Author Topic: Can't enable O.V.P. and O.C.P. with output turned OFF (RIGOL DP1308A)  (Read 2210 times)

Offline cliffordTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • www.clifford.at
Hello everyone,

I have a RIGOL DP1308A power supply, but I guess my question is not really specific to this device. With this supply I can not enable O.V.P. and/or O.C.P. when the output is turned off. I have to first turn on the output and then can individually turn on O.V.P. and/or O.C.P., which means I have to do it every time I turn on the output if I'm working with a DUT where I want to use this features in addition to the usual CV and CC limits.

Obviously this was done deliberately by RIGOL. I was wondering why. The manual only states the fact but does not offer an explanation..  :-//

I'm sure someone here can explain to me why I would prefer this behavior.

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can't enable O.V.P. and O.C.P. with output turned OFF (RIGOL DP1308A)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:02 pm »
Yeah, how more stupid can it be !
You need to blow out the circuit you are testing before having the time to enable OCP... :wtf:
This power supply is nice overall, although a bit week on max current on the +/- 25 volts outs, but the OVP and OCP are useless.
All my lab is Rigol and I'm quite happy with all equipments so far, but my next PSU won't be for sure, unless they change this.
The problem is that I don't remember having seen this fundamental problem in reviews, so I guess no one is aware of this flaw before buying.

Now ok, it's not dramatic, in most cases you just have to disconnect the positive banana plug instead of using the button, but for a programmable PSU, well  :--
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:57:29 pm by iDevice »

• Regular Contributor
    • www.clifford.at
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:06:22 pm »
The problem is that I don't remember having seen this fundamental problem in reviews, so I guess no one is aware of this flaw before buying.

I've uploaded a video on that a couple of days ago. So at least now there is something online:

http://youtu.be/qPp35eGl26I

I wrote a mail to rigol europe the same day but (of course) haven't got an answer yet..

Offline iDevice

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »
Well done  :-+
I've had great support from Rigol Europe so far, but you have sometimes to wait for 48H and in rare cases, they are a bit overflowed and miss a mail.
A reminder generally helps.
But I'm afraid one or two complaints about this design flaw won't matter much and they will probably answer : It's by design and perfectly in spec.
It it was Dave ranting about it, maybe...  :rant:

I'll open a ticket as well.
Wait & see...

• Regular Contributor
    • www.clifford.at
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:16 am »
I'll open a ticket as well.
Wait & see...

Well, I still haven't heard back from RIGOL. Maybe I will send them a reminder..

Please post a note if you learn anything from them..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf