Author Topic: Choosing a uni-t multimeter  (Read 716 times)

Offline EdvinJuTopic starter

Choosing a uni-t multimeter
« on: August 19, 2024, 12:18:22 pm »
Hello,
Can you help me. I can't decide which multimeter should I buy ut195m vs ut161e vs ut18b max? I work at substations with relay protection, where the voltage is not higher than 1000 V, and for various household tasks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:29:16 pm by EdvinJu »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Choosing a uni-t multimeter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 01:08:38 pm »
None of those. You need CAT 4 rated multimeter, reliable, tested in the EU or in the USA.
Your life is not worth saving a few hundred EUR. Get your employer to buy you a proper meter.
Fluke, Gossen... Maybe Keysight or Hioki. If they don't, just keep in mind that your life is disposable in the mind of your employer.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, coromonadalix, BrokenYugo

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 02:12:22 pm »
fluke 87v is a cat 4 certified one up to 600v,      and yes   your company has to buy you the meter

fluke 287 289 ?

the problems is :  many meters drop in Cat xx  beyond 300v ??

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 02:59:04 pm »
I hope this is a troll...

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 03:01:42 pm »
Hello,
Can you help me. I can't decide which multimeter should I buy ut195m vs ut161e vs ut18b max? I work at substations with relay protection, where the voltage is not higher than 1000 V, and for various household tasks.

With ut195m you are at 30 euro away from Brymen 867 which is a no-brainer choose ...

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 03:12:32 pm »
fluke 87v is a cat 4 certified one up to 600v,      and yes   your company has to buy you the meter

fluke 287 289 ?

the problems is :  many meters drop in Cat xx  beyond 300v ??

287, 289 have same CAT rating as 87V. 1000V is high voltage and is on the limit of these Fluke meters. So I think a high voltage probe would be needed.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 03:16:44 pm »
I work at substations with relay protection, where the voltage is not higher than 1000 V

There may be a translation or understanding issue here.  Could you explain exactly what a "substation with relay protection" is?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2024, 03:17:13 pm »
With ut195m you are at 30 euro away from Brymen 867 which is a no-brainer choose ...

Is even that level of meter necessary? Brymen makes many meters for under 100 Euros.

eg. https://brymen.eu/shop/bm2807-cse/

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2024, 03:25:42 pm »
Hello,

Very good point on that. Just checking, is it tested by third parties?

Is even that level of meter necessary? Brymen makes many meters for under 100 Euros.

Because the 867 is CAT IV 1000V and this isn't.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2024, 03:32:49 pm »
None of those. You need CAT 4 rated multimeter, reliable, tested in the EU or in the USA.
Your life is not worth saving a few hundred EUR. Get your employer to buy you a proper meter.
Fluke, Gossen... Maybe Keysight or Hioki. If they don't, just keep in mind that your life is disposable in the mind of your employer.
I couldn't agree more. Get a meter from a reputable brand. At least your family can sue a company with a real office in case you die because of a faulty meter. IMHO Fluke, Gossen, Keysight or Hioki are good, reputable brands. I bought a Keysight DMM specifically to use on mains to make sure I have a meter which is safe. When I bought it, the Keysight DMMs offered more value for money compared to Fluke.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2024, 03:40:25 pm »
Could you explain exactly what a "substation with relay protection" is?

A mains utility switching and distribution site. "Relay protection" refers to the systems used therein to trip high voltage / high current circuit breakers in the distribution path automatically, in the event of a fault being detected e.g overload, phase to ground short etc.

That is to say, as others have said, it's not a place to be bringing toy instruments to work.

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2024, 03:42:56 pm »

I am not a fun of those web sites that looks like the manufacturer's one and are more expensive than an authorized distributor ...

Anyway Brymen BM2807 CSE is rated 600V only; BM867s is what could satisfy the OP that speak about 1000V.

But really the emplyer should provide what the employee need to carry on the duties.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2024, 03:53:28 pm »

BM869s is for sure "UL Listed", not sure about BM867s anyway Brymen is a very reputable company.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2024, 04:14:19 pm »
A mains utility switching and distribution site. "Relay protection" refers to the systems used therein to trip high voltage / high current circuit breakers in the distribution path automatically, in the event of a fault being detected e.g overload, phase to ground short etc.

That is to say, as others have said, it's not a place to be bringing toy instruments to work.

I know what it means generally, but I'm thinking the OP might mean something else.  Electrical substations usually have a lot more than 1000V in at least part of their wiring.  Here in the US they typically don't have any low voltage at all except for perhaps control systems. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2024, 04:18:29 pm »

BM869s is for sure "UL Listed", not sure about BM867s anyway Brymen is a very reputable company.

Both meters are on the same platform and certifications. The 869s has some features extra.

The following users thanked this post: tszaboo

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 04:28:39 pm »
I can't tell which country the OP is by looking at the flag. However, I feel with that kind of work the employer should issue the proper meter to the worker.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 04:30:46 pm »
I can't tell which country the OP is by looking at the flag. However, I feel with that kind of work the employer should issue the proper meter to the worker.

If you hover your mouse cursor over the flag icon the country or region name shows up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 05:35:31 pm by bdunham7 »

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 04:32:03 pm »
I can't tell which country the OP is by looking at the flag.

Don't stop at looking at it ... go over it with the mouse ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf