Author Topic: Can you Hack the Hantek DSO2D15 to go to 200MHz?  (Read 439 times)

vk6zgo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Merlin11Topic starter

Can you Hack the Hantek DSO2D15 to go to 200MHz?
« on: July 08, 2024, 05:50:19 pm »
I just bought a Hantek DSO2D15 on Amazon hopefully it will get here soon. Can this scope be modded to run at 200MHz? I have searched the forum and I can't seem to find the answer. Does anyone know what the latest firmware is? Is there a how to for doing a full backing up of this scope? Thanks

Online TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Can you Hack the Hantek DSO2D15 to go to 200MHz?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 06:27:10 pm »
I have zero experience with that scope (or Hantek products in general), but there is a lengthy thread on that series here - no idea what information is available, but I suspect that is where you'll find it.

Just curious - given your questions, what led you to purchase that particular brand/model?  Also it appears that scope is officially spec'd for 150MHz - do you really need the additional bandwidth?  I guess anything 'more' is 'better', but if you don't actually need it, why bother potentially mucking it up if it turns out to be complicated?
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 06:28:04 pm »
What do you mean by "hack"?
Normally you hack a scope to upgrade to a better (existing) version if the limitation is in the software
But there is no 200MHz version of the DSO2000.
However, this does not mean that the DSO2000 cannot display/measure 200MHz. The amplitude is simply lower and it becomes a little unstable.

The FAQ is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-dso2x1x-models-master-thread/

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:19:33 pm »
I have zero experience with that scope (or Hantek products in general), but there is a lengthy thread on that series here - no idea what information is available, but I suspect that is where you'll find it.

Just curious - given your questions, what led you to purchase that particular brand/model?  Also it appears that scope is officially spec'd for 150MHz - do you really need the additional bandwidth?  I guess anything 'more' is 'better', but if you don't actually need it, why bother potentially mucking it up if it turns out to be complicated?

This scope seems to have the most bang for your buck and they seem to support it with new firmware updates so the scope seems to keep getting better.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:26:37 pm »
I have seen a hack tool to  convert some slower Hantek scopes (70MHz 100MHz) to work at 200MHz. I would like to do the same with this new scope.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:28:21 pm by Merlin11 »

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:37:48 pm »
I have seen a hack tool to  convert some slower Hantek scopes (70MHz 100MHz) to work at 200MHz.

What you say makes no sense imho.
A scope does not "work at 200MHz" it has a bandwidth and a sampling rate.
Are you confusing that with overclocking?

Besides, 150MHz and 200MHz bandwidth are not a significant difference in practice.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:48:59 pm »
The 150MHz bandwidth limit is set in hardware, so no easy hacking it to do 200MHz, and even if you do manage to get the filters up to that higher bandwidth the sampling rate remains at max 1GSa/s when on a single channel or 500MSa/s when both channels are enabled. Even with the 150MHz bandwidth it is already pushing the limits of usefulness in signal versus sampling rate.

I reverse engineered the schematics of this scope, but did not measure the capacitor values, so no telling what the actual filter bandwidth is based on calculations. You can find the schematics here.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:50:21 pm »
Oscilloscope modification to make more wide bandwidth is a stupid idea. This is because oscilloscope frontend bandwidth is designed to fit with Nyquist border of ADC which is a half of sample rate. So if you extend frontend bandwidth, but keep the same sample rate, you will get more aliases and as result oscilloscope will be unable to show proper waveform for a complex signal which consists high frequency components.

Due to physical limitations of analog filters, there is a rule of thumb to use sample rate at least 10x times higher than required bandwidth. And since DSO2D15 has sample rate 1000 MHz, you're needs to limit input bandwidth to 1000/10 = 100 MHz. If you use more wide analog bandwidth your oscilloscope will suffers from aliasing issues.

Oscilloscope frontend modification to extend analog bandwidth from 100 MHz to 200 MHz may have sense if you're planning to use it to measure amplitude. But note that with such kind modification you cannot believe to waveform displayed on oscilloscope.

Such modification just make your oscilloscope defective and it cannot be used as a usual oscilloscope to check signal waveforms.

There is more sense to reduce analog bandwidth from 100 MHz to 10-20 MHz. It will give you some benefits, like lower noise and less waveform distortions. But usually oscilloscope already has a switch in the menu to reduce bandwidth, so there is no needs to "hack" it to get that benefits.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:01:13 pm by radiolistener »

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:59:57 pm »
pcprogrammer and radiolistener are right.
That said, you can measure a 200MHz sine frequency even with the 100MHz variant (DSO2C10).
The measured amplitude is just too low (useless value).
This cannot be improved with a "hack" afaik.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:10:24 pm by Aldo22 »

« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:02:35 pm »
There are Hantek scopes that are made to run at 200MHz but have had there speed restricted in firmware. Iam asking if this scope is one of those and if so can the restriction be removed. I other words if this scope is hobbled I want to un-hobble it.   :-//

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:13:09 pm »
This question has already been answered.
Do you even read the answers?

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:26:35 pm »
Oscilloscope modification to make more wide bandwidth is a stupid idea. This is because oscilloscope frontend bandwidth is designed to fit with Nyquist border of ADC which is a half of sample rate. So if you extend frontend bandwidth, but keep the same sample rate, you will get more aliases and as result oscilloscope will be unable to show proper waveform for a complex signal which consists high frequency components.
For example, I have model DSO5202P and DSO5201P. The first model has an analog bandwidth of 200 MHz, the second model - 100 MHz. The sampling frequency of both models is 1 GHz. I need to measure the amplitude of a simple sine wave with a frequency of 150 MHz. Which model is better for this task? It is clear that the first model will give a more correct measurement and not just observation of the signal shape and its presence. So your conclusion is controversial. ;)

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 05:34:03 pm »
I need to measure the amplitude of a simple sine wave with a frequency of 150 MHz. Which model is better for this task?

both, just use different correction coefficient

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:41:03 pm »
I need to measure the amplitude of a simple sine wave with a frequency of 150 MHz. Which model is better for this task?
both, just use different correction coefficient
Didn't understand? The DSO5202P claims signal level -3db at 200 MHz. This is not standardized for the DSO5102P, what coefficients should I use? This is not serious!

« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:59:32 pm »
This question has already been answered.
Do you even read the answers?

Yes I've read the answers. Iam just not sure you understood the question. No need to keep posting in my thread.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:03:33 pm »
Yes I've read the answers. Iam just not sure you understood the question. No need to keep posting in my thread.

It's not your thread, that's not the way things work here.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:37:34 pm »
OK, I'll try again.

There are Hantek scopes that are made to run at 200MHz but have had there speed restricted in firmware. Iam asking if this scope is one of those and if so can the restriction be removed.
No.
I other words if this scope is hobbled I want to un-hobble it.   :-//
No, it's not.

The only thing you can "hack" is to activate the AWG, if it is not already running and some CPU overclocking.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:43:26 pm by Aldo22 »

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:55:18 pm »
I got it. I was just making sure I hadn't missed something.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf