Author Topic: Cheap-ass Microscopes  (Read 2433 times)

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Cheap-ass Microscopes
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:17:15 pm »

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap-ass Microscopes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:26:40 pm »
Yes, "don't touch this"...
Better buy one of the " bigger" (camera with c-mount, must not be the one with autofocus if it is to expensive) ones from Ali.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline wd5jfr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:45:41 pm »
I also know zero and would like one for occasional use  instead of using the magnifier on my iPhone11.  On a easy adjust stable stand with a light and around $100.
Thanks
Hank

Offline sot010174

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 06:11:03 pm »
Should be close to the chinese USB microscopes. 640x480 or 720p with lil bit of noise. As Dyatlov would say, "Not great, not terrible".  :bullshit:

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
I did a review of one years ago because I was curious. Essentially they work, they're serviceable, but they'll never be your go to unless it's all you have. I also have a problem with the small bases they have and the one I'd bought I made a large, heavy, stainless steel base for it(After purchase I had the manufacturer send me the updated base itself they release later and it was much better).

Typically they can save files to sd card and that works. If you're looking for cheap and don't have space or money for the cheap amscope these do work well enough to do 0201 size parts or inspection. Without 3d vision obviously soldering is more difficult as is placement. I only used it for inspection aside from testing soldering for the review. If it's what you can afford and you're not looking for something to do a lot of soldering with I wouldn't be afraid to recommend one under $100.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:27:41 pm by maginnovision »

Offline pendoric

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 06:52:20 pm »
I have one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCBK6WX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are spending mainly on the camera, the problems are:

1 To see a whole chip you can not get the head far enough away from the target.
2 The computer output is only 720p while the attached screen is 1080p and the stills even better at 12MP.
3 If you have 2 good eyes (I only have one) you dont have depth perception like a real bi or tri microscope

I intend to convert mine and mount it on a hydraulic arm (like you get for monitors) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH0HTM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , the focus range is fairly large so should work well.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 09:07:28 pm »
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 09:40:22 pm »
I intend to convert mine and mount it on a hydraulic arm (like you get for monitors) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH0HTM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , the focus range is fairly large so should work well.
dont! you'll be sorry for yourself unless you have 2kg paperweight to hold the counterweight spring in place. it has minimum weight, look carefully otherwise it will just go right back up and its not easy to push this thing down. i still have 1 in stock, i've used 2 arms to hold my Dynascope TS-2

Yes, "don't touch this"...
Yep, got nearly the same.....And gave it away for my brothers daughter, to play with it.
+1 on "don't touch this" i never use it but i can imagine how useless a 4" monitor to enlarge smd components. so i just directly bought one of this... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/34mp-hdmi-microscope-camera-(hayea-amszoom-ykins-tech-china)-quick-review/?topicscreen and put it with a large 24" monitor, comfortable viewing and soldering distance.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 09:37:15 pm »
Has anybody tried one of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001689691569.html

Nope!    Even for China that is too cheap to be of reasonable quality.   Red flags include specifying 1to1000 Zoom which is almost impossible to do with optics.   Beyond that it just looks flimsy.   Here is a few points that might help in making rational optics buying choices:
  • The higher you magnification, the higher the stiffness you want out of the mechanical system.    This due to any vibration showing up in the image.   Also you want the system to settle quickly if you come into contact with it (make an adjustment).   Frankly the mechanical issues are often missed/ignored in vision systems until after problems show up
  • Prefer systems that separate the optics from the electronics.   Ideally C-Mount or M12 mount cameras.   the problem here is the rapid change in electronics and very slow change with respect to optics.   For some systems I've seen over a dozen generations of cameras on the same optics.   Part of that is due to camera failure and almost zero chance of finding the exact replacement camera.
  • Item two implies a separate display solution but in the long run I see this as worth the any extra costs that might happen.
  • Illumination is critical.   You will need integrated illumination or a supplemental system.    Sometimes this is easy sometimes it is more involved depending upon what you are trying to accomplish.
This list might be considered just minimal but I think if people look at the list and then any potential product they might dismiss many of those products.    For example people often forget mechanical construction which can be a big factor in higher magnification systems.    The other reality is good optics are not cheap even if it comes from China.    As such you want to make sure you are getting reputable optics with which standard electronics can be mounted.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 09:42:24 pm »
As far as illumination all of them I've seen include a light around the camera. I've posted this before but I took this picture of a busted rgb led(0606 diffused Digikey 160-2162-1-ND) with one of these cheap-ass microscopes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:58:01 pm by maginnovision »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 11:22:16 pm »
Dont go super cheap.. you can get good quality if you know what you are looking for and it will still be low cost, this is what I use. Having the eyepieces is handy as well, super clarity of optics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-Simul-Focal-Lockable-Zoom-Trinocular-Stereo-Microscope-Dual-Arm-Boom/254356252790
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG89HQY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZ1Y3KS

For those that know their stuff... yeah its a knockoff amscope for a fraction of the cost

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:25:22 pm »
A fraction of the cost of an amscope but many multiples of the cost of the linked $46 unit.

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 03:44:34 am »
Isn't an ass microscope known as an endoscope?  Try searching for that.

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, Weston

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 04:10:04 am »
Isn't an ass microscope known as an endoscope?  Try searching for that.

I'm more interested into cheap ass than into ass microscopes.  ;D

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 06:38:37 am »
Even with a good binocular stereo microscope, there isn't much of depth perception.  The angle between right eye vision and left eye vision is too narrow to form a meaningful 3D image.  Another issue is depth-of-focus.  If I focus on top of the chip, legs go out of focus and vise versa.  Because of all that, seeing isn't that much of a problem but manipulating soldering iron is.... 

Also, if you wear glasses, getting lens spacing just right is a challenge.  Even if you get it right, just a little bit of head shift will cause you to lose the image on one of your eyes.  If you have normal vision, an inexpensive option is drugstore type reading glasses.  You can get pretty good magnification and get to keep depth perception. 

I also have a good stereo scope on a boom equiped with C mount camera, which is then connected to a 22 inch monitor.  It is a very nifty thing to have to inspect boards. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf