Author Topic: Trying to find a vintage Philips specific, test gear mains connector plug?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline unknownparticleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Due to my inclination for collecting Philips test gear,  I have a problem!
The mains connector sockets Philips used on the back of their instruments through the 50's and 60's, was specific to them, at least I think so :-//

So, can anyone help identify it and confirm it is specific, or if not, what it is?  Then I need to find some, so would appreciate any help with that.

Image attached, in this case it's an RF sig gen.

DC coupling is the devils work!!

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Trying to find a vintage Philips specific, test gear mains connector plug?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 04:42:34 pm »
It occurred to me that some might be interested to see the front panel so :-

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 06:40:58 pm »
It might help to add some measurements of the connector and the pin pitch/diameter.

Edit: If it's #31 in this link: https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html

Then they state DIN 94941 (earthed) is the matching connector, see #28.

David
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:49:18 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: unknownparticle

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 06:57:33 pm »
It is hard to judge the scale, but that looks a good candidate for a IEC connector conversion. Probably cheapest and safest route too.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:58:36 pm »
There's more pictures with measurements, but I doubt "European Giant Pin" is the official name, here: http://madrona.ca/e/powerConn/index.html#euroGiantPin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 07:03:10 pm »
It might help to add some measurements of the connector and the pin pitch/diameter.

Edit: If it's #31 in this link: https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html

Then they state DIN 94941 (earthed) is the matching connector, see #28.

David

Yup, bullseye, thats it!!  Thanks very much, also for the plug and socket museum link, wasn't aware of it!!  So, now to find some plugs from somewhere!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 07:05:10 pm »
It is hard to judge the scale, but that looks a good candidate for a IEC connector conversion. Probably cheapest and safest route too.

I want to avoid that if possible, would really like to find some complete leads, or at least some plugs.  For some reason, old Philips test gear never seems to be found with their mains leads!

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 06:47:24 am »
It looks like the ones used for electric irons or toasters. https://www.textilkabel-shop.de/Waffeleisenstecker-klassischer-Heissgeraetestecker. Distance mid-mid is 19mm, diameter is 6 mm. you should check this.
You will find a shop nearer to your location, too.

on the madrona site the inlet is for 3 wire, like your philips, the cable in the picture is only 2 wire, which you can't use.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:36:48 am »
I think that the measurement is necessary. From the picture, the size seems smaller compared to what RolandK mentions, but on the other hand it fits to description in socket museum.

In Czech republic it is quite common socket, since it had been used in Remos "table oven" and almost everyone had it at home. In comparison with irons there was no reason to replace them, so the spare parts are produced till today to keep even the oldest ones running (I have did small upgrade on mine ;) ). In Czech the connector is in 99% connected with word "remos" or "remoska".  You can buy new whole cable or only socket or second hand, in case that you will not found one who has the cable at home and get is for free.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 12:43:46 pm »
Just noticed something, those suggested plugs have an oval shape, or straight sides with radius-ed ends, the socket is rectangular! Damn! I thought we had it!

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 12:57:50 pm »
You have read the description of connector pictured in #31.  :-//
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html

31 Appliance inlet with 6 mm pins, spaced at 19 mm suitable for DIN VDE 9409 and DIN 94941 earthed and not earthed appliance plugs (see nos. 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 - 22).    {WN}
The manufacturer is unknown; the inlet has no logo, MPAD or certification marks.
Among others the Dutch company Philips has used these so-called "Giant pin European mains inlet sockets" in power supplies and other electrical devices in the 1960s (information given by Evert Liewes).

None of the referred to "suitable" connectors are rectangular, double check the dimensions of your connector and I'm sure if you asked, those with these could also check the size for you.  ;)

At the top of the page;

Unless stated otherwise, for each of the appliance connectors shown on this page applies:
(i) rating of 10A - 250V, and (ii) contacts are designed for 6 mm pins, with a spacing of 19 mm

David
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:05:18 pm by factory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf