57hNjmO%252b8mw6TsCgrgmj5iXBy4qoSgs0%3d
+
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Teledyne-LeCroy/WS3K-MSO/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujetpotou2vdZwVIQpiCLhoPsRcDCCFSXw%3d

Agilent 200MHz 4 channel with Digital Inputs: £4,028.00
http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/msox3024t/oscilloscope-20-ch-200mhz-5gsps/dp/2449645

At this price point have you looked at tektronix MDO3000 series (ie MDO3014 or MDO3024)?  I have one, like it and it's another option to consider if spending this much on a scope.  If you have any questions about how the MDO3000 operates let me know. 

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:45 am »
It's short-sighted to say "There's really no need to worry because the WS3000 is produced by Siglent." And LeCroy's "finger on the HW design" ? It takes a lot more than a finger to get a solid design.  Siglent is the HW designer, not just manufacturer.  That's an incredibly huge difference.  LeCroy should have done it themselves if they want people to trust it's as good as 100% LeCroy after the recent siglent/lecroy products. And past products made by Iwatsu does not apply here anyway because history does not guarantee anything about future products with other partners. The most applicable recent history is the Siglent Waveace and Siglent SDS2000 . Especially given that SDS2000 and SDS3000/WS3000 were developed at the same time.

So what? The SDS2000 hardware is just fine, there is absolutely *nothing* wrong with it. The problem in that scope is the software.

The same is true for the WaveAce. The hardware is just fine (albeit a bit too low performance for that price class). It's the software that makes it suck.

For the WS3k/SDS3k, Siglent is as much hardware designer as back in the days Iwatsu was for the WaveRUnner(2) LT. As manufacturer they have some input but primary design decisions are made by LeCroy. For the WS3k/SDS3k, things like front panel are Siglent designs while the logic board is LeCroy.

I know that in your mind you have this idea from hardware issues in the SDS2000, ignoring that all its ills lie in its firmware. If you know about a hardware problem then provide some evidence that supports your speculation, otherwise shut up. Seriously.

More importantly is LeCroy's poor quality control team that gave their seal of approval to Waveace.  That's just wrong.  If waveaces was supposed to be a bad scope with no planned fixes and  LeCroy planned that then it's hard to blindly trust the SDS/WS3000. Smart buyers should question these products.

As I already said before (and more than once!), the WaveAce scopes are bought in. They don't go through LeCroy's QC because they are bought in products, not components. QC for them lies with Siglent, and again the hardware is absolutely fine.

The WaveAce also got (and still gets) fixes, but again as this is Siglent's responsibility1 it doesn't happen fast enough, and often new issues are introduced. Like with the SDS2000.

It certainly was a mistake by LeCroy to buy in bottom-of-the-barrel scope, and believe me they got enough flak for the WaveAce from their customers. But this isn't unique to LeCroy. The first Rigol scopes that Agilent rebadged had awful firmware, and it took quite a while for them to fix the worst problems.

A "smart buyer" knows that every T&M manufacturer came up with crap once in a while, and that includes HP/Agilent/Keysight and Tek (who still have some shit products in their portfolio). That's almost unavoidable. A "Smart Buyer" therefore judges its product by its own merits and a manufacturer by the overall performance of its products and not by a single exemption. Because if he doesn't then the "smart buyer" will not be able to buy anything from anyone.

Just like any other spec. I like LeCroy, but can't give them an automatic pass because it says LeCroy and has LeCroy firmware.  Some reviews would be nice, but for whatever reason there is very little out there.

Yes, there isn't much, but LeCroy has been pretty cautious in terms of giving kits out for review, and it's just now that they begin to open up a little bit, at least to reviewers like Shariar and Mike who have earned themselves a solid reputation.

I hope it's a good scope,  but it's disingenuous for you to dismiss other scopes as much as you do and sell LeCroy scopes as hard as you do without acknowledging the risk associated with a design by siglent / lecroy.

There isn't any risk, aside your highly irrational fears stuck in your head. The WaveSurfer 3k is out with customers for almost a year now and they seem to love it enough that for a while LeCroy couldn't come up with enough scopes.

Look, it's obvious you have a grudge against Siglent because you felt let down by the SDS2000, and to a certain extend I can understand that. But it's really getting silly with your attempts to talk by some hardware issues where there are none. The SDS2000 scope is a pretty fine piece of hardware. It's problem lies in its software, and that is also the problem of the WaveAce. If you have evidence that shows there are hardware issues then present them, otherwise you should really stop spreading your irrational fears.

If you owned one or used one at work and were answering technical questions I might give much more credence to your sales pitch, at least if you stuck with facts.  For example, you incorrectly stated it has 6 math functions instead of 2 so you do not appear to know THAT much about the scope .

I never said I knew everything about the scope, and I'm pretty sure I already stated that I had one for one day only (these smaller scopes are not the ones I usually use for work). I also have worked with the Agilent DSOX3k on a few occasions. And I stand by my opinion that the WS3k is a great scope in this price bracket, more capable than the DSOX3k, and (as proven!) also less expensive. Considering the amount of functionality in the WS3k, it's difficult to get to know it inside out after a day. However, it certainly has me more impressed than the Tek MDO3k we got for a demo, but that has already been discussed elsewhere so I'm not going there any more.

And quite frankly, even using one for only a day is still a lot more than you have learnt about a scope you're so dismissive of.

Also, I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm merely stating my opinion and my experience as I guess many other people here do. And so far my experience with LeCroy has been very positive. You can discount that as "sales pitch" if you want, I really don't care. It's not about you, it's about the OP who came here for advice. How about you respect that?

BTW, I also stated several times that the OP should get all scopes he considers in and try it himself, but I guess this is just another thing you didn't pay attention to.

You stated that when comparing it's math functions as an advantage over Agilent 5yr "rehashed" scope.  Not a big deal on it's own, but combined with you dismissing other brands as much as you do I expected more knowledge of the product you are pushing.

And quite frankly, from someone who knows neither the DSOX3k nor the WS3k I would have expected a bit less negativity.

And what new technology is so amazing in SDS/WS3000 anyway compared to agilent and tek? Yes, looks like a decent scope, but nothing special compared to agilent 3000 and tek's MDO3000 offerings.

If saving of several hundred to over $4k is nothing special to you, while at the same time offering more sample memory, better FFT and much more functionality then I'd say you don't really know what you're talking about. But then, this just reinforces the impage you're presenting here, which is the one of a very irrational guy looking to push his agenda.

I of course I also get that the real problem of the WS3k is that it's not a Tek MDO3k. What would be a posting from Don without at least one mandatory mention of the Tek MDO3000 even when it wasn't even part of the argument. Talk about a well placed sales pitch there ;) But then, these days Tek certainly needs every help they can to sell their scopes.

Really Don, I understand that you feel screwed by Siglent, but man, get over it. Your erratic and irrational blabering doesn't really add anything that helps the OP. Again, if you know from a hardware problem in the WS3000 (or even the SDS2000!), come up with evidence (or at least a reference) that supports your speculation or shut up. At the moment your ramblings only make you look stupid, seriously.

The Op already got the recommendation to test the scopes of choice in his own environment so he can see firsthand how good or bad they are for what he wants to do. Also no reason why this should not include the scope you seem to be so attached to that you feel the need to defend it wherever criticism is expressed, the Tek MDO3000. I just hope the OP gets a better unit from Tek than we did when we tried that thing, or they're in for another embarrassment.

1 - This refers to internal obligations between LeCroy and Siglent; of course for the WaveAce LeCroy carries overall responsibility towards the end users
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:07:01 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:46 am »
The WaveAce also got (and still gets) fixes, but again as this is Siglent's responsibiolity it doesn't happen fast enough, and often new issues are introduced. Like with the SDS2000.

That is bollocks. If you slap on your badge, you damn better make sure it meets your standards before sending it out.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:36 am »
The WaveAce also got (and still gets) fixes, but again as this is Siglent's responsibiolity it doesn't happen fast enough, and often new issues are introduced. Like with the SDS2000.
That is bollocks. If you slap on your badge, you damn better make sure it meets your standards before sending it out.
It's not bollocks. Siglent started selling the SDS2000 way before the firmware was ready. Although I wouldn't call the current firmware version buggy or unstable it is severely lacking. OTOH it's not a useless oscilloscope if you can do without protocol decoding, high resolution, averaging, remote control over LAN and FFT.

Then again I agree it is weird Lecroy didn't test the Waveace properly before shipping. Perhaps the sales department pushed it ahead. Either way Lecroy appearantly didn't take that chance with the SDS2000 while it would have filled the gap between the low end and high end oscilloscopes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:23:42 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:28 am »
If you rebadge something and sell it for a hefty premium, your customers expect some form of QA, not just on hardware but also on FW/SW. You're basically saying "yeah, we we charge you $$$$ for the badge but at least you know someone who knows what a decent scope should be has taken a look at it".

Without that, it's just highway robbery.

As soon as you put your badge on it, it becomes your responsability.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »
As soon as you put your badge on it, it becomes your responsability.

Yes, towards the customer.

But I was talking about internal obligations, i.e. between the supplier (Siglent) and the customer (LeCroy). The WaveAce are to be delivered ready to sell by Siglent. QC and stuff is Siglent's task.

That of course doesn't abolish LeCroy from it's responsibility towards its customers, and yes, it was a stupid thing to just buy them in blindly without looking closer on the product's issues. I guess someone noticed that Agilent did the same with Rigol kit and thought it will be alright.

But as little as Agilent's Rigol rebadges are representative of the whole Agilent/Keysight product range, this is the same for the WaveAce and LeCroy's other scopes.

Offline rodpp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:31 pm »
Hi Wuerstchenhund, do you have any link with Lecroy?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »
FWIW, I'd recommend contacting distributors of the scopes you're interested in, and inquire about setting up a "test drive" (major manufacturers offer such programs). Makes it far easier to avoid ending up with a "lipstick on a pig" model at any rate.  ;)  :P

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
If you are going to assemble your own desings, a reflow oven is great time-saver. Manual paste dispensing with a stencil is easy, but if you do that regularly, you might want a paste printing machine. I don't, but I do a new board maybe one in two months, tops. (Self-promotion: If your boards are complex, you might want a prototype builders' pick and place machine.)
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2015, 04:52:55 pm »
FWIW, I'd recommend contacting distributors of the scopes you're interested in, and inquire about setting up a "test drive" (major manufacturers offer such programs). Makes it far easier to avoid ending up with a "lipstick on a pig" model at any rate.  ;)  :P

Indeed, get some loaners of all scopes that are worth considering and test them for a few days (but I already suggested that).

I personally wouldn't go through distributors but directly through the manufacturers. They might then forward your request to a distributor but it helps if the distributor knows that the manufacturer is involved, which tends to keep them more grounded.

Hi Wuerstchenhund, do you have any link with Lecroy?

I know a few people working there (as I do with Keysight and a few other manufacturers) but other than that, no, just a satisfied user of their high end scopes who only really discovered them about 2 years ago (I knew LeCroy existed before then, but strangely never considered them when shopping for scopes).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:11:18 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline CM800Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 05:46:10 pm »
I tried to persuade my boss to part with £40,000 for a HDO8000 from Lecroy.... He said no. (He thinks £4,000 is crazy money for a scope.) Not sure what to do now. haha!

Offline rodpp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »
I know a few people working there (as I do with Keysight and a few other manufacturers) but other than that, no, just a satisfied user of their high end scopes who only really discovered them about 2 years ago (I knew LeCroy existed before then, but strangely never considered them when shopping for scopes).
Thanks for answer, sometimes when someone is avid defending a specific brand there are some interests involved. Good to know that is not your case, so it means a very happy customer!

It's important to note that members of this forum in bussiness with a brand have a disclaimer in the signature, a very good approach in my opinion. There is no problem in a salersperson defending their products, they know a lot about these products, since this relation is clear to everyone.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »
I tried to persuade my boss to part with £40,000 for a HDO8000 from Lecroy.... He said no. (He thinks £4,000 is crazy money for a scope.) Not sure what to do now. haha!
Really....he's a bit out of touch.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »

It might be time to work backward from the budget, or budget target.  With the budget target in mind you can find as much functionality, performance, and reliability as the budget target will afford.  Sometimes, after that, at the end you can dial the budget up or down to get what make sense all the way around.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »
Thanks for answer, sometimes when someone is avid defending a specific brand there are some interests involved. Good to know that is not your case, so it means a very happy customer!

It's important to note that members of this forum in bussiness with a brand have a disclaimer in the signature, a very good approach in my opinion. There is no problem in a salersperson defending their products, they know a lot about these products, since this relation is clear to everyone.

Its nice to have representation from sales community. It should help them identify what customer needs are and hopefully make better products for everyone.  Actually I don't think Wuerstchenhund acts as an someone in sales, perhaps a stock holder.  People in sales generally act professional and discuss specifications when comparing scopes. And make consessions in some weak areas on their products, basically be objective.   But stockholders are not a face of the company so do not need to act professional.  They benefit from both positive praise of their company and dismissing competitive products.  Its this pattern of praise of LeCroy ws3000 and up & negative comments of other brands independent of others usages that is odd.  Everyone knows there is no single best tool for everyone.  Especially when there is so little talk about what the user will do with the tools in question.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:03:50 pm by don »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:23 pm »
To add my 2 cents: I have been looking for a scope in the $5000 range (before the euro took a nose dive) and the Wavesurfer3000 came out on top compared to the Tektronix MDO3000 and Keysight3000 series. Mostly due to the long memory, high display resolution (1000x600 IIRC), touch screen and competitive pricing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:18 pm »

Really Don, I understand that you feel screwed by Siglent, but man, get over it. Your erratic and irrational blabering doesn't really add anything that helps the OP. Again, if you know from a hardware problem in the WS3000 (or even the SDS2000!), come up with evidence (or at least a reference) that supports your speculation or shut up. At the moment your ramblings only make you look stupid, seriously.

The Op already got the recommendation to test the scopes of choice in his own environment so he can see firsthand how good or bad they are for what he wants to do. Also no reason why this should not include the scope you seem to be so attached to that you feel the need to defend it wherever criticism is expressed, the Tek MDO3000. I just hope the OP gets a better unit from Tek than we did when we tried that thing, or they're in for another embarrassment.

Ummmm....multiple people questioned the risk of Siglent / LeCroy partnership (Dave brought it up?).  Your dismissal of it looks stupid on your part.  The concern of a siglent / lecroy partnership  is a valid consideration given how poor LeCroy handled the waveace. 

The fact is, Agilent/Tek/LeCroy all make nice scopes in that price range and it blows my mind how people talk like there is only one clear choice.  I would happily use any of the scopes depending on the work I'm doing.  And I have seen all three in use but have only extensively used the MDO3000 with my own work.  My opinions of all the scopes are similar enough, I just have a lot more experience with the MDO3000.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 11:08:55 pm »
To add my 2 cents: I have been looking for a scope in the $5000 range (before the euro took a nose dive) and the Wavesurfer3000 came out on top compared to the Tektronix MDO3000 and Keysight3000 series. Mostly due to the long memory, high display resolution (1000x600 IIRC), touch screen and competitive pricing.

Yeah, the agilent is out if you need more memory.  LeCroy / Tek both have 10M all the time and on all channels which is decent.  I'm a roll mode user at 10M which is why I prefer  MDO3000.  It's rolls at 40ms/div and sample rate is limited by memory (comes out to 25MS/s on MDO3000) .  LeCroy rolls at 100ms/div and 5MS/s max.  For me that's significant but seems not many roll mode users out there. 

Display size / resolution is tough to compare because the LeCroy GUI takes up a large portion of the screen so the graticule undergoes a lot of rescaling as you navigate UI.  But you can shut down menus and get a bigger graticule in the end.  Keysight's cap touch is a welcome addtion on touch based scopes though. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »
We've decided that we will probably get the WS3024 along with a current and differential probe.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »
We've decided that we will probably get the WS3024 along with a current and differential probe.

If you get this scope I think it would be nice if you could let us know how you're getting on with it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:59 pm »
I sure will! :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2015, 10:10:33 pm »
Interestingly enough we have ended up buying a LeCroy WaveSurfer 44MXs-B 4 channel 400MHz, 5GS/S (Thanks TopLoser for the amazing deal)

http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopemodel.aspx?modelid=4681&capid=102&mid=504

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2015, 11:26:33 pm »
Current probes? Differential probes? High voltage probes? I would wouch för these Rather than gigaherz scopes given the intented use.
Will Cost you arm and leg and you probably need better than cheapest chinese scope to use these.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:36 am »
Interestingly enough we have ended up buying a LeCroy WaveSurfer 44MXs-B 4 channel 400MHz, 5GS/S (Thanks TopLoser for the amazing deal)

http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopemodel.aspx?modelid=4681&capid=102&mid=504

Nice scope! It's even better than a WS3k, and should give you good service. If the blue LeCroy seal on the back is still in place you can even buy some LeCroy warranty for it if you send it in for calibration.

Just make sure you make a backup of the calibration folder on the D:\ drive in case the built-in laptop hard disk dies (which it might eventually, as hard disk are essentially consumables). This folder contains the scope specific factory calibration data and is needed for it to work correctly, and if you lose it then a full factry calibration is required ($$$). The other stuff on the drive (XP, software) can easily be replaced if lost.

Its nice to have representation from sales community. It should help them identify what customer needs are and hopefully make better products for everyone.  Actually I don't think Wuerstchenhund acts as an someone in sales, perhaps a stock holder.

I'm neither a seller of LeCroy scopes (or T&M kit in general, nor am I even a salesman), nor a stockholder of LeCroy or any other Teledyne company (too little to gain to be worth my investment).

The simple reason I'm suggesting LeCroy when I feel it's appropriate is that they are often simply overlooked. When talking about (proper) scopes, most people think "Tektronix" and "HP/Agilent/Keysight", and hobbyists probably also "Rigol". "Hameg" might just come up as well, but usually that's about it.

The second thing is that you can post specific questions about the capabailities of any Tek/Keysight/Rigol scope, and you will very likely drown in replies because there are lots of people who know these scopes. Now do the same for a LeCroy midrange or high end scope, and you will probably only get very few, simply because fewer people actually know these scopes (and even less know them well enough to be able to answer more specific questions). And if you ask about a newer LeCroy there's a very good chance you won't get any reply, aside from the occasional "we have them at work but I haven't really used them" or (worse) the typical "LeCrap" talk from people who have no clue how to operate one properly or who just make up some stories they pulled from their backsides.

In short, this means that for someone who is looking for a scope for a particular task, there often isn't as much public information out there regarding LeCroy scopes as there is for scopes from other brands, and that someone might very well miss out on a great tool just because he didn't know it existed, which would be a shame.

I also regularly chastize LeCroy for their shortcommings (i.e. the WaveAce), so it certainly can't be said that I think that all they do is great. Far from that.

As I've already written otherwise, I only became really familiar with LeCroy scopes a couple of years ago. Of course I did know they existed, but for some reason I never considered them, partially because of them being perceived as very expensive, and because I heard they were awkward. But then I came across a very cheap LeCroy WaveRunner LT224, and I started looking deeper into LeCroy scopes, and found that they are neither awkward (or difficult to operate) nor particular expensive (in fact, their scopes are regularly cheaper than comparable Agilent/Keysight ones), and that these scopes offer a vast range of analysis tools one simply can't get from anyone else. LeCroy really is for DSOs what Tek was for analog scopes (there's some truth to the "Mercedes amongst scopes" moniker), just without people raving about it. These days the gap has narrowed a bit, especially Keysight has come some way in analysis, and now R&S offers some very attractive midrange scopes as well (Tek is a different story, though), and LeCroy really shot themselves in the foot with the crappy WaveAce Series of entry level scopes, but there are still many things you can only get from LeCroy, simple as that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:36:41 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf